newbie: cisco vlan newbie question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Guest, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    I have a router 1721 router with 2 WAN Interface Cards (WICs) and 1 buildin
    fastethernet:

    WIC-1ENET -> USED FOR INTERNET CONNECTIONS:
    1) Ethernet0 = is connected to a TV cable modem (for internet browsing
    etc..) and gets it's ip address from a dhcp server

    BUILDIN FASTETHERNET:
    2) fastethernet0 = 172.16.43.1
    This ethernet is connected to a third-party switch (from TRENDNET) where I
    have my home network connected: 172.16.43.0 / 255.255.255.0
    All PCs get there ip address from a dhcp server running on the cisco router.

    I have bought a WIC-4ESW Cisco 4-Port Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface
    Card
    Which are:
    3) fastethernet1
    4) fastethernet2
    5) fastethernet3
    6) fastethernet4

    I would like to connect a PC to fastethernet1 (from WIC-4ESW ) with an ip
    address of 172.16.1.1
    a) The pc (with IP 172.16.1.1) should be able to ping any host on the
    internet
    b) The pc (with IP 172.16.1.1) should be able to ping any host on the
    network 172.16.43.0
    c) The network 172.16.43.0 should be able to ping the 172.16.1.1 host

    How do I have to configure the vlan stuff etc....?
    Unfortunately I have no experience and no idea how to do a vlan
    configuration.
    So "any" help (links, books etc) would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    Guest, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    And how do VLANs figure into this?????

    Guest, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Hi, VLAN configuration is not needed in your scenario.

    Pedro Gil Morales, Jun 6, 2004
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,
    Thx for answering
    When I try to give the port an ip address, I get:

    ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0
    % IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links.

    So I think I need to configure vlans?!

    % IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links.

    Guest, Jun 7, 2004