    deny udp 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 host 192.168.41.1 eq bootps
    deny udp 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 host 192.168.41.1 eq bootpc
    permit udp any any

    DaveInPNG, Feb 17, 2005

  2. I doubt this will work: your list as written is denying unicast UDP/IP
    traffic to your DHCP server, where the DHCP request itself is a layer 2
    broadcast. Ask yourself how a client can communicate with the server over IP
    when it is yet to be assigned an IP address!

    BL

    Buzz Lightbeer, Feb 17, 2005

  3. DaveInPNG

    DaveInPNG Guest

    Yeah, I wondered about that myself.

    Any suggestions? Or am I stuck with added more hardware to filter the
    broadcasts?

    Thanks.

    Dave

    DaveInPNG, Feb 18, 2005
  4. DaveInPNG

    Merv Guest

    what is the network topology between the two areas of your network that
    you referred to and the two DHCP servers

    Please indicate for each device in the path whether it is a layer 2 or
    layer 3 switch

    Merv, Feb 18, 2005
  5. DaveInPNG

    DaveInPNG Guest

    The only devices being used are Cisco 2950 switches. Unless I HAVE to
    add something.

    Dave

    DaveInPNG, Feb 19, 2005
  6. DaveInPNG

    DB Guest

    Dave,

    DHCP separating can been done with either L3 switches and/or routers.
    The 2950 can not be upgraded to IP routing.
    Different networks could help you redirecting DHCP requests to the
    server you want.
    Why don't you use 1 DHCP server and make the DHCP range large enough?
    You could also tune the lease times. Or are there more DHCP clients
    then IP addresses?

    Dennis

    DB, Feb 20, 2005
  7. DaveInPNG

    Merv Guest

    So here is what is happening.

    DHCP requested from PC are sent to a broadcast address.

    If a DHCP request passes thru a Cisco router ( layer 3 device) then use
    of the ip helper-address can be used to direct DHCP request froma
    particul subnet/VLAN to a specific DHCP server. The Cisco router also
    insert the IP address of the router interface on which the DHCP request
    was received address into the DHCP reuest in a filed called GIADDR.
    This can be used by the DHCP server to assign an IP address from the
    proper scope.

    so you have two choices:

    a) enlarge the IP address range scopes on your DHCP server and continue
    to use your 2950 layer 2 switch

    b) add a router to you network and configure a 802.11 tru nk between
    the router and the switch, confiugre VL:ANS interface on the router for
    the subnets in your network and also add ip helper-address commands to
    these interfaces

    Merv, Feb 20, 2005