    If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
    will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.

    Vaughan.

    Vaughan Dodd, May 8, 2011

  2. Vaughan Dodd

    gregmcc Guest

    There is terranews.com, there is a small (a few dollars) on off fee for
    it, it's not bad, but a little slow

    Greg (another victim of vodafone)

    gregmcc, May 8, 2011

  3. Vaughan Dodd

    Peter Guest

    Currently, Xnet runs a newsgroup server.
    They did shut it down for a while, but it is back running now. It is fairly
    fast (compared to the free ones I've tried), but seems to have a restricted
    number of groups. 111,000 in the list, but seems to be missing some I'd
    like.

    If you are enquiring with an ISP, be sure to clearly state you are after
    newsgroup service. I would even say you'll buy their ISP service on
    condition that they include newsgroup servers in the deal. (Not that this
    has helped me in the past, but if enough people speak up about this, maybe
    the ISPs will respond).

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, May 8, 2011
  4. Vaughan Dodd

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Times have changed.
    Get a Usenet server separately from your ISP.

    Here are some choices

    1) news.individual.net -- Euro 10 per year; no binaries / text only.
    see http://news.individual.net/

    2) Astraweb - 25GB non-expiring block account for USD 10.
    see http://www.news.astraweb.com/

    3) APN - USD 2.95 per month
    http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

    Free servers

    4) usenet4all.se - requires registration; no binaries / text only.
    see http://www.usenet4all.se/

    5) aioe - no registration; no binaries / text only.
    see http://www.aioe.org/

    Ralph Fox, May 8, 2011
  5. Vaughan Dodd

    Vaughan Dodd Guest

    Adding this to check out. Have also discovered usenetserver.com, and
    although not an NZ service, might meed my needs. terranews.com as
    this might be a longer term solution more appropriate for what I do.
    Still end up giving Money for Vodafone to administer the data cap
    though. Don't udnerstand why they don't subcontract to a usenet
    provider ratehr than just pretend that it doesn't matter to their
    customers.

    Vaughan Dodd, May 8, 2011
  6. Vaughan Dodd

    victor Guest

    Two free options are http://www.eternal-september.org/ and
    http://www.aioe.org/

    victor, May 8, 2011
  7. Vaughan Dodd

    Vaughan Dodd Guest

    More promising that I thought, with two recommendations.

    Wonder if there is something to be said for the smaller ISP, in that
    there is no multinational corporate manipulation of New Zealand
    services to meet priorities not directly related to small groups of
    New Zealand users.

    Thanks.

    Vaughan.

    Vaughan Dodd, May 8, 2011
  8. Vaughan Dodd

    Vaughan Dodd Guest

    I noticed today that Acrix still lists its news server but I did not
    fancy the wholesale switch to a new provider, when all I want is
    usenet. I do have a number of friends who speak well of Orcon, and so
    long as the change over is easy and relatively inexpensive,. they
    could get my custom.

    I sem to recall that there were problems fo rme joing giganews and I
    wondered about customer support. Did like what was beingoffered
    though. Probably more than I need/use on a monthly basis.

    Vaughan.

    Vaughan Dodd, May 8, 2011
  9. Vaughan Dodd

    Boots Guest

    No.

    None of them promote it, and most of the large ISPs have already stopped
    providing an NNTP service.

    Boots, May 8, 2011
  10. Vaughan Dodd

    Donchano Guest

    I use individual.net for Usenet text (10 euros per year) and Astraweb
    for binaries (USD25 for 180GB). Very pleased with both and I've been
    using them since Xtra let us down and APN (now Easynews) became
    unreliable. So I've used individual.net and Astraweb for over two
    years without any problems.

    Donchano, May 8, 2011
  11. Vaughan Dodd

    Greg Guest

    Same deal with me, go to the vodafone group on facebook, and post a
    comment on the relevent thread you see there, looks like someone else in
    vodafone is taking an active interest in forum threads been deleted.

    Basically the only valid reason for a topic in the forums been deleted
    is the use of profanity, I know for sure that my forum topic didn't use
    profanity, and I know yours didn't either.

    I suspect that the person responsible (johnr) didn't like the content as
    I suspect that he may have had some degree of responsibility for the
    sorry state of the news server that's why he's removing the forum topics.

    to be perfectly honest I get the impression that johnr seems to think he
    is more important within vodafone that he actually is and needs to be
    taken down a peg or two. A lesson in customer relations wouldn't go
    amiss either.

    Greg

    Greg, May 9, 2011
  12. Vaughan Dodd

    Possible Guest

    Actrix

    Possible, May 9, 2011
  13. Vaughan Dodd

    Possible Guest

    Easynews is 10 times better as I have used both.

    Possible, May 9, 2011
  14. Vaughan Dodd

    Possible Guest

    Easynews 10 times better.

    Possible, May 9, 2011
  15. Vaughan Dodd

    Possible Guest

    Been there done that Easynew is 10 times better as you can Dnload
    binaries as zipped files 30% smaller also means faster and your unused
    cap carries over.

    Possible, May 9, 2011
  16. Vaughan Dodd

    Possible Guest

    Easynews 10 times better out of the 3 that I tried over a number of
    years.

    Supernews/Zippo and Giganews.

    Possible, May 9, 2011
  17. Vaughan Dodd

    Possible Guest

    Easynews does full decoded Dnload and unused cap is carried over, one of
    the best out of 3 that I have tried.

    Possible, May 9, 2011
  18. Vaughan Dodd

    Posterbull Guest

    Reading the very first post Roger made made using the nym Possible
    Yes I did 100% but a dick head like you have put me in a Kill file,
    this group is full of F--- Idiots..

    Posterbull, May 10, 2011
  19. Vaughan Dodd

    Geopelia Guest