New Zealand, on the other hand, has one of the lowest growth rates and one of the lowest levels of b

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by punlic, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. punlic

    punlic Guest

    New Zealand, on the other hand, has one of the lowest growth rates and
    one of the lowest levels of broadband penetration in the world.

    The broadband growth index ranks 35 countries from around the world
    and puts New Zealand's broadband growth rate at 40%. New Zealand is
    ranked third lowest just ahead of the Czech Republic and Latvia. At
    the end of 2002, only 1.74 New Zealanders per 100 are users of
    broadband services, says the report.

    More damagingly, the report also lists countries by broadband
    penetration levels - South Korea has one of the lowest rates of growth
    because it has the highest level of penetration, indicating broadband
    usage is at saturation point.

    New Zealand, on the other hand, has one of the lowest growth rates and
    one of the lowest levels of broadband penetration in the world.

    Telecommunications Users Association (TUANZ) chief executive Ernie
    Newman says he's not surprised.

    "It really just points to the need for competition if we want either
    penetration rate or growth rate to increase."

    Newman says Telecom has recently released some "good news figures"
    about the state of New Zealand's broadband market and he hopes that's
    the start of a trend in broadband usage.

    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/94643600C1DE8D5BCC256E85000CC139?OpenDocument

    punlic, Apr 30, 2004

  2. 256kb used to be the lower limit. I believe that it has now been
    increased to 384kb, but I could be wrong.
    They're certainly not using a measure which has never been accurate, but
    I don't know if it's still accurate. And generally it has to be 256kb
    bi-di, which Telescum definitely do NOT do!

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Apr 30, 2004

  3. punlic

    Allistar Guest

    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/94643600C1DE8D5BCC256E85000CC139?OpenDocument

    They (Telecom) include 256kb/s connections in the "broadband" category.

    From an international perspective is this definition satisfactory?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Apr 30, 2004
  4. punlic

    pbs Guest

    This is a computer news group so people who read and post here tend to
    be focused on IT. But to measure the broad band penetration in a
    meaningful way, it should be done against other domestic economic
    indicators to see if penetration is above or below the trend of those
    other indicators of wealth used in international comparisons.

    IMHO the raw numbers on broadband penetration are a bit silly. It is not
    the number of broadband connections per head of population which should
    be measured, but the number of broadband connections per premises (both
    commercial and domestic). For example if the average household size is 4
    people in one country and 2 in another, then if the number of
    connections is "only" 25 per hundred people in the country with 4 in a
    dwelling and 35 per 100 people in the county with 2, it means the
    country with 4 in a dwelling is 100% saturated whist country with 2 in a
    dwelling is not. However the crude figures would show the country with 4
    to be lower in a league table than the 2 in a dwelling.

    One also needs some sort of measure on population density. In the UK and
    the Netherlands, most people live in towns >100K so the local loop is
    short. If the loop is longer then it will probably cost more to put in
    broadband. Last but not least one has to have some sort of measure as to
    the utility derived from the service. It is not economically rational to
    pay have broadband unless there are services to go with it.

    pbs, May 1, 2004
  5. punlic

    samg Guest

    (Matthew Poole) wrote in

    Its 512kb in the UK

    samg, May 1, 2004
  6. punlic

    Alden Bates Guest

    But the important thing is...

    .... we're totally beating the Czech Republic and Latvia! WE RULE!
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Alden

    Alden Bates, May 1, 2004
  7. punlic

    Don Gould Guest

    punlic wrote:

    [..]
    I can't say this supprises me either.
    Yawn. Competition isn't going to impact that greatly on prenetration.

    More marketing and creating the perception of specials and value for
    money are what will increase penetration.

    Telecom are doing this at present. They don't want to grow their market
    to fast for a number of really really really obvious reasons.
    Ouh!

    Word of mouth is what drives bb uptake.

    As more and more people use the service the work spreeds.

    The price will come down naturally (there's a bunch of really really
    really obvious reasons for this as well and a few (more important, but)
    less obvious reasons as well).

    2c

    Cheers Don

    Don Gould, May 2, 2004