New Videocard - won't do previous resolution...?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2014.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi Folks,

    (Also posted to alt.comp.periph.videocards.ati but that groups been very
    quiet of late.)

    I play Path of Exile, have a QX9650 CPU with 6GB RAM (that I finished
    building in 2009) running W7 64-bit and was using an HD5670 / 1GBDDR5.
    However I was having to turn details down to keep a decent frame rate so
    recently bought a lightly-used second-hand Sapphire HD7770.

    I've been using CCC 13.12 for a while now with no problems. My monitor is an
    oldie but a goodie - A Dell 4:3 20" UXGA (1600x1200) IPS. I don't like
    short-screens for desktop use. However, when I play games I use 1600x900
    resolution as games seem to be designed to work better in short-screen mode.
    (They seem to set the size of the toon as a function of the vertical
    resolution so to get a reasonable amount on-screen at any one time the wider
    the better - within reason. This applies to the two games I play - Path of
    Exile mainly but also a bit of Diablo III.) This was never a problem with
    the HD5670, I'd just select 1600x900 / fullscreen in-game and away I went.
    Nice crystal clear picture with small black bars above and below. (I like
    playing full-screen mode and with the picture mapped pixel-to-pixel.)

    However, with the same driver and the HD7770 I don't get an option of
    1600x900 in Path of Exile (which is odd as wasn't that a fairly common
    resolution for 19" short-screens?). I get the full 1600x1200 offered,
    followed by 1280x720, 1280x768, 1280x800, 1280x960, 1280x1024, 1360x768,
    1360x1024, 1366x758 ad nauseam right down to 800x600. I can select any of
    the lower res modes and have them blurry - or have it windowed and have it
    clear but small.

    When it's windowed I can drag the window out to the edges of the screen (or
    double-click the titlebar) - but the biggest it goes is 1600x1178 (and has
    (custom) after it) - it reserves the other 22 pixels for the window's
    titlebar. However when I try to drop the vertical resolution down to 900 the
    horizontal reduces to 1594!!!! (And it's still windowed which I'd rather not
    have...)

    Can anyone help please? At the moment it seems I have a choice of the old
    HD5670 full-screen 1600x900 but with low details and frame-rate or the
    HD7770 running much faster but either windowed or running an ugly
    resolution.

    Thanks in advance.
    --
    </Shaun>

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).

    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2014

  2. [snip]

    I recently upgraded my GEforce 570 to a 780. Shit started to happen,
    until I completely removed and then reinstalled with freshly downloaded
    video drivers (not windows!). Now it's flawless.

    might be worth a try for you as well. Somehow something did not get
    properly updated after the hardware upgrade even though nominally the
    driver recognized the new card.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Feb 15, 2014

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    My 'new' videocard purchase coincided with a new Windows (7 64-bit) install
    as the old one got corrupted due to PSU issues causing RAM instability or
    something.

    Anyway it's a fresh install, with the latest drivers and it's still
    misbehaving. I tried fitting the old 5670 and booted into a game and I *was*
    offered 1600x900 fullscreen. I turned it off, switched cards back, started
    the game/s again and 1600x900 fullscreen option is no longer there to pick.
    <shakes head>

    The guy who owned the HD 7770 before me swears that it ran flawlessly for
    the <12 months that he had it (running through an HDMI cable to a 40"
    1920x1080 TV as a monitor). I believe him, he seems like a decent guy and
    I'm quite good at telling if someone's being truthful. (I picked it up and
    he demoed it running before packing it up for me.) I've emailed him since
    having the issues to see if he'd flashed the firmware or anything (he
    didn't) and he says he only ever used it in the one resolution, for desktop
    and gaming, and has now upgraded to something more powerful.

    It will let me run my games at native resolution (1600x1200) but the games
    that I play are rubbish at that. They set the character height as a function
    of vertical resolution so when playing 4:3 you don't get to see very much
    coming at you until it's already there.
    Alas! I'm at a bit of a loss. I thought I might get used to playing windowed
    but I'm not. Not only is the game area smaller but I keep accidently
    clicking outside the game. Also once or twice I've accidently clicked on the
    'window frame' as you would if you were dragging it or re-sizing and, when
    you do the game (Path of Exile) freezes. If I don't release straight away
    when there's stuff going on on-screen (if I'm trying to centre it again for
    instance) the game client drops from the server within a second or so. :-/

    ~misfit~, Feb 17, 2014

  4. Yes - I sure recognize that problem with inadvertantly dragging or
    losing focus by clicking outside a windowed game. Not that I have ever
    heard of the one you're playing .... I am currently playing Funcom's The
    Secret World which I managed to pick up for a few bucks on a special
    (and it's free to play). I had to go to fullscreen to avoid trouble :)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Feb 17, 2014
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    That looks like it's *exactly* what I want, thanks heaps. When I'm in less
    pain (so I can concentrate) I'll try it out and report back.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Feb 17, 2014
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    It's been driving me crazi(er)! When the going gets tough it's not hard to
    let the cursor stray outside the window a little. It's at it's worst when
    I'm trying to get the hell out of Dodge so click as far away from the toon
    as possible to make him run there - except I click on the desktop and he
    stands still! Or worse I drag the window and it all freezes while he gets
    killed.
    Free is good. Path of Exile is a game that expands on the type of game-play
    that Diablo 2 / Lord of Destruction made popular. While it's set in a
    completely different world it feels natural to play for anyone who spent
    ages paying D2 (like I did) and rewards planning and careful character
    development.

    What makes it even better is not only is it free to download and play but it
    was developed by a group of NZ gamers. :) 'Grinding Gear Games'. I'd been
    playing it in beta development and it went into general release toward the
    end of last year. Two top 'paper magazines' awarded it 2013 game of the year
    as did one of the big gaming websites.

    It's funded through what they call 'ethical microtransactions' - using a
    credit card or Paypal and starting at US$5. You can either just donate (and
    get a forum title to signify that you're a supporter) or buy weapon and
    armour effects in-game, extra storage space in your stash or even extra
    character slots (if 24 isn't enough for you). What you *can't* do (which you
    can with Diablo 3) is "pay to win". No amount of money spent on PoE will
    make your character better.

    It's the game that Diablo 3 should have been - if Blizzard weren't too busy
    working out how to milk it for every dollar they could - and make it easy to
    port to every console in existance (and so dumb it down).

    ~misfit~, Feb 17, 2014
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ok, the back settled a bit and the meds kicked in a while back...

    On reading that page more carefully it didn't seem to be quite what I was
    after but it was very close. They were setting non-standard desktop
    resolutions (and bemoaning the fact that AMD had started restricting what
    resolutions they could set) while I wanted a different resolution in-game.

    I have already been trying to edit the game ini files, on the advice of
    folks on the game forum, with no luck. Also I'm no stranger to editing the
    registry (albeit in XP) so I decided that, as it seemed close, I'd try what
    those guys were doing.

    I backed up the registry first - something that wasn't mentioned in the
    forum. ;) Then I proceeded to do as directed. However it made no
    difference - either to the desktop resolution *or* the in-game settings
    available. However, now I knew where in the registry the resolutions were
    stored I decided to exlore a little...

    In that walk-through the guy's changing the values in
    "DALNonStandardModesBCD1" and he speculates that "DALNonStandardModesBCD2"
    might apply to a second monitor, and "DALNonStandardModesBCD3" to a third. I
    looked in "DALNonStandardModesBCD2" on my desktop and it was essentially the
    same as "DALNonStandardModesBCD1". So I decided to add the resolution that I
    wanted in-game to that value and see what happened. I re-booted, started the
    game and... No luck. :(

    However, after spending quite a bit of time browsing through
    /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0001
    (on my machine) I was convinced that the answer must lie in there somewhere,
    likely in one of the entries that was of type "REG_BINARY" but I didn't like
    the idea of blindly changing stuff.

    Then I remembered that, with the exact same driver but the HD 5670 card I
    could get 1600x900 in-game and I had exactly that set-up in my second
    machine! So I moved over to that side of the room and spent some time
    browsing through the relevant registry entries on that machine and that was
    the breakthrough. In the second set of stored resolutions in that machine,
    "DALNonStandardModesBCD2" of the eight entries there seven of them were
    1600x900, just with varying refresh rates.

    So I edited *that* registry entry on my main machine to mirror the one in
    the machine running the HD 5670, saved, re-booted, started the game and...
    YES! 1600x900 (fullscreen) is now selectable in-game. :)

    So, thanks heaps EMB for putting me on the right track. I still don't know
    why swapping video cards (to a more powerful one) changes the registry
    entries and restricts available in-game resolutions (and changes it back if
    the cards are swapped again [?]) but at least now I know how to change it
    back manually.

    Without that forum post I wouldn't have known where to start so I owe you
    one EMB, cheers.

    ~misfit~, Feb 18, 2014
  8. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    Most of those reg entries come from the inf files used at installation
    time, so different drivers will result in different ones. Also they may
    be under a different GUID for each card.

    Custom resolutions are a prick on all recent windows. Back on XP with
    crappy cards it was easy to get 15kHz timings out the VGA card to keep
    my old CRT TV as an arcade monitor happy. Upgraded that machine to 7 (32
    bit because it is old) and just gave up and used the svideo out on the
    graphics card instead of taking the VGA to the scart input.

    intel are the worst. Was no way I could get PC modes with audio over
    HDMI to a TV from onboard intel, it was either PC mode as DVI so no
    audio, or reducing it to a blurry component video mode with 4:2:2 chroma
    and get sound to the TV.

    AMD are worse with them defaulting to massive underscan till I install
    their bloatware to turn that off, but when using any live USB distros
    etc it has an inch of black all around the image.

    Richard, Mar 2, 2014
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yeah, this must have been due to the GUID as, with the exact same driver
    (and Catalyst Control Centre) I could get the resolution I wanted. However
    put a newer card in and I couldn't. Put the older card in and yes, there was
    To be fair Intel's graphics solutons are rather a Claytons option (despite
    recent efforts to the contrary) - The graphics system you use if you're not
    installing a graphics system.
    While trying to get that sorted I read that, with their newer video cards,
    AMD are restricting available resolutions and refesh rates (and frustrating
    a relatively small but rather vocal group of users). Several posts I read
    said that, if you're intending to use a resolution that isn't within a
    certain small sub-set then you're best to go with nVidia for graphics cards.

    ~misfit~, Mar 3, 2014