    different levels.

    Then there's this ISP in HK, with one service only. Unlimited. Oh, and
    it's cheaper than all the plans of the Au isp too.

    santa, Aug 23, 2003

  2. santa

    NZed Guest

    I am looking at broadband myself....who have the best deals at the moment.?
    An average user ....less than a 1 gig a month
    NZed

    NZed, Aug 23, 2003

  3. It's not the broadband side of things they're concerned about.

    The caps and other restrictions are all about discouraging companies
    moving from their _extremely_ profitable DDS circuits to ADSL.

    Telecom gets around 1/4 to 1/3 of its income from DDS and related
    services. They can't afford for there to be massive uptake of ADSL in
    business.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 23, 2003
  4. santa

    Jay Guest

    No, it wont run at 256kbps. It will run *up* to 256kbps.
    Would you buy a house advertised at "up to" 3 bedrooms?
    At least you have a choice there.

    Jay, Aug 23, 2003
  5. santa

    Jay Guest

    Anthony Neville wrote:

    Which amounts to a grand total of 53 minutes of continuous use per month.
    Are you sure you are getting value for money at $2 per minute?

    Jay, Aug 23, 2003
  6. santa

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Thats the impression I get, but then his average usage is 800 MB per month
    so he is most likely interested in speed of downloading his email and
    browsing etc so that he's not waiting round for webpages to download.

    Chris Mayhew, Aug 24, 2003
  7. santa

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    So you have 2 accounts and just change the loggin ID and password ?

    Chris Mayhew, Aug 24, 2003
  8. santa

    art Guest

    A certain and reasonable percentage of people would have to be
    running it at 256 for them to say that, otherwise it is false
    advertising. Otherwise a sale a shop could say up to 90% off
    everything, but only has one thing that is 90% off, they will get in
    trouble with the CC.

    art, Aug 24, 2003
  9. I also like jumping from picture to picture in binary newsgroups and having
    them displayed in < 2 secs. Keep in mind that when downloading data within
    New Zealand only a ~tenth~ of the data is added to the usage. Downloading
    a RedHat distribution locally adds ~190MB to my usage instead of 1.9GB.

    Tony.

    Anthony Neville, Aug 24, 2003
  10. santa

    Who is this Guest

    Dowloading locally as ZERO to jetstart, I can download 1000G if I wanted
    to locally at ZERO extra cost. Sure its only 128k but it is still
    cheaper than a 2nd phone lins so someone can call me while I am online.

    Who is this, Aug 24, 2003
  11. Does the same zero cost apply to Jetstream?

    Tony.

    Anthony Neville, Aug 24, 2003
  12. santa

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Which ISP offers this plan ?

    Chris Mayhew, Aug 24, 2003
  13. santa

    Who is this Guest

    Does the same zero cost apply to Jetstream?[/QUOTE]

    A quick check on the telecom web site says tahst only jetstart has the
    unlimited national traffic.

    Who is this, Aug 24, 2003
  14. santa

    Who is this Guest

    XTRA, but go and read the costs of jetstart on telecoms site.

    Who is this, Aug 24, 2003
  15. NZ is not the USA. Get out and about sometime and look at a map of the
    world. There is a little thing called an ocean in the way

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 24, 2003
  16. santa

    Who is this Guest

    The look at the traffic patterns, the majority of the US traffic is
    internal, the majority of NZ traffic is external. Add to that the fact
    that all of NZs populationonly adds up to what 1/5 of New York, maybe
    less.

    Who is this, Aug 24, 2003
  17. Which is not to say that I think we should get a better deal. National,
    international differnet rates sound pretty fair and reasonable to me.

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 24, 2003
  18. So why don't the new plans offer *free* local traffic and only include
    international traffic in their cap like JetStream Starter does?

    THere's also more evidence that Telecom are ripping us off in
    tomorrow's (Monday's) Aardvark.

    Bruce Simpson, Aug 24, 2003
  19. And it also doesn't explain why flat-rate *true* flat-rate uncapped
    broadband (as opposed to Telecom's JetStream Home/Starter offerings)
    via DSL is available for a reasonable price in Australia.

    Does that extra 1,500 miles really make so much difference?

    And why, if the cost is down to all that distance between NZ and the
    rest of thew orld, are Telecom charging up to $0.20/MB for NATIONAL
    over-cap traffic on their new JetStream Home offeings?

    Bruce Simpson, Aug 24, 2003
  20. You don't need to be communist or a hippie to know when you're being
    ripped off.

    I've sat at business meetings where senior execs of NZ telcos have
    admitted that it only costs a couple hundred dollars to haul 2Mb/s from
    Auckland to Wellington, but they WILL NOT offer it at those rates because
    1: it would spark a price war of ungodly proportions 2: Would cause
    commerce commission enquiries about why the proces were so high for so
    long and (most importantly) 3: If they did, Telecom would simply cut their
    voice interconnects and refuse to restore them.

    Does anyone else find it a little strange that traces to the Telecom
    subsidiaries in Australia from outside NZ tend to go via NZ?

    Especially given those pricing differentials....

    Telecom charges what it charges BECAUSE IT CAN. What it charges has little
    to do with real world costs and far more to do with what won't gut its DDS
    market.

    BTW, if you think the charges on the customer side are obscene, you should
    see what they charge ISPs to interconnect to the ADSL network. It's
    significantly higher than Clear (for instance) sells international
    bandwidth for...

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 25, 2003