New UK Voip Forum

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by fred, May 6, 2006.

  1. fred

    fred Guest

    fred, May 6, 2006

  2. fred

    Ivor Jones Guest

    No thanks, it wants cookies.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 6, 2006

  3. fred

    David Floyd Guest

    Why do we want yet another forum? What's wrong with uk.telecom.voip

    David Floyd, May 6, 2006
  4. fred

    hairydog Guest

    What is wrong with this newsgroup as a discussion forum for UK VOIP?

    hairydog, May 6, 2006
  5. fred

    M.Dexter Guest

    Did he say there was anything wrong with it ??? .

    M.Dexter, May 6, 2006
  6. fred

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Well technically, this is a usenet newsgroup, not a forum.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 6, 2006
  7. fred

    Martin Guest

    Excellent. I'd far rather see web applications transmit my session ID
    in a cookie, rather than pissing about chucking it in an ugly URL
    parameter (which will appear in browser histories and proxy logs).

    Martin, May 6, 2006
  8. fred

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ok, if that's what you want. I don't trust cookies, and I clear logs and
    histories immediately after creating them.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 6, 2006
  9. fred

    Brian Guest

    Just reject them then. The site content will still be accessible.

    Brian.

    Brian, May 6, 2006
  10. fred

    M.Dexter Guest

    Only an Idiot wouldn't Ivor .

    M.Dexter, May 6, 2006
  11. fred

    Brian A Guest

    I have never worked out why they use GET instead of POST. With POST
    you don't see a query string. Some URLs do, indeed, get very long and
    messy.
    If they are just session cookies then they won't be recorded
    permanently on your disk anyway. Having said that, if all you want is
    to 'ID' the session then cookies aren't necessary. If writing in PHP
    then PHP sessions can be created instead and the visitor is none the
    wiser.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, May 6, 2006
  12. fred

    hairydog Guest

    Good point: you've identified what is wrong with it: you.

    hairydog, May 6, 2006
  13. fred

    M.Dexter Guest

    Did I say I had joined .

    M.Dexter, May 6, 2006
  14. fred

    fred Guest

    Well I think you have just identified why a new forum is needed! Far too
    much bitching going in this newsgroup.
    Fred.

    fred, May 7, 2006
  15. fred

    Paul Cupis Guest

    From the HTML spec:

    the method should be POST
    ***************

    You'll find something similar in the HTTP spec, I think.

    Basically, if the request does not change anything on the server, i.e.
    could be resent with the same result, GET is correct. If the request is
    likely to change something on the server (update database etc), POST is
    correct.

    Paul Cupis, May 7, 2006
  16. fred

    Paul Cupis Guest

    I would suggest that it is both.

    Paul Cupis, May 7, 2006
  17. Thus spaketh fred:

    This is a great Newsgroup.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, May 7, 2006
  18. fred

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Practically, maybe. But *technically* it is a newsgroup. A forum is
    typically software such as PunBB or phpBB, accessed using a web-based
    interface.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 7, 2006
  19. fred

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Oh yes, I almost forgot. A forum is nearly always moderated, so the
    rubbish we get here would never see the light of day if the administrator
    was on the ball.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 7, 2006
  20. fred

    news Guest

    There is a very simple answer to that. Just ignore the bitchers. Don't
    respond to them. They will soon get the message.

    And, please, everyone, stop quoting the bitchers in your replies. I
    already have Dexter and a couple of others in my killfile, yet I *still*
    have the misfortune to see their dribbling.

    If everyone does all of the above, there is no need to create yet
    another forum. This forum (defined in OED as "a place of or meeting for
    public discussion") is fine.

    news, May 7, 2006