New to It and 15 years old

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by NumLock, Nov 8, 2004.

  1. NumLock

    NumLock Guest

    Hey, I am currently only a high school sophomore (15
    years old) and my whole life I have been very interested
    with windows and programming. I plan on working at my
    dads job as a tech guy, system admin or something like
    that, im currently taking visual basic and going into
    java, but don't plan on being a software programmer; or
    really using those skills mainly in any career. My older
    friend said I should take a Microsoft test and get
    certified once im old enough... (If there are any age or
    experience requirements)
    It's hard to explain my experience since everyone has
    lower expectations since im so young. But I have
    experience with windows server 2000 and 2003 and
    networked 5 of my computers with 1 file server; I use
    remote networking over LAN and the net. And Im beginning
    work as a computer tech in a computer LAN cafe. I can
    format any version of windows and I have used them all
    for as long as I can remember.

    I think if I start young it would be better. Are there
    any qualifications that I need to take this test? And
    what is the minimum age to take a test? Im currently
    reading the Windows Server 2003 Deployment Kit: Deploying
    Network Services online book and I plan on getting more,
    what does everybody recommend for studying?
    I obviously have a lot of time to prepare for the test...
    But I want to get as much info as possible so I can be
    the best in my field :D

    NumLock, Nov 8, 2004

  2. NumLock

    Guest Guest

    1) You can information about certifications here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.asp
    2) Even if you know more than everyine else around you, without a 4 year
    university degree in CS or CIS, it will be difficult to progress upward in
    an IT department. You are probably still in high school, so you have plenty
    of time to prepare for that.
    3) I know you spend a lot of time studying, but remember to take time for
    girls, sports and travel or else you will get burned out on computers before
    your career even starts.

    WKidd

    Guest, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Hi NumLock,

    As far as I know there aren't any age or experience requirements for MCP
    exams, although there are recommendations. By your experience though you
    might find studying for MCDST or MCSE exams.

    Cindy Winegarden, Nov 9, 2004
  4. NumLock

    Guest Guest

    Dear Numlock,

    Enjoy life while you still have the time!

    After that just make sure you keep up with Microsoft technologies WHILE
    YOU'RE GOING THROUGH COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY.

    After that, check out Microsoft Business Solutions. My guess is that this is
    going to be big.

    HTH,

    Pieter de Bruin
    Avanade Netherlands
    MCSD.NET

    Enjo

    Guest, Nov 10, 2004
  5. Well i was at your age when i started out being freelancer, it took some
    time before the companies was conviced that i could manage most their IT
    administration. Well i used most of my sparetime after school to earn money
    on my interrest for the IT, but i stayed in school and so should you. The
    school gives you some opportunities for the future, which can help you in
    the progress of creating new products, and live your life side by side with
    the IT as the future income for you.. And please try too keep your time at
    work under 60 hours per week otherwise you wont bee there for long and your
    future family will not live with it.. And the last thing, trust on your own
    instincts, it will help in the long run..

    regards
    /Brian Knudsen
    Denmark

    Brian Knudsen, Dec 5, 2004
  6. Just to add, IT staff and managers often have to prepare budgets, write
    proposals, write documentation, etc. So, "all that other stuff" you learn in
    school is very valuable. I agree with Brian - finishing High School as well
    as getting a college degree is important even though it may not look that
    way in the short term.

    Cindy Winegarden, Dec 7, 2004