    really hapeninging before our eyes. :)
    Luckily, I loathe *all* "reality" shows. They simply aren't believeable
    enough for me. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 29, 2013

  2.
    Bruce Sinclair, May 29, 2013

  3. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I whole-heartedly agree with JohnO. I'll *never* agree to Direct Debit again
    (and have actually not used a certain company because it was their only
    option for payment).

    When I was paying Telecom I'd just wait for the bill then, as long as it was
    correct I'd log into my bank on-line and transfer the money to them. (Just
    set them up as 'someone you pay regularly' once and from then on it's easy.)

    I understand you don't want to do this Geo? It's pretty safe, I've been
    doing on-line bill paying for about as long as it's been an option in NZ and
    haven't had a single issue with it. Then again I always log in from home -
    never from a library or similar. <shrug>
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, May 29, 2013
  4. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    I don't particulary like direct debit either. However it is still very
    convenient to do a "bill payment" - online, rather than by cheque. It
    is secure and fast - but best of all, incredibly convenient and easy.

    Dave Doe, May 29, 2013
  5. geopelia

    victor Guest

    Its cheaper as an ebook :)

    victor, May 29, 2013
  6. geopelia

    bugalugs Guest

    +1

    I have 6 or 8 organisations which I pay on-line. (Telecom, Power, Rates
    Electricity, Credit Cards, Rubbish collection, etc) The bill arrives, I
    log on to the bank account, check the date due, arrange payment the day
    before, forget about it.

    bugalugs, May 29, 2013
  7. geopelia

    bugalugs Guest

    bugalugs, May 29, 2013
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    On Tuesday, 28 May 2013 01:06:52 UTC+12, geopelia wrote:
    That means they will just help themselves to your bank account as they see
    fit. Most of the time that should be the amount of your bill but if for some
    reason they believe you have spent $5000 talking to phone sex lines in
    Russia then they will still go ahead and take the money out of your account.
    So you need to watch your bills very carefully.

    Countdown and St John seem very good. But thanks, I'll check everything else
    on DD carefully.

    The Russians used to send me spam emails for Russian brides. I didn't bite
    and they seem to have stopped now.
    Or the spam checker stops them.
    "Nyet Tovarisch!"

    geopelia, May 29, 2013
  9. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    There are very few outdoor jobs in a city. It would be a shame if that one
    stopped.

    geopelia, May 29, 2013
  10. Probably ... but until all the stupid DRM rubbish is fixed, I much perfer
    having a real book. I prefer the smell/feel/look of it too. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 4, 2013
  11. geopelia

    John S Guest

    Hi Geo,

    I see from one of your responses to this discussion that you have a credit
    card.

    You can pay Telecom by credit card, and they automatically charge to your
    card on the due date.

    I've been doing this for some time.

    However, from 1 August this year they've advised me that they will charge a
    1.5% fee for credit card transactions.

    If you are paying a monthly bill of, say $50, then 1.5% will be 75 cents -
    less than the cost of a stamp plus envelope plus cheque?

    Telecom don't seem to advertise or encourage this method of payment, so you
    need to phone their accounts section to set it up.

    Maybe worth investigating for your needs?

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Jun 15, 2013
  12. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Thanks
    I think I will get a Direct Debit from my savings account.
    I use a credit card only for things I can't buy any other way. Don't believe
    in shopping with one.

    geopelia, Jun 16, 2013

  13. Don't ever do that as you have no control over it, just get a Pos card
    and pay the bill in the Post Office. or even by cheque at the Post
    Office.
    They are great in paying your bills as you can delay the payments for
    some 30 days or more.

    Frank Williams, Jun 16, 2013
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    What is a Pos card?
    Getting to a Post Office is a problem.
    I prefer to pay right away. With interest rates so low, there isn't much
    point in delaying payment from a Bank account.

    geopelia, Jun 16, 2013

  15. Point of Sale card

    You don't pay any interest if you pay it all in the 30 days..

    Plus there is if you don't have the money in it at the time you make the
    purchase..

    Frank Williams, Jun 16, 2013
  16. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I never heard of those.
    The Bank pays anything on my credit card each month, but I use it so rarely.
    still have to pay twice a year to have it though.

    geopelia, Jun 16, 2013