    And the economics are hard to refute - I think $0.30 for an electronic bill payment, vs $0.50 for a cheque, and $0.50 for a stamp and $0.15 for the envelope. (Don't quote me on the figures as it is ages since I sent a letter).

    I've never had a problem with security. You can pay almost everyone online these days. All banks provide a really intuitive interface, and I have never accidentally over or under paid (I'm with BNZ).

    Give it a go - you obviously have the computer skills and can always revert to cheques, but I suspect you will get hooked.

    rmcnulty72, May 27, 2013

  2. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I forget which program it was on. But it seems somebody did have money taken
    from his credit card.
    I never take mine shopping, so don't have to worry.

    TV isn't what it was back in the old black and white days.
    Brains haven't kept up with technology.

    geopelia, May 27, 2013

  3. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Won't the firm who sent the envelope get charged for it? I might get in
    strife with somebody over it.

    geopelia, May 27, 2013
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I was a postie for several years. We didn't get a uniform and didn't wear a
    bike helmet.
    There weren't all the holidays either.
    When it was a public holiday, we had to work the Saturdays. Now they get
    them off.
    But we got equal pay before that became universal.
    It was a good job in those days.

    The more they make snail mail inconvenient, the more of us will use email. I
    do wherever possible now.

    geopelia, May 27, 2013
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    No, I wouldn't do internet banking. There is no slot on my computer for the
    bank to send me banknotes. :)

    I prefer cash whenever possible, and cheques for the rest. But I might have
    to get more Direct Debits later on.

    geopelia, May 27, 2013
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I have to use a credit card for Trend micro, they won't accept anything
    else.
    Apart from that I only used it for things Hubby wanted that he saw on TV.
    Now it won't get used more than about twice a year.
    But I have it paid off by the Bank every month, so can't get thousands of
    dollars in debt like some silly people.

    I see Countdown have got themselves a credit card.
    That could be a good idea for people who use one a lot.
    They will get Onecard points when they use it anywhere.
    (I've got the Onecard of course, but that is a different thing altogether.)

    geopelia, May 27, 2013
  7. geopelia

    Pooh Guest

    Why? You've alraedy paid for it Geo. I don't do it regularly but I've done
    it in the past and will continue to do it in the future.

    Pooh

    Pooh, May 27, 2013

  8. Please get with it no one had money taken at all it was a Simple Demo..

    Frank Williams, May 27, 2013

  9. Cash is way way out of date Get With it..

    Frank Williams, May 27, 2013
  10. Hmmm ... given there are eraly stage 3D printers, perhaps a computer bank
    note slot is a possibility ? :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 28, 2013
  11. "1 person" often has things happen to them. That doesn't necessarily make it
    a problem for anyone else. Stuff happens. Bad things happen. But
    interestingly, you will *never* read a headline that says anything like ...

    99.999999% of little old ladies *not* assaulted this year. :) :)

    I note also that banks are (or used to be ?) very good when this sort of
    thing happens. Yes, I know that banks, insurance companies and everyone else
    want more and more to assign any and all risks to the consumer. We must not
    let them. :)

    Aint that the truth. :)
    And kids don't come with legs these days either (I assume, since parents
    take most of them to school in cars :) ).

    <sigh>. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 28, 2013
  12. Not in my experience. :)

    Useful for some things. Not, IMO, for others. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 28, 2013
  13. Rural delivery posties don't ... but they do get some long weekends (like
    Easter).

    (snip)

    I reckon they have a classic catch 22 here ...
    1) Not making enough $$ so put up the price.
    2) People turn away from posting cos it's too expensive.

    Repeat.

    I wonder also if 3 day delivery is actually legal under UPU terms and
    conditions. I wonder if anyone has checked ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 28, 2013
  14. geopelia

    Dave Taylor Guest

    So true :) You do get some gems, but they are hardly ever mainstream or
    advertised during prime time television. I know that I am not the target
    market for cooking or singing shows, but they sure do dominate lately.
    Good thing I have some books to read, made of paper :)

    Dave Taylor, May 28, 2013
  15. geopelia

    bugalugs Guest

    Don't think the UPU has any control over how many days mail is delivered
    on.
    The sensible thing for 3 day deliveries would be to halve the number of
    posties and give each postie 2 walks which they did on alternate days.

    bugalugs, May 28, 2013
  16. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I like the cooking shows. They show some useful ideas.
    But very few "singers" can really sing on the talent shows.
    They yell.

    And I read books on the internet, ones that most libraries wouldn't have.
    Old classics and translations mainly.

    geopelia, May 28, 2013
  17. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I've got it for St John's button, and Countdown home delivery.
    I prefer to shop myself, but in this weather home delivery is useful.

    geopelia, May 28, 2013
  18. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I prefer real money. And it's amazing how much small change you can save
    from week to week.

    geopelia, May 28, 2013
  19. geopelia

    JohnO Guest

    That means they will just help themselves to your bank account as they see fit. Most of the time that should be the amount of your bill but if for some reason they believe you have spent $5000 talking to phone sex lines in Russia then they will still go ahead and take the money out of your account. So you need to watch your bills very carefully.

    JohnO, May 28, 2013
  20. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Like Bing Crosby? Crooning is OK. It's loud bellowing and screeching that is
    so annoying.
    Haven't they ever heard a real opera singer?

    geopelia, May 28, 2013