    phones too, but I haven't got a mobile yet.

    What a nuisance, I've been with them ever since we got a phone.

    I await developments.

    geopelia, May 21, 2013

  2. geopelia

    JohnO Guest

    Cheques are an absolute curse to me and I avoid them. I try to pay
    everything online so I can get the transaction coded properly. That
    way everything comes into Xero coded and my monthly accounting effort
    is just about nil.

    JohnO, May 21, 2013

  3. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Yes, I could pay cash at the Post Shop. I might try that for a few months.
    I wouldn't use computer banking or a credit card, too much to go wrong.

    geopelia, May 21, 2013
  4. geopelia

    Fred Guest

    There is far less to go wrong than carrying cash and handing it over to
    someone, or paying by cheque.

    Fred, May 21, 2013
  5. geopelia

    Pooh Guest

    Set up a direct debit with your bank Geo. You can make fortnightly payments
    and you can make changes without any hasstles. I've been doing it for years
    with no problems or hiccups. Makes life so easy. I do it with all my regular
    bills.

    Pooh

    Pooh, May 21, 2013
  6. My understanding is that cheques are being phased out in the next year or 3.
    Not sure now where I heard this, but sending $$ through the post is going to
    become really hard if this is true. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 22, 2013
  7. I am with Geo on this one. There is much more that can go wrong ... the
    important thing to remember here is that the banks are trying to reduce
    their liability ... not ours. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 22, 2013
  8. That can cost some $$ depending on your bank.

    Bruce Sinclair, May 22, 2013
  9. geopelia

    Fred Guest

    Shucks - sorry. I was just going by statistics. Silly me.

    Fred, May 22, 2013

  10. Yes pepople don't Think when they post these answers, direct debit is
    not a cheap way to do things.

    Geopelia just get a EFTPOS card and pay in the Post Office they have
    machines that can do it automatic, its scans your bill and deducts it
    for you acct via the EFTPOS card..

    Frank Williams, May 22, 2013
  11. geopelia

    Liberty Guest

    Rubbish.
    Sure 30 years ago when direct debit just started. When there was the old stuff up.
    Now days it works a treat.

    Liberty, May 22, 2013
  12. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I do that with Countdown and St John. The bankbook page only says DD, not
    what it is for.
    It could be harder to keep track of than a chequebook.

    geopelia, May 22, 2013
  13. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    ASB seems to be free for most things, for pensioners.
    I'll check whether what they take out is the same as Countdown's invoice. I
    think it is the same.
    There might be a fee when they set up the system though.

    geopelia, May 22, 2013
  14. geopelia

    Fred Guest

    What's a bankbook page? Surely your statement will show what direct
    debits are for, or who they are paid to.

    Fred, May 22, 2013
  15. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I wouldn't trust EFTPOS.
    I've seen the problems that arise when somebody's card doesn't work and it
    holds up the whole supermarket queue.
    I've got a Visa credit card but only use it when there is no other way to
    pay.

    geopelia, May 22, 2013
  16. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    If that is true the volume of snail mail will decline even further. They are
    already saying it might be reduced to three deliveries a week.
    I wonder if the postal people will object to no posted cheques. It must be a
    large amount of their business.

    geopelia, May 22, 2013
  17. geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    That's odd. We got our Telecom statement on Monday and posted it back
    with a cheque yesterday.

    Donchano, May 22, 2013
  18. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    Cheques are on their way out. No where as many written as used to be.
    However the article I read said it would be about ten years.

    I still use them. They are good to pay a company in another city.

    Gordon, May 22, 2013

  19. Go into a Post shop and look at the scanners, THERE IS NO QUEUE this is
    the way I pay my bills, its Idiot proof.

    If you don't have a FTPOS card there is some thing wrong with you..?

    Frank Williams, May 22, 2013
  20. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    Totally, push the work onto the customer then their is less for you to to,
    and you can also charge for it.

    Remember also that DD is you giving permission for the person you are paying
    the right to take money out of your bank account. It can cause some right
    problems as the bank does not stop payments. See you have the problem, and
    the bank is SFA help.

    Just remember that your money in the bank can get a "haircut" just as in
    Cyprus.

    Gordon, May 22, 2013