  1. deryck  lant

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Thanks for the info, David.

    Bill Tuthill, Sep 12, 2005

  2. deryck  lant

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Yashica is a brand name of the giant ceramics conglomerate, Kyocera.

    I believe that Kyocera originally launched Yashica as a camera brand
    after WW2. The Yashica SLR fell behind Minolta/Nikon/Canon/Pentax in
    the autofocus wars, as did Olympus. Both exited the SLR business.
    Contax was Kyocera's effort to revive the SLR based on manual focus
    with high quality lenses with designes licensed from Zeiss.

    Minolta did manufacture Leica R lenses for a while, semi secretly.
    That contract expired decades ago.

    More knowledgeable people may point out errors in the above. ;-)

    Bill Tuthill, Sep 12, 2005

  3. deryck  lant

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Strange. I get sharp shots down to 1/13s with LCD composition.

    The main reason I need a LCD, aside from live preview, is that I do a
    lot of panoramas, and most of the time they are handheld. With an LCD
    screen it's easy to rotate the camera around its nodal point. If you
    have to frame with a viewfinder, it's almost impossible to rotate the
    camera around its nodal point.

    Alfred Molon, Sep 12, 2005
  4. deryck  lant

    ASAAR Guest

    It may be the most people using the LCD use poor technique,
    possibly not just in the way they hold the camera, but in the way
    their body posture is used. I don't know how you hold the camera,
    but the traditional method when viewfinders are used tends to have
    one hand providing more support than the other. Whatever "shake"
    component is contributed by pulsing blood pressure from the hands
    might be minimized if the two hands supporting the camera when
    viewing with the LCD are used more symmetrically, on either side of
    the camera. This might allow much of the pulse's effect from one
    hand to be cancelled by that from the other hand. Assuming that one
    arm isn't very much longer than the other, that is. :)

    ASAAR, Sep 12, 2005
  5. Alfred Molon wrote:
    []
    Many cameras have a panorama assist mode, where the previous shot is shown
    in the viewfinder (LCD or EVF) with the current shot preview superimposed.
    This can also be helpful for hand-held panoramas.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 13, 2005
  6. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    The message <>
    More from dpreview.com with some very interesting noise and
    resolution tests and some sample images:

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscr1/page10.asp

    Deryck

    deryck lant, Sep 13, 2005
  7. deryck  lant

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Yep, but with most DLSRs you can't frame with the LCD.

    Alfred Molon, Sep 13, 2005
  8. deryck  lant

    Darrell Guest

    At the moment most stores around here make around 10% margin on all digital
    cameras, dSLR or P&S. Nobody has margins on digital cameras.

    Darrell, Sep 14, 2005
  9. deryck  lant

    Paul Rubin Guest

    As the subject line says, the sensor is APS sized. The lens, however,
    is f/2.8 at the fastest. For theater shooting with an SLR or DSLR,
    I'd normally use an f/1.4 lens. Canon even makes a 50/1.0L but it's
    insanely expensive.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 15, 2005
  10. deryck  lant

    Alfred Molon Guest

    DOF will be however very shallow with a F1.0 lens.

    Alfred Molon, Sep 16, 2005
  11. deryck  lant

    dj_nme Guest

    However, closed down two stops (at f 1:2) it will should be nice and
    sharp with a DoF suitable for portrait work.
    A very nice lens.
    What I'd (realy) like to do is use my Canon 5cm f1:0.95 RF lens,
    unfortunately it was designewd for a M39 Leica body (Canon rangefinder)
    and can't be adapted :-(

    dj_nme, Sep 16, 2005
  12. deryck  lant

    Chris Brown Guest

    Not any more, they don't. AIUI, the T-stop on this lens was such that in
    reality, it didn't give you much of a shutter speed improvement over the 1.4
    anyway.

    Chris Brown, Sep 16, 2005
  13. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest