New SmartMedia Card not read by Oly 3040

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Boris, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Boris

    Boris Guest

    Hello,

    I had a failure of my Oly 128MB SmartMedia card, so I purchased a
    Sandisk model (much less expensive, I never used the panoramic
    feature, and the brand name card failed after less than two years
    anyway).

    After getting home and trying the card in my camera, I received the
    "card error" screen. I tried to reformat using the camera (I don't
    have a card reader), and the green bar will go all the way across, and
    then it freezes. The card will not be formatted or read by my camera.
    Any thoughts about this?

    Thanks,

    Boris

    PS--Please email a copy of your response to me at Boris M D at mac dot
    com (change the dot to a period, and remove the spaces, thanks)

    Boris, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Boris

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Try cleaning the card's contacts or the camera's card slot contacts.

    Alfred Molon, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Sounds like you have a problem with the camera and possibly not the card.
    First turn the camera off and slide the card in and out several times. Some
    dirt or other foreign matter may be on the contacts in the camera (and/or
    card)
    Put the card in and turn the camera on.
    If this fails, turn the camera of remove the card, and then remove the
    batteries for a few hours. Replace the batteries turn the camera on (w/ No
    Card in the camera) turn the camera off and replace the card and try again.
    If this fails go to Olympus' web site and check out the FAQ's and help.

    Helge Buddenborg, Oct 19, 2003