New rule (in our favor) regarding photo equipment carry-on luggage.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Patrick Lockwood, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. Patrick Lockwood, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Although ASMP may have taken up the issue for clarification, I
    contacted them (TSA) sometime back regarding "sheet" film and
    informed Steve Anchel at PV Magazine of their positive correspondance with me.
    PV Magazine published my correspondance so maybe its possible ASMP took note
    and did some more follow up. In any event its a good policy and hope it lasts.

    Gregory W. Blank, Nov 23, 2003

  3. How do they 'hand inspect' undeveloped sheet film? Clearly they can't
    open the box and look inside. Do they shake it or something?

    Leonard Evens, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Its probably swabbed, why don't you inquire to the TSA, they may be
    more interested in why you want to know ;-)

    Gregory W. Blank, Nov 23, 2003
  5. In that case, the less I bother them the better; ;=)

    Leonard Evens, Nov 23, 2003
  6. I wouldn't mind bugging them: someone ought to do it!

    (Unless you think we should just be good little sheep, do as we're told and
    let them herd us around.)

    David Nebenzahl, Nov 23, 2003
  7. Patrick Lockwood

    Deathwalker Guest

    no no you should be obscene but not herd.

    Deathwalker, Nov 23, 2003
  8. My guess is that they have dogs that are trained to sniff out
    explosives.....Also, if the new film packs are all plastic, then they should
    go through a metal detector OK.....In my day, they used thin sheet metal for
    the slides that actually cover the film plane, but today, they probably use
    plastic.......

    William Graham, Nov 23, 2003
  9. Patrick Lockwood

    Paul L Guest

    I just went from Seattle to NY & back, and in both airports it was swabbed.

    Paul L, Nov 24, 2003
  10. Patrick Lockwood

    Ken Davey Guest

    I quote from the referenced website
    "remove your undeveloped film from the canister and pack in a clear plastic
    bag."
    Eh???
    I do realize that this is a DIGITAL forum but..................
    Ken.

    Ken Davey, Nov 24, 2003
  11. You do realize this was crossposted, don't you? No digital forums on *my* list.

    And yes, you quoted the TSA correctly. I'm going to take a wild-ass guess here
    and presume that by "canister" they mean the little plastic can that 35mm
    cassettes come in; I don't think they're asking to open the *cassette*.

    D "but I could be wrong about that" N

    David Nebenzahl, Nov 24, 2003
  12. Patrick Lockwood

    Mike Fields Guest

    OK, how about "put your CF, SD, XD, SM memory cards
    in a clear plastic bag .. " ... better ?? ;-)

    --
    Mike "mikey" Fields
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike.fields/

    Linux users brag on how long their system stays up,
    Window users assume it's a temporary condition ...

    Mike Fields, Nov 24, 2003
  13. Actually I tend to take people at their word unless given reason
    to do otherwise, then if proven consistantly wrong I write them out of my
    book forever. No sheep required.

    Gregory W. Blank, Nov 24, 2003
  14. I just went from Seattle to NY & back, and in both airports it was swabbed.

    I'm not familiar with this....Swabbed with what? - How does swabbing detect
    the contents?

    William Graham, Nov 24, 2003
  15. I presume he means remove it from the little plastic can and just put the
    canisters in a bag....Along these lines, why can't they make the film
    canisters out of plastic? - Strikes me that this would eliminate the problem
    altogether......

    William Graham, Nov 24, 2003
  16. No.....It was refusing to steal money from taxi cab companies and car rental
    agencies to solve the states budget problems......It's typical of liberals
    that they don't think when they get money for the politicians....They just
    steal indiscriminately from anyone who happens to have it without any
    remorse or sense of fairness.....If your hobby is collecting cameras, you
    might have over $100,000 worth of Hassys and lenses, but nobody comes
    banging on your door every year to make you pay a property tax on them, do
    they? - Then why is it OK to steal money from car collectors and people
    who have to make a living by buying vehicles?

    William Graham, Nov 24, 2003
  17. Several years ago -- prior to 2001-09-11 -- I used to travel pretty
    regularly with a 4x5 and quite a bit of sheet film. Sometimes I just
    sent it through the X-ray, and honestly only once or twice did I ever
    see ill effects. However, often if I could arrange to fly at other
    than peak times, I'd bring a clean film-changing bag to the airport,
    explain that I was traveling with sheet film, point out the factory-
    sealed Kodak boxes, and explain that if necessary, we could open the
    outer boxes to reveal the aluminized, sealed inner bag -- DON'T DO
    THAT WITH FUJI FILM, THE INNER BAG ISN'T SEALED -- and, if that
    wouldn't do, the inspector could use the darkbag to confirm that
    there was nothing but sheet film in there. I never really had any
    trouble and seldom even had to use the darkbag (but the few times I
    did, the inspectors were polite and friendly).

    I did have one really nasty argument with a screener who insisted
    that my Graflex was "not a camera" and insisted that I tell her
    what it "really" was. She obscured her badge, then moved to another
    checkpoint when I walked away to find a supervisor. At least the
    TSA folks are -- usually -- more professional than the ancien regime
    were.

    Thor Lancelot Simon, Nov 24, 2003
  18. Patrick Lockwood

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ending a special tax break on car registration is "stealing"?
    Which is a classic tactic of Republicans. Borrow billions and
    trillions of dollars and shove the bill off onto our children and
    grandchildren. Nohonesty. No willingness to pay their bills.
    More evidence that one has to be stupid in order to be a Republican.

    Roads cost money. Lots of money. For some bizarre reason you think
    that the people who _use_ the roads shouldn't have to _pay_ for the
    roads.

    You just steal from anybody else to pay for your driving habit.

    Ray Fischer, Nov 24, 2003
  19. This is a common misconception.....The automobile registration fees are just
    property taxes.....Money for the roads comes from the gasoline taxes.
    Otherwise, our registration fees here in Oregon would be several hundred
    dollars a year....In fact, they are only $15 a year, whether you have a 10
    year old Chevy, or a new Mercedes Benz. In California, they already stick it
    to the taxi cab companies and rental car agencies by not letting them begin
    to depreciate their vehicles until the third year of ownership....IOW, they
    charge the full amount for registration fees for the first two years.....The
    excuse? - We don't need any stinking excuse.....We're banditos! All we need
    is money! - And we're going to get it from whoever has it....And the more
    they have, the more of it we're going to get! If the registration fees were
    to keep up the roads, then you should have to pay for your vehicles by
    weight, and not by price.....In fact, if you own a valuable car, like a
    Ferrari or a Mercedes, you really pay through the nose.....Thousands of
    dollars every year.....Even though your new, well aligned wheels car, puts
    less wear and tear on the road than would a 10 year old junker.........the
    very reason that Davis was ousted by the people was because of those
    exorbitant registration fees....Arnie was just keeping a campaign
    promise.......

    William Graham, Nov 24, 2003
  20. The note is very relevant also for digital equipment. All high-density
    electronics will suffer when x-rayed. The damage may not be apparent
    after a few zaps, but in the long run you'll begin to see failing
    memories and hot pixels in detectors, as electric parameters drift off
    their original spec.

    The note mentions "...photographers traveling with sensitive, valuable
    equipment." That covers also multimegapixel bodies. Travelling
    photographer's digital equipment may expect hundreds of x-ray doses
    during its economic lifetime.

    -- Lassi

    Lassi =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hippel=E4inen?=, Nov 24, 2003