    Please note that these are not meant for "HD Audio" but for "regular" AC'97
    chipsets.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 16, 2008

  2. finally. Thanks, Carlos. I've been waiting for these.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 16, 2008

  3. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Glad I could help, Charlie.
    One or two versions before it had known driver incompatibilities that would
    prevent the installation of Vista SP1.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 16, 2008
  4. *** here's the e-mail I just sent the tech guy at my workplace ***

    See http://www.crn.com/software/207500472.

    This just happened to me (I listened to the automatic Windows Update and
    installed this optional update) - and I need to use my computer's audio to
    listen to watch and listen to [censored] DVDs for the [censored] project.

    Vista people, if they haven't already got this update, really want to avoid
    getting it. It makes my computer unable to play audio anymore; even though
    device manager sees my audio hardware, Vista tells me down by the clock that
    "No Audio Output Device is installed".

    And my computer's PC speaker beeps loudly every time a dialog box pops.
    It's driving me crazy (and, I suspect, those around me).

    I found a Web site where Microsoft recommended this RealTek driver to fix
    it. I tried it, but it didn't work.

    However, I just got audio working again. Here's how:

    1. Go to to "Control Panel > System" (WindowsKey+Pause|Break)
    2. Click on "Device Manager"
    3. Open the tree "Sound, video and game controllers"
    4. Right-click on the audio device and choose "Properties"
    5. Select the "Driver" tab
    6. Click on the "Update Driver..." button
    7. Choose the bottom button: "Browse my computer for driver software"
    8. Choose the button _below_ the browse field: "Let me pick from a list of
    device drivers on my computer"
    9. Choose the driver "High Definition Audio Device" (NOT "IDT High
    Definition Audio Codec")
    10. Click "Next"
    11. Click "Yes"
    12. Wait for the original Vista driver to be reinstalled
    13. Click "Close"

    I hope no one else runs into this, but this fix worked for me. It doesn’t
    even need a reboot.

    troosevelt_26, May 5, 2008