    allan

    --

    Email Junkie!!

    Allan Birnbaum Ditlevsen, May 29, 2004

  2. Allan Birnbaum Ditlevsen

    Hamman Guest

    "Allan Birnbaum Ditlevsen" <> wrote in message
    > do u need to take out ur old type ram in order to use the the new?
    > allan

    What old type and what new type? thers at least 20 different slots and
    speeds.

    > --
    >

    > Email Junkie!!

    and now you will be a spam junkie for posting your addresses.

    hamman

    Hamman, May 29, 2004

  3. Allan Birnbaum Ditlevsen

    Stuart Guest

    Allan Birnbaum Ditlevsen wrote:

    > do u need to take out ur old type ram in order to use the the new?
    > allan

    Firstly your system will only run as fast as the slowest component, this
    is the same with RAM. There is little point buying faster RAM to add to
    the slower RAM you already have installed, the faster RAM will only run
    at the speed of the slower stuff.

    Secondly there are different types of RAM, you will need to check what
    type your motherboard takes. The current format is DDR (Double Data
    Rate) RAM this comes in different speeds, you can use any of the speeds
    but it will only run as fast as the motherboard allows, so if your
    motherboard allows for 200Mhz (100Mhz system bus) then there is little
    point in buying the newest 400Mhz (200Mhz system bus) variety as it will
    only run at half the speed.

    So you need to look at your motherboard manual and see what it will take
    and then go from there.

    Use the memory checker at this site http://www.crucial.com
    to find the compatible memory for your motherboard.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jun 7, 2004