    same printer is loaded for 32bit on the W2003 32bit boxes?

    TIA

    Lewej

    Guest, May 17, 2007

  2. There shouldn't be any problem loading x64 SP2 drivers on a 32-bit R2
    server. Nothing prohibits it that I'm aware of. Obviously, the printers have
    to have the exact same name, but so far as I'm aware the instructions that
    are on my blog should still be accurate and working. If there's a failure,
    it would be most helpful if we could go know the exact steps and the exact
    failure message.

    Beyond that, there's also no reason you can't have separate printers on
    separate servers pointing to the same physical printer when it's network
    connected. The only real concern is that you can have print jobs competing
    for the printer, since they don't know about each other. But on a small LAN?
    I doubt it will be a problem.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 17, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the response.

    To clarify we have five W2003 SP2 servers (non R2), and one x64 W2003 R2
    server.

    I cannot load a x64 driver into the x32 servers by going into sharing ->
    additional drivers and tikcing the appropiate box for each printer. The error
    it generated is:

    "The specified location does not contain the driver HP LaserJert 1300 PCL6
    for the required processor architecture.

    I note the suggestion about having two printers with the same name. I am
    slightly concerned, though we only have 60 or so users, thatwe may still get
    a print job clash; as we feed most of our stationary prints from our ERP to
    one rpinter.

    I did try to load the printer on the x64 R2 server, by choosing the
    ntprint.inf off the standard W2003 CD. However it failed with the same error
    as above.

    I could not find ntprint.inf on the R2 windows CD in the i386 directory, but
    only in the pritners/nt4/i386 directory.

    No idea why this is seeming to be an issue for me. Any help much appreciated.

    Guest, May 17, 2007
  4. I do this once or twice a week. The driver names have to be the same for
    the x86 clients to install the x86 drivers installed on the x64 server. x64
    printer servers are the best

    Follow the instructions
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/08/05/61685.aspx

    When adding cross arch drivers you need to point to the correct infs and
    files.

    Perform this operation first using some of the inbox drivers, then perform
    this using Vendor drivers.

    Point to the Vendor x64 inf for the printer, point to the x64 OS core
    drivers that the printer requires, point to the Vendor x64 driver files.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], May 17, 2007
  5. Alan is absolutely correct and points to the issue: the _drivers_ must have
    the exact same name. The problem is that there isn't a 1300 driver for x64
    included in the default OS. If you have one from HP directly, you need to
    point to that driver, not NTPrint.INF. Or, you need to use a compatible
    driver that can be used across both platforms. Check ntprint.inf for each
    platform and verify a driver you can use that is the same name. (you can
    open ntprint.inf up with any pure ASCII text editor. Just be careful.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 17, 2007
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi
    Thanks to both for the explanations.
    Cheers
    Lewej

    Guest, May 18, 2007
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi
    Well I managed to kill pritning for half a day here, and now it is working
    really inconsistently, which is causing a few words!!
    I have switched the x64 server off, and reloaded all drivers, but is still
    seems well stuffed up.
    Is there any other thing I can do to clear out all the invalid printer
    setting,s and try and get my netwoprk back to what it was last Wednesday?
    TIA
    Lewej

    Guest, May 21, 2007
  8. If you have a dump file of the spooler process failing we can attempt to
    identify the print driver which fails

    look for a *.dmp file around the time of the spooler failure. Load the file
    using the ntsd debugger (I think this is in system32 on Server 2003, if not
    copy it from an XP machine)

    ntsd -z dumpfilename

    type k after you get the prompt and look for the driver binary name on the
    top of the stack trace. ntdll and kernel32 are not print driver files.

    If the dump file does not exist look for a drwtsn32.log in the \windows
    directory. Look for fault in the log file.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], May 21, 2007
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Alan
    Thanks for the response - sounds very useful. I did get things going again,
    but it took a while (reloaded all drivers and rebooted every device!)
    Do you think I should update the schema on my x86 W2003 servers? The new x64
    server will be doing some printing for our ERP. Could this have been part of
    the problem?
    Thanks again
    Lewej.

    Guest, May 22, 2007
  10. Schema has no affect on printing. The R2 schema does allow one to deploy
    printer connections to the desktop rather than having to browse the network
    or know the print server name.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], May 22, 2007
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for all you help

    Guest, May 23, 2007
  12. Guest

    faf1967 Guest

    I know this is late but I would try using printmig.exe to move or install
    your printers if they were on a 32-bit system going to a 64-bit system. It
    might be worth a try.

    faf1967, Jan 2, 2008