    restart defrag and probably scandisk too.
    Try running in Safe Mode.

    Do you have Win98 or Win98SE ?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 21, 2004

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    °Mike° Guest

    You have another problem; you are posting one day
    in the future. Please adjust your TIME ZONE and/or
    system clock.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Robert11 wrote:

    .....Since you appear to be one day in advance, maybe some spammer has already
    caught your pc and is using it to send thousands of mails with
    date-in-advance. I presume you have no firewall, and no working virus or
    spyware scanners, just some outdated norton systemwork which you can't
    update anymore?
    Go offline. Start in "safe mode" (press F8 just after the bios screen and
    select the option). Run msconfig to disable every unknown autostarting
    service/program. Get a up-to-date virus scanner, and - most important - a
    "personal firewall" like kerio (free for personal use). Keep it at strict
    security setting first, at least until you got your updates.
    whois 24.91.223.149

    OrgName: Comcast Cable Communications Holdings, Inc
    OrgID: CCCH-3
    Address: 1800 Bishops Gate Blvd
    City: Mt Laurel
    StateProv: NJ
    PostalCode: 08054
    Country: US

    You are not behind the dateline :)

    Walter Mautner, Sep 21, 2004
  4. Are you up-to-date with Windows SP's ?

    I suggest you visit www.pcpitstop.com and have your system benchtested.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 21, 2004
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Jerry G. Guest

    Something is running in the background, that is doing a lot of disk
    access. Use MSconfig and evaluate everything that is auto loaded. Stop
    anything that is not required, and work from there.

    It is possible that you may have some spyware, adware, or some other
    program that is very busy all the time. You can use some of the free
    adware and spyware cleaning programs, to make sure that your system is
    clean from these types.

    There are also some programs that like to keep updating and streaming
    themselves in the background. When I locate these types, I disable them.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Hello:

    Running W98, and hooked up to Comcast broadband.

    Everything was fine, until today.

    When turning on this morning, HD just seems to keep grinding away,
    without
    stop.
    PC is almost useless, as it is now Incredibly slow.

    Tried running some Norton diognostics, and also Scandisk, but both keep
    coming
    up with msg's that they have to keep re-starting as something (else) is
    writing to the disk.

    Anything I can try to diognose the problem, or to
    determine what "external force" is perhaps trying to write to my
    HD without my knowlewdge ?

    What should I do ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Jerry G., Sep 22, 2004
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    JM Guest

    Wouldn't the symptom as described point to disk-memory paging? Add some
    ram, or kill some unnecessary apps.

    Robert11, Sep 22, 2004
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Robert11 Guest