    Ray Fischer Guest

    George knows that the images are competitive, which is why he pretends
    that nobody posts images.

    Ray Fischer, Feb 14, 2004

  2. R2D2

    Ray Fischer Guest

    LOL! What lunacy! Millions of cameras sold and billions of pictures
    taken, but none of the picture are real! They're all
    computer-generated fabrications!

    Ray Fischer, Feb 14, 2004

  3. R2D2

    Ray Fischer Guest

    What causes you Sigma buyers to become such irrational, lying,
    lunatics? Does Sigma put LSD on the camera next to the eyepiece?
    Is there a training video the hypnotizes people?

    What?

    Ray Fischer, Feb 14, 2004
  4. R2D2

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Do you have any idea how stupid you are?

    JPEG images (which everybody uses) will typcally compress a 6MPixel image
    down to about 3MBytes. Do you think that it throws away 85% of the
    pixels? After all, 3MByes is only enopugh for 1 MPixel.

    And yet the images look like 6MP images.

    That's because the processing of the image relies upon the fact that
    images typically have a lot of redundant information. Luminance and
    color doesn't change much.

    And that's also why a 3MP Foveon sensor really isn't much better than
    a 6MP Bayer sensor. It's just capturing more redundant information,
    and not doing a very good job at that,

    Ray Fischer, Feb 14, 2004
  5. R2D2

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    It wouldn't be right to insult all Sigma buyers.
    Preddy is unique...

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 14, 2004
  6. R2D2

    R2D2 Guest

    (Ray Fischer) wrote

    GREAT EXPLANATION!

    R2D2, Feb 14, 2004
  7. Wrong - Preddy and Guido are unique :)

    But - otherwise I agree - no need to generalize
    and insult all Sigma buyers.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Feb 15, 2004
  8. R2D2

    Larry Guest

    Yes, an insult to ALL Sigma owners is un-called for... I owned one for a
    day or two, and didn't like the cheese people my world suddenly seemed
    populated with!

    I could have lived with SOME of its quirks (non-exsistant detail shoing
    up in the image, noise ect) but good fleshtones are a priority for me as
    most of my shots have one or more non-cheese-colored people.

    Luckily I got a full refund and replaced it with TWO cameras that are
    BOTH superior to it. They are point and shoot, but they are BETTER
    cameras.

    I'm gonna stay with my Sony 717, my Sony V1,and my Canon G5 for a while
    then, this spring when the income from my photos picks up again, I'll
    buy a REAL DSLR (probably Canon, I like them a LOT!) (Also have a Sony
    Mavicam (the 5mp cdr one) but I dont use it much)

    Some of us can make mistakes, and then correct them, others, like GP,
    just go into "I'm right, the worlds all wrong" mode.

    Larry
    Mystic

    Larry, Feb 15, 2004
  9. R2D2

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Three crappy numbers are no better than one good number.
    Seen it. Clever, in theory, but difficult to get right in actual
    practice. The tolerances are so fine that it is almost impossible to
    get accurate results.

    Ray Fischer, Feb 15, 2004
  10. The sensor in the SD9 has 2268 columns x 1512 rows (as stated at
    http://www.sigma-photo.com/Html/news/news_sd9_fs.htm), or from
    http://www.foveo n.com/prod_f7.html it has a pixel pitch of 9.12æm
    centre-to-centre spacing of pixel locations with an effective area of
    20.7 mm x 13.8 mm; both of which give a total of 3.43 million pixels in
    the image plain. The sensor only detects light normal to its surface at
    the intersections of the rows and columns, it has no information about
    the light falling on the interstice. The SD9 gets 3.43 million pixels
    from 10.3 million sensor elements in 3.43 million locations on its
    sensor. The 10D gets 6.3 million pixels from 6.3 million (3072 columns x
    2048 rows) distinct locations in the image plain. Neither interpolates
    pixels, by default. They both interpolate colour, although the Foveon
    attempts to measure full colour at each pixel.

    Ian Robert Walker, Feb 16, 2004
  11. The sensor in the SD9 has 2268 columns x 1512 rows (as stated at
    http://www.sigma-photo.com/Html/news/news_sd9_fs.htm), 2268 x 1512 =
    3429216, even if we allow your fantasy of calling the individual colours
    at each photoreceptor site separate "pixels" that gives us 3 x 2268 x
    1512 = 10287648. Where do you get the other 3.4 million, imagination
    presumably.

    Ian Robert Walker, Feb 16, 2004