    resolution as the Canon 10D!

    Here is 10.3MP for comparison...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/25909558/medium

    George Preddy, Feb 9, 2004

  3. That's a 1.5 megapixel sensor. Even if all of the Foveon semsor
    problems have been solved (unlikely), at best it can produce really good
    1.5 MP images. It's competing against cameras from other manufacturers
    that are 3, 4, or 5 megapixels, and these other cameras will always
    capture more fine detail.

    A Foveon-sensor camera might be interesting if they could produce
    sensors with the same number of pixels as the competing Bayer cameras.
    But it seems Foveon is even further behind the current state of the art
    in small sensors than they are in large sensors. (The SD9/SD10 are 3.4
    MP when the competing cameras are 6 MP).

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Feb 9, 2004
  4. R2D2

    CoolJohn Guest

    I can't believe that some are so stupid that they don't see the fact that
    the Foveon sensor uses ONE pixel to see three colors, and a 3 megapixel
    image sensor from them IS equal to allot more than a standard 6 megapixel
    Bayer sensor.
    Is their head full of SHIT ? I guess it is .
    Go and read on the workings of the X3 and then you might open your eyes
    dumass.
    I bet in three years all cameras will have some form of the X3 in them, even
    Canon, they might be working on right now. I bet they have one in their lab.

    CoolJohn, Feb 9, 2004
  5. No, they know Bayers aren't competitive or they'd post images.
    lab.

    I'm certain they are trying, but you have to realize that Foveon's small
    staff has more CMOS and silicon expertise than all other manufactures
    combined. They literally wrote all the books. On their staff they have the
    inventors of the monochrome sensor now used in Bayers, the full color sensor
    in Foveon, the VLSI process used to make CMOS chips, the microprocessor, the
    digital video camera, adaptive silicon, you name it.

    George Preddy, Feb 9, 2004
  6. It has 1.5MP of full color information, same as the Canon 10D (actually
    1.58MP).

    George Preddy, Feb 9, 2004
  7. Now hoa - calm down a while here. It is of course better with 6 Mpixel RGB
    values than 6 Mpixel R, G or B values. NO one is arguing against that. But
    - 3 MFoveon pixels has less resolution than 6 MBayer pixels
    - Foveon pixels are not RGB, not even close. The green channel
    contains more blua end red than green.
    - Foveon/Sigma has choosen not to use anti aliasing filters.
    Still believe that 3 MFoveon is way better than 6 MBayer?
    Nicely put. We are impressed.
    The X3 pages at Foveon are full of BS. I guess that the product
    did not really live up to the origibal expectations and needed
    som creative marketing.
    Hmmm ... is it not spelled dumbass?
    I bet they are not and have not :)

    OK - they might do - and nothing wrong with that. I don't think anyone
    has declared that Bayer is the final answer.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Feb 9, 2004
  8. A 6MP Bayer only has complete 1.5M RGB sets. Same thing. In fact, when you
    select the Foveon's interpolated output mode (same degree as Bayer always
    uses), it records 6M output pixels. No difference.

    George Preddy, Feb 9, 2004
  9. R2D2

    Bill M Guest

    Yawn...nobody here believes your kindergarten math anymore, trot
    along...

    Bill M, Feb 9, 2004
  10. Counting is indeed kindergarten math. Count em... 1.5M.

    George Preddy, Feb 9, 2004
  11. SNIP
    The Polaroid has a Foveon chip has three layers of 1.5 million sensors
    each...
    I don't see the relevance of a 3.4MP image interpolated to 4.5MP, in the
    context of a new 1.5MP camera.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Feb 9, 2004
  12. You're wrong. Does that make you a 'dumass' too? Or does that mean your
    head's 'full of SHIT'?
    lab.

    Canon filed for this patent in 1996 and it was granted in May 2002 ...
    http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html ... Then click on 'Quick Search' and
    enter this patent number: 6388709. Note that this differs from the Foveon
    concept but the net result is that each individual photosite on the sensor
    will record R G & B values

    Simon Stanmore, Feb 9, 2004
  13. R2D2

    Bill M Guest

    Done...Canon 10D has 6 million + pixels. As explained many times
    before, adding the 6 million + together to make them "full color
    information" is idiocy.

    Bill M, Feb 9, 2004
  14. R2D2

    Annika1980 Guest

    From: "George Preddy"
    Polaroid and Foveon ... a perfect marriage.
    Instant shit.

    Annika1980, Feb 9, 2004
  15. Yep. It's 2003. A 1.5MP digicam just isn't all that interesting, even
    with the Foveon armwaiving. I predict the Polaroid x530 will be a flop.

    Albert Nurick, Feb 9, 2004
  16. George can't understand this; don't waste your time trying to educate him.
    Many have tried, but he's not listening. Better to just laugh at someone
    who has so much time to talk to spread his ignorance.

    Albert Nurick, Feb 9, 2004
  17. [CHOMP]
    Canon has a patent on a "cyclic" sensor, that at any moment in time can be
    sensitive to any one of the primary colours. This sensitivity is cycled at
    50000hz thus creating a "foveon like" chip where all colours are captured at
    the one photosite.

    It is rumoured that this chip (or whatever other secret squirrel foveon
    style chip that they may have) is only 1-2 years from market.

    AU Digital Photo Of The Day, Feb 9, 2004
  18. Doh! I should have read further down the thread before posting my reply
    above. :)

    AU Digital Photo Of The Day, Feb 9, 2004
  19. R2D2

    R2D2 Guest

    (Annika1980) wrote

    ROTFL

    R2D2, Feb 10, 2004
  20. R2D2

    cwvalle Guest

    even if it was 6mp which it ain't the polaroid is two years too late.
    The competition is now at 8mp - witness the nikon 8700, sony 828, and the
    almost here canon 8mp unit.
    It's the way it is, even the digital rebel is old news, the nikon d70 blows
    it away --- this week
    Next week the story changes
    It just keeps getting better
    But it makes no sense to call this polaroid
    anything but a lame duck..

    cwvalle, Feb 10, 2004