new plans 26th October

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Zipper, Oct 23, 2006.

  1. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    So it is nearly the 26th. The new plans arrive Thursday. Anyone seen
    anything exciting from any ISP's?

    Orcon seem to have said nothing more about what they have planned. I am
    currently on their advanced 40 plan

    256/128 40 gigs $59

    It works for me but 256/128 is looking far from advanced today, the 40
    gigs is what keeps me there.

    However I can't see a reason to stay there if Xtra are going to be having

    FS/128 unlimited traffic for $49

    the 700 meg cap during 4pm to midnight certainly won't concern me...

    Anyone else thinking of moving to that plan? I will wait a bit to see
    what people think of it but certainly seems a lot better than what I am
    currently on.

    Zipper, Oct 23, 2006

  2. Zipper

    whome Guest

    '128' upstream is a joke. I spew on their plans.

    Where is the 30 gig cap, fs/fs speed limited plan?

    whome, Oct 23, 2006

  3. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Well yes it isn't the best but FS/128 is certainly better than 256/128.

    That would be the new pro advanced plan or did you mean UNLIMITED plan? :)

    FS/FS 30 gigs $99.95

    I am tempted for that too, if it was 40 gigs rather than 30 I would
    probably go for it.. but I am thinking that going from 256/128 which I
    am on now, my usage will increase a lot with the faster speeds so I will
    need the full 40 gigs..

    Zipper, Oct 23, 2006
  4. Zipper

    whome Guest

    Woops, instead of speed limited, I meant throttled, ie, once you go over cap
    speed is throttled to 64kbps.

    whome, Oct 24, 2006
  5. Zipper

    Chris Lim Guest

    Slingshot have a little blurb on their page about new plans being
    announced on the same day (no details though). If they have a similar
    offer to Xtra then I'll stay with them and switch to the unlimited
    plan, otherwise I'd have to seriously consider changing to Xtra's Go
    Large plan.

    Can't believe they're still 128k up though. Is there a technical reason
    for that???

    Chris Lim, Oct 24, 2006
  6. Zipper

    kiwinebula Guest

    Nor can I and I'm not with slingshot or xtra.

    kiwinebula, Oct 24, 2006
  7. Zipper

    Vista Guest

    I have been having lots of problems with slingshot / callplus over the last
    few weeks. Constant disconnections in the evening, and when I am connected,
    parts of the internet totally inaccessible. There network satus page doesn't
    detail the problem, and hey have had the same phone message informing of
    problems for weeks. In total I have probably had about 2 days of outages in
    the last month. They are not willing to compensate for the outages, blaming
    telecom, an sayin that under their terms they don't have to provide a
    service if they have problems with their providers. At least telecom
    compensated for the outages when they had problems.

    Today I can't even access this website http://pressf1.co.nz/index.php

    Vista, Oct 24, 2006
  8. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    No, it is not a technical reason. More likely it is just because they
    don't want cheap plans with better uplinks competing with their business
    plans. Considering fullspeed uplink on ADSL is what 640kbits? they
    don't have much room to move between horrible 128 and fullspeed. I find
    it pretty pathetic that Telecom haven't offered some decent plans for
    home users with 256kbits up but hey that is telecom.

    Zipper, Oct 24, 2006
  9. Zipper

    Chris Lim Guest

    I haven't noticed anything unusual. The only problem I have with them
    is that sometimes the Yahoo Mail site is inaccessible for a few minutes
    at a time (happens once or twice a day, most days). It's not quite
    annoying enough for me to switch from them though (I never had that
    problem with Orcon or from my PC at work, so I'm pretty certain it's at
    Slingshot's end).
    I can't access it either and I'm currently at work (who go through
    Iconz).

    Chris Lim, Oct 24, 2006
  10. Zipper

    Vista Guest

    It is because they don't want people to have a good quality voip
    connection, otherwise people will use voip instead of their own fixed line
    service.

    Vista, Oct 24, 2006
  11. Zipper

    Chris Lim Guest

    Isn't that more to do with latency, which Telecom have been accused of
    deliberately increasing to ruin voip?

    Chris Lim, Oct 24, 2006
  12. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    As of the 26th you can request for latency to be turned off so that is a
    50 ms decrease right there.

    I think most voip services recommend having a minimum of 256 uplink however.

    Zipper, Oct 24, 2006
  13. But only on FS/X plans and not on Xtra

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, Oct 24, 2006
  14. Zipper

    whome Guest

    They cannot contract themselves out of the consumer guarantees act. They are
    the provider, they are supposed to give a satisfactory service.

    whome, Oct 24, 2006
  15. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Interesting.

    You guys need an "advanced 40 plan" that is FS/FS and costs $99 and
    gives 40 gigs

    Possibility with the new plans? or something close?
    There seems to be a gap in the middle ground with Orcon and its plans..

    it's from $59 with the current advanced 40 to $149 for advanced 60

    Zipper, Oct 24, 2006
  16. Zipper

    Invisible Guest

    Paradise / TC

    256/128 $24+
    FS/128 $36+
    FS/FS $44+

    +usage packs: 1GB = 2.95, 10GB = $11.95

    Done away with 5GB packs and gone is the throttling when you go over. They
    automatically add another pack to your bill.

    Invisible, Oct 24, 2006
  17. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Exactly what I was after, thanks for that.
    They have static ip's too?

    I will wait and see if orcon offer something similar but otherwise im
    moving i think!

    Zipper, Oct 24, 2006
  18. Zipper

    Fred Dagg Guest

    What is their shaping like, anyone know? And can they actually deliver
    what they promise?

    I tried Orcon and found that they couldn't. Ihug are doing well,
    although I'm still on a 2Mbps plan (40GB+40GB).

    Fred Dagg, Oct 24, 2006
  19. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    You have to be a telstra customer and you also have to spend at least 10
    dollars a month on tolls with them per month (otherwise they charge you
    10 dollars anyway). Seems a bit lame.

    Zipper, Oct 24, 2006
  20. Zipper

    Donchano Guest

    I've looked into Telstra's (Clear) plans over the past couple of years
    and found them so complicated and convoluted that I gave up trying to
    understand them. They really should look at providing some simple,
    straightforward plans that don't involve all the other shit.

    Donchano, Oct 24, 2006