New Photo Enlargement Software Gives Cell Phone Photos Better PrintResults

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Donald Henderson, Apr 20, 2005.

  1. San Diego, CA (PRWEB) April 19, 2005 -- A new technology has just been
    released called Imagener that enlarges pictures without loss of image
    quality. Cell phone photos often do not have enough resolution to
    deliver acceptable printout results. Cell phone cameras tend to make
    images at 160 pixels per inch, while the acceptable resolution for
    printing is in the 300 dpi range. Kneson Software (kneson.com) has
    developed new photo software technology that extends current enlargement
    techniques to analyze more of the image and give mobile phone photos new
    life.

    Limited technology exists to enlarge cell phone photos to print quality.
    Most commercial programs use a technique called bicubic interpolation to
    figure out how to add pixels that will increase resolution. Bicubic
    compares immediately adjacent pixels to the one being enlarged which
    starts to show those blocky squares above 200% enlargement. Even the
    most expensive commercial programs do not have enlargement capabilities
    beyond this bicubic method.

    Imagener’s "Progressive++" technology analyzes pixels well removed from
    each targeted pixel and then estimates how colors change based on
    overall image patterns. This fills in areas with pixel colors based on
    much more image information than current enlargement methods, and
    enlarges cell phone photos to printable quality.

    “Before now there was really no way to get cell phone snapshots into
    frames and up on the wall,” said Donald Henderson, president of Kneson
    Software. “You can enlarge in small increments in the high priced
    commercial photo software packages, but results are often not sufficient
    for printing. Another option is to take the digital file to a photo
    kiosk for printing, but these also use bicubic enlargement methods.”

    Improvements in enlargement methods have lagged behind other digital
    image technology developments. Today, the advent of evolved
    object-oriented computer programming languages like C++ has allowed the
    development of much more sophisticated means of enlarging digital images
    like those from cell phones. Products like Imagener extend the
    usefulness of cell phone photos closer to images from traditional and
    multi-megapixel digital cameras.

    About Kneson Software
    Kneson Software is a software manufacturing and marketing company with
    over 15 years experience in perfectly matching identified customer needs
    with world-class software development. Kneson Software develops all of
    its products using pure C/C++, programmed by developers that have used
    C++ since its earliest days of existence. All products are functionally
    and visually fast and highly tested for bulletproof performance. All
    Kneson Software products install cleanly, uninstall completely, and
    contain no Adware or Spyware.

    You can read more about Kneson Software at kneson.com.

    # # #

    Donald Henderson, Apr 20, 2005

  2. Donald Henderson

    Owamanga Guest

    <advert deleted>

    This has to be a scam, take a look at the source image and tell me
    that you can see the same detail that suddenly shows up in the
    enlargement:

    http://www.imagener.com/index4.html

    Owamanga, Apr 20, 2005

  3. Donald Henderson

    birch999 Guest

    HaaaaAAAR!

    birch999, Apr 20, 2005
  4. Donald Henderson

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Here we go again....

    Ron Hunter, Apr 20, 2005
  5. Donald Henderson

    Confused Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:32:35 -0400
    In message <>
    That's nothing new... used to be called DOPE... lol

    (That presh releash should be sent to the engrish polese. ;^)

    Jeff

    Confused, Apr 20, 2005
  6. Hah. Even the free Irfanview provides Lanczos interpolation. Lanczos
    is a type of windowed-sinc interpolation that can be scaled to *any*
    size of kernel, looking at an arbitrarily large number of input pixels
    for each output pixel. (Though Irfanview itself doesn't let you choose
    the size, it's got to be larger than the 4x4 input samples used by
    bicubic).

    But even the best interpolation methods only do a better job of
    preserving detail. A 640x480 pixel image doesn't have much detail
    period. In the case of my cellphone camera, it also has colour moire
    and other artifacts I'd rather *not* preserve faithfully.

    I'm sure the paragraphs above were written by a marketing person who
    went to the company engineers, said "tell me how our method is better
    than what already exists", came away with a very limited knowledge of
    interpolation, and then extrapolated from that. Hey - the marketing
    copy is *better* than the truth.
    This is utterly useless information. An interpolation algorithm is a
    mathematical method, and will give the same output (if implemented
    carefully) whether you write in assembler, Basic, Fortran, C++, or
    anything else. Besides, using C++ for software development is not
    exactly notable these days.
    I see no point in doing so.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Apr 21, 2005