New photo-blog

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by al-Farrob, Aug 8, 2005.

  1. al-Farrob

    al-Farrob Guest

    al-Farrob, Aug 8, 2005

  2. I have created a photo blog to post about one photo every day

    Can someone advise us computer illiterates (I've only got 30 years in the
    industry under my belt) what is a "blog"?

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Aug 9, 2005

  3. al-Farrob

    Pete D Guest

    Pete D, Aug 9, 2005
  4. al-Farrob

    Pete D Guest

    As ever, very nice shots, great part of the world.

    Pete D, Aug 9, 2005
  5. al-Farrob

    Kitt Guest

    Kitt, Aug 9, 2005
  6. al-Farrob

    al-Farrob Guest

    Well, somebody have already told you.
    When I was 20, 30 years ago, many words I hear nowadays did not exist yet,
    so I understand your probblem.
    You are luckier than I was, because you have people ready to be useful:)

    Thank you very much
    --
    al-Farrob
    "al-Farrob's one photo every day"

    al-Farrob, Aug 9, 2005
  7. 30 years, you sweep the floors?

    I have often found it problematic that when people hear that you are in the
    computer industry it is automatically assumed that you know everything there
    is to know about computers. "You must be an expert - can you fix my
    computer it's doing x, y z..." Well no. That's not what I do. I write
    Windows software. There's little I couldn't tell you about Visual C++, the
    windows API or COM, but when it comes to configuring your network or using
    newsgroups, I am probably more in the dark than your average teenage geek.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Aug 10, 2005
  8. al-Farrob

    Pete D Guest

    While that is commendable Keith you perhaps should RTFM, in this case Google
    and Wikepedia really are the manual, you need to learn how to use them.

    Cheers.
    ..

    Pete D, Aug 10, 2005
  9. While that is commendable Keith you perhaps should RTFM, in this case
    GoogleOh I am well aquainted with using Google. If I do a search on just "blog" I
    get 137 million hits. How many of these actually define the term and how
    many assume I know its meaning and want to give me other information, I
    don't know. Life is too short to find out.

    Sometimes its easier just to ask, and talking to humans is frequently more
    entertaining.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Aug 10, 2005
  10. OK, I conceded that a more refined search did yield an answer, but whilst it
    may be possible to find the answer on Google, I don't see that it should be
    mandatory. I tend to treat newsgroup exchanges as casual conversations and
    it's much less hassle just to ask questions as and when they come to mind.

    Keith Sheppard, Aug 10, 2005
  11. al-Farrob

    Kevin Guest

    Keith,

    My take on things is that your comment about "I've only been in the industry
    for 20 years" (or similar) is what caused a more inflammatory response than
    would otherwise have been warranted had we assumed you were new to computing.

    Cheers..

    Kevin, Aug 10, 2005
  12. al-Farrob

    Al A. Guest

    Just a note for future reference, if you or anyone else here is not
    aware, if you are looking for a word definition, enter into the Google
    searce bar:

    define:

    followed by the word you want the definition for. It this particular
    case you would use:

    define: blog

    Just another one of the neat things Google does. Note that I am not
    trying to be sarcastic of infamatory here, I've been using computers
    and the web for a long time myself, and just learned about this a
    month or so ago. Other cool Google stuff here:

    http://www.google.com/help/features.html

    Hope that helps,
    AL A.

    Al A., Aug 10, 2005
  13. My take on things is that your comment about "I've only been in the
    industrycomputing.

    Point taken. My excuse is that it is uncommonly warm for the time of year,
    I had a particularly tricky software bug to fix and was feeling grouchy
    yesterday. My apologies to anyone who felt inflamed.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Aug 11, 2005
  14. al-Farrob

    Pete D Guest

    Thats okay, I was being a bit of a wanker anyway. ;-) I hate the term myself
    and think its use should be criminalised. :).

    Pete D, Aug 11, 2005