    Can anyone provide a head to head price comparison between the new 6.1
    megapixel Pentax digital SLR versus the D100?

    pharro

    pharro, Sep 3, 2003

  2. In the UK: Jessops and others sell the D100 for £1349. Pentax's RRP for the
    *ist D is £1400.

    --Sophie

    Sophie Wilson, Sep 3, 2003

  3. pharro

    pharro Guest

    Sophie, how long has the Pentax been available?

    pharro

    pharro, Sep 3, 2003
  4. Pentax UK only published the prices last week. The two camera stores I've
    contacted for one are yet to tell me when I can have one - its mostly
    expected to arrive more towards the end of September. By which time, maybe
    I'll have sorted out the lenses!

    --Sophie

    Sophie Wilson, Sep 3, 2003
  5. pharro

    pharro Guest

    Thanks for the info. Not on the shelves in Oz yet. Do you know if the lenses
    are standard Pentax bayonet?

    pharro

    pharro, Sep 3, 2003
  6. Google for Pentax *ist D and you'll find a huge amount of info including
    sample images. The answer to your question is "yes and no". Ideally
    you'd use the new range of lenses but it will take everything back to
    the original K mount. I have a cupboard full of them so will examine the
    Pentax with interest - once the price drops a bit.

    Malcolm Knight, Sep 3, 2003
  7. pharro

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Not available yet but deliveries are expected later this month. I know
    several people who have placed orders (in the U.S. and the U.K.).

    I got to try out a pre-production version a few weeks ago and was very
    impressed.

    Mark Roberts, Sep 3, 2003
  8. pharro

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Accepts all Pentax bayonet (K mount) lenses with some restrictions on
    the oldest ones.

    The restriction is that K and M series (lenses made prior to 1983) will
    only meter wide open. There are a few of us working on some workarounds
    for this that will allow stop-down metering, but in general it's best to
    stick with A series lenses and later. That still gives you 20 years of
    lenses to work with.
    My interest in using the really old K lenses is that I own a K-15mm
    f/3.5 - a very useful lens to have with the smaller-than-full-frame CCD!

    I have some sample *ist-D photos on line:
    http://www.robertstech.com/temp.htm

    Mark Roberts, Sep 3, 2003
  9. pharro

    BG250 Guest

    Mark, I think I saw your shots from the camera of people hiking a couple
    weeks ago.

    Could you paste a 1:1 resolution image that is cropped around some detail so
    I (we) can see it up close. Will Pentax allow that?
    Thanks, bg

    BG250, Sep 3, 2003
  10. I had often wondered who bought the other one. ;-)

    Malcolm Knight, Sep 3, 2003
  11. pharro

    Mark Roberts Guest

    I'll check with my Pentax guy. The trouble is, that shot was taken from
    a great distance (obviously) on a day with a great deal of atmospheric
    haze, so it would be lacking in detail no matter what (especially so in
    the case of the shot taken with the 2x teleconverter). If I can post a
    1:1 crop, it probably ought to be from one of the closer images.

    Mark Roberts, Sep 3, 2003
  12. Johan W. Elzenga, Sep 4, 2003