    Is there any other diagnosis I should do? or have I bought a boat anchor
    that should be returned for corrective maintenance?

    Matt

    Dumbkiwi, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Dumbkiwi

    Rob J Guest

    All it means is there is power, nothing else.

    More than likely there is a problem with the CPU, memory or some
    critical onboard component that means it does not even get to the POST.\

    Ethernet uses separate chips that have probably initialised with power,
    you can get lights even when the rest of the PC is off so it means
    little.
    No, to get things like beeps or messages on screen needs some basic
    things like a working CPU.

    If the CPU is unable to start you will not get anything appearing to
    happen at all.
    Send it back.

    Rob J, Oct 21, 2005

  3. Dumbkiwi

    andrew Guest

    I agree, it's probably hosed. Sometimes the motherboard will tell you
    what is wrong by lighting up certain LEDs. It can do this even before
    the BIOS POST starts - if you have the manual for the motherboard you
    may find the problem, but its probably best just to send it back to
    where you got it and let them sort it out.

    Andrew

    andrew, Oct 21, 2005