New Nikon Film scanners in the pipeline?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Olaf Meyer, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Olaf Meyer

    Olaf Meyer Guest

    Does anybody know if Nikon has a replacement for the
    Super Coolscan 4000 ED in the pipeline?

    After doing quite a bit of research I've come to the conclusion that
    this currently would be my scanner of choice since I need high quality
    scans and also bulk processing options. I am aware that the SF-200 and
    SA-30 solutions are far from perfect, but they do their job if
    modified slightly.

    What is Nikon's product life cycle like? The 4000 has been around for
    at least two years, so maybe it's time to fix the deficiencies of the
    current model ;-) Is it worth to wait a few more months?

    Reflecta's approach with true tray processing capabilities (the
    DigitDia 3600) seem like a really great idea. Unfortunatly the
    scanning quality does not come close to Nikon's 4000 ED.

    Olaf

    Olaf Meyer, Sep 13, 2003

  2. Olaf Meyer

    Rafe B. Guest

    Right now folks are oogling over the new Minolta 5400.

    My guess is that new product introductions in film scanners
    will be slow from here on out.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Sep 13, 2003

  3. The 4000 is probably near the end of its lifecycle as the top of the line
    35mm scanner. However, a version of it might stay in the line as a second
    tier model, sort of like the LS2000 was upgraded and reissued.

    FWIW Minolta has released a 5600 model at nearly 1/3 less than the
    now-discounted 4000. Worth checking out.

    Gerald G. McGeorge, Sep 13, 2003
  4. Olaf Meyer

    Olaf Guest

    Thanks for pointing me to Minolta's new 5400 model. The specs look
    pretty impressive. I think I'll wait for some review on the model.
    Unfortunately the batch scanning possibilities are very limited
    compared to Nikon's 4000.

    http://www.dimage.minolta.com/elite5400/index.html

    I have sevral thousands of slides that need to be scanned, so I don't
    want to do the scanning on a slide by slide basis.

    Olaf

    Olaf, Sep 19, 2003