    Larry Hodges Guest

  2. Larry Hodges

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 20:52:53 -0800, "Larry Hodges"

    I am confused by the names now. Before it was simple, they were just called
    "nForce 4 AMD". Then they came out for "nForce 4 Intel". Now they have a
    category called "nForce 4 AMD/Intel X16". Installing the Intel-version on
    AMD, lead to trouble for those who accidently tried.
    Have they turned into a unified driver-package now? What does the X16 mean?
    I assume it has something to do with Express x16.

    Confused.....

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Feb 3, 2006

  3. Larry Hodges

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Feb 3, 2006
  4. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    I don't know. My guess is it that they are now producing a unified driver.
    I installed it on my AMD system without issue. But I run all SCSI and use a
    Creative sound card, so I'm probably not the best test case.

    Larry Hodges, Feb 3, 2006
  5. Larry Hodges

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Hmm, I downloaded and installed the "nForce AMD/Intel X16" on my MSI K8N
    Neo 4-board, and that works for AMD. I also saw there is a so called
    "professional" edition. Wonder what that might be for...

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Feb 3, 2006
  6. Larry Hodges

    Guest Guest

    at a glance I took "nForce AMD/Intel X16" to mean
    "either or" (AMD or Intel) with PCI-Express 16 support.

    Guest, Feb 3, 2006
  7. Larry Hodges

    McBain Guest

    AMD/Intel X16 is for new motherboards that support 16x PCI-Express in SLI
    mode (e.g. ASUS A8N32-SLi). The older boards only support 8x PCI-Express in
    SLI mode (e.g. ASUS A8N-Sli).

    I have no idea what the professional drivers are for.

    McBain

    McBain, Feb 4, 2006
  8. Larry Hodges

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks for the info. Should save a lot of unnecessary downloads. Basically
    adds support for the new Northbridge.

    John Barnes, Feb 4, 2006
  9. Larry Hodges

    Guest Guest

    "nForce4 AMD"
    Products Supported:
    nForce4 SLI – AMD
    nForce4 Ultra – AMD
    nForce4 – AMD

    "nForce4 AMD/Intel X16"
    Products Supported:
    nForce4 AMD X16
    nForce4 Intel X16

    I guess they are for the newer nForce4 chipsets which support two
    simultaneous x16 PCI Express connections.
    Carlos

    Guest, Feb 4, 2006
  10. Larry Hodges

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 07:57:08 -0800, Carlos

    Thanks Carlos and McBain for the info. My board has x16 but no SLI, and
    the drivers installed without problems. Too confusing this :)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Feb 4, 2006
  11. Larry Hodges

    John Barnes Guest

    Many times the program will appear to run successfully, but when you check
    the drivers you have you will find that they haven't changed because they
    didn't match the board.
    If you have looked into the various infs you will note the following
    Do-nothing section used to avoid "Unknown hardware" installation prompts.

    John Barnes, Feb 4, 2006
  12. Larry Hodges

    John Barnes Guest

    In your case since your board has x16 support, it probably has the new
    northbridge chip which these drivers support.

    John Barnes, Feb 4, 2006
  13. If you check version by version with nForce AMD (Nov. 2)
    only Ethernet NRM driver version changes to 5.09

    Mike Gleason jr Couturier, Feb 4, 2006
  14. Larry Hodges

    John Barnes Guest

    However, they do use the same version numbers across products (ie x86 and
    x64) and may (and probably do) have changes in the inf to install different
    drivers depending on hardware encountered. Since they have added a
    northbridge to these mobos to supplement the combined nforce4 chip for the
    x16 video capabilities.

    John Barnes, Feb 4, 2006