    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

    Dr Teeth, Apr 20, 2005

  2. I'm really impressed you achieved that. I twice accidentally tried to
    upgrade DG834G firmware wirelessly (in both cases I just forgot what type
    of connection I was using) and in both cases I ended up with the dreaded
    perpetual flashing Power/Check lights and was REALLY glad I had downloaded
    and saved the Recovery Utility.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Apr 20, 2005

  3. Sunil Sood

    Tiny Tim Guest

    Well it is a supported technique now, according to the Netgear website. I'm
    certainly not doing anything clever or taking any unusual steps. I just
    browse to the image file and click to upgrade. It works fine and has done
    several times for upgrades and downgrades. If it wasn't supposed to work
    that way surely Netgear would have retained their warnings about only
    upgrading over a wired connection.

    Tiny Tim, Apr 20, 2005
  4. Sunil Sood

    pzboyz Guest

    Well I just bought a DG834g last week, it had 1.05.00 but I upgraded to
    2.10.17.

    I have noticed that my downstream SNR starts off ar 20dB but after 12h
    or so drops to 13dB. If I reset the router, or just simply disconnect
    and reconnect from my BT socket, the SNR jumpc back to 20dB.

    Is this normal for the DG834g?

    pzboyz

    pzboyz, Apr 23, 2005
  5. I have heard that the odd unit does this. I would not worry too much, as
    long as it does not affect your connection.

    Simon Pleasants, Apr 24, 2005
  6. Sunil Sood

    Dean Jarratt Guest

    In your defence Jon. I have flashed a number of ADSL modem/routes from
    Netgear. The majority of the time to routers retain their settings, however
    now and then for no particular reason the routers will lose their settings.
    My advice is always *Always* make a backup of your settings before
    upgrading the firmware on any router. That is unless you know your settings
    off by hand and you can't be bothered to back them up. ;)

    Dean Jarratt, May 11, 2005
  7. Sunil Sood

    Colum Mylod Guest

    Netgear themselves recommended I upgrade, poke a wire into the little
    hole and load the .cfg wisely saved before reflashing. The upgrades do
    not guarantee running with data in memory from previous versions. So:

    Save cfg - flash - reboot to basic - reload cfg.

    Luck is what saves most people.

    Colum Mylod, May 11, 2005
  8. Sunil Sood

    Tim Clark Guest

    As I learnt only yesterday, with a Zyxel Prestige 791R router I have
    the misfortune to look after, a back up is not always enough.

    Following a problem with the SDSL service, "BT Business Broadband
    Advanced" (or whatever they're called this week) who supply this SDSL
    service bundled with the Zyxel router, required me to go back to factory
    settings on the router as part of the procedure they insist is followed.
    No problem, I thought, I've got backed up copies in two separate places.
    The reset to factory settings cured the problem, after manually putting
    in two or three settings, the basic service came back. So the router had
    screwed up. However, when I tried to upload the backed-up settings which
    I had gradually refined after several months last year, the router
    refused them as corrupt.

    Now I wish I had printed out the settings too! The moral is, don't rely
    on backed-up settings alone, unless you do know them.

    If only Draytek did SDSL modem/routers, I could then tell BT where the
    Zyxel should be rehomed.

    Tim Clark, May 12, 2005
  9. Sunil Sood

    Colum Mylod Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 20:52:52 GMT, "Tim Clark"

    [tale of woe where a Netgear rebooted but refused to load its saved
    config]
    After a reboot I had to hunt for its package to find out the default
    admin password, so it's not only the recent settings you need to note!

    Colum Mylod, May 13, 2005
  10. Sunil Sood

    Dee Guest

    I've been using this version for a week or so I'm sure .. anywya no
    problems with it.

    Certainly the beta firmwares helped solve a lot of problems I had with
    the original firmware

    Dee, May 14, 2005