New Netgear DG834/DG834G Beta released (v.2.10.17)

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Sunil Sood, Apr 16, 2005.

  1. Sunil Sood

    Sunil Sood Guest

    Netgear has released a new Beta Firmware for the DG834 + DG834G.

    This note describes enhancements and bug fixes in DG834 and DG834G Beta
    Release Version 2.10.17 software. The enhancements and fixes are those
    added since Release Version 1.05.00.

    Version 2.10.17.

    ------------------------------
    New Features Overview
    1. Added support for up to five IPSec VPN tunnel endpoints including
    VPN Policies and VPN Status pages.
    Note: Information on NETGEAR's VPN client software can be found on the
    Netgear Web site at:
    http://www.netgear.com/products/details/VPN01L_VPN05L.php
    2. The manual has been updated to include a chapter on VPN.
    3. Added VPN Wizard functionality to ease simple tunnel setup based on
    defaults suggested by the VPN Consortium.

    Modifications and Bug Fixes

    Version 2.10.17
    1. Updated the ADSL driver to improve ADSL2+ support.
    2. Added Knowledge Base and Documentation links under Web Support to
    the web management interface.
    3. Moved VPN pages to the Advanced-VPN section.
    4. Added VPN keep alive feature on VPN Policies page.
    5. Fixed a problem with keyword blocking
    6. Extended username and password fields on the E-mail page to 63
    characters
    7. Fixed a problem where if an SSID, passphrase, or PSK contained a
    space, it would not be properly restored from the configuration file.
    8. Fixed a problem where the date header was missing from email sent by
    the DG834(G).
    9. Port type is now shown on the Services page (under Security).
    10. Fixed a problem with PPTP passthrough introduced in 2.10.09.
    11. Fixed a problem with a special configuration where the router would
    not disconnect after idle timeout.
    12. Fixed a problem where a long pre-shared key could be entered on the
    VPN Auto Policy page which could impact router operation. The
    pre-shared key is now limited to 49 characters.
    13. Fixed a problem where the DNS proxy could fail over time.
    14. Fixed a problem where changing wireless security could reset
    previous wireless settings.
    15. Modified 128-bit WEP to fill in all four keys when a passphrase is
    used to generate the key.
    16. Fixed a problem where the log could show the hour as "24:xx".
    17. Fixed a problem where firewall rules to block by schedule may not
    work with a range of WAN addresses.
    18. Modified LAN settings to disallow the entry and report an error
    when trying to use the range 224.x.x.x - 255.x.x.x.
    19. Fixed a problem where Connection Status could show the wrong IP
    address for the DHCP server.
    20. Modified DNS proxy to support MX record lookups.
    21. Fixed a problem where Remote Management could interfere with
    hosting web servers on LAN IP address when NAT was disabled.

    Version 2.10.09
    1. Updated the ADSL microcode. ADSL2+ is now supported, and is
    currently undergoing interoperability testing with various DSLAMs.
    2. Improved wireless stability.
    3. Set default rule to "Drop" when NAT is disabled.
    4. Fixed a problem where the static routing table was not updated after
    DHCP was disabled then enabled.
    5. Special characters such as "/" or "$" can now be used for the PPP
    user name and password.
    6. Fixed a problem where Annex B firmware could be uploaded to an Annex
    A unit.
    7. Fixed a problem with RIP-2.

    Known Issues
    1. If popup blockers are enabled on a client PC, they must be disabled
    for certain DG834(G) management web pages to appear, including the
    connection test page.
    2. If a forwarding rule is set for a server running on the LAN, the
    server cannot be accessed using the WAN IP of the DG834(G) from a LAN
    station.
    3. When changed, the Administrator login idle time may not match the
    actual value entered.

    Also see http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102685.asp

    Firmware V 2.10.17 can be downloaded:
    ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/dg834_and_dg834g_V2_10_17.zip

    Regards
    Sunil

    Sunil Sood, Apr 16, 2005

  2. Sunil Sood

    me Guest

    Let me know when they get it finished ;-)

    me, Apr 16, 2005

  3. Sunil Sood

    Steven P Guest

    I'm still using 1.05.00 and its rock solid here : - ))

    Steven P, Apr 17, 2005
  4. Sunil Sood

    MM Guest

    :) ...at least they react to reported issues and fix them...unlike some
    other manufacturers I could mention ........

    MM, Apr 17, 2005
  5. Sunil Sood

    It's Me Guest

    Me too and not a problem so far, I may upgrade when it's not beta.

    Then I may not fix what ain't broke.

    It's Me, Apr 17, 2005
  6. Sunil Sood

    [ste parker] Guest

    Even then, I'd say unless there's definitely going to be a marked reason
    for updating the firmware I'd say stick with whats currently working!

    [ste parker], Apr 17, 2005
  7. Downloaded the update and no problems seen for the past 24 hours.

    Will netgear offer a cheap version of the Netgear VPN client for owners of
    the DG824G?

    Any suggestions for a cheap (free!) VPN Client to Run on Windows XP Home?

    Cheers,

    Matt

    Matthew Bailey, Apr 18, 2005
  8. Sunil Sood

    A Guest

    If I upgrade, will it transfer all my settings, or reconfigure?

    Jez

    A, Apr 19, 2005
  9. Sunil Sood

    kraftee Guest

    Some do (the last one I did didn't need reprograming) but I know some can
    wipe the units settings, but it's an easy job to back everything up so do it
    just to be on the safe side (it's in the menu)...

    kraftee, Apr 19, 2005
  10. Sunil Sood

    Jon Parker Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    If you upgrade the router is flashed and completely wiped. Simple
    solution is to backup your router settings before you do the upgrade,
    then after the upgrade restore the backup.

    Jon Parker, Apr 19, 2005
  11. That has never yet been my experience with DG834G.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Apr 19, 2005
  12. Sunil Sood

    Tiny Tim Guest

    I've upgrade my DG834G several times, most recently to the new beta release.
    I have never lost any settings during an upgrade. These days I upgrade
    wirelessly too - since V1.4 or so. I haven't had any problems doing things
    this way and I've had my router since December 2003.

    Tiny Tim, Apr 19, 2005
  13. Sunil Sood

    Jon Parker Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    Certainly was with my (now sidelined) DG824M.

    Jon Parker, Apr 19, 2005
  14. : > >
    : > > If you upgrade the router is flashed and completely wiped.
    : >
    : > That has never yet been my experience with DG834G.

    : Certainly was with my (now sidelined) DG824M.

    Not with any upgrade of my DG824M or DG834G!!! All settings are retained.

    Brian McIlwrath, Apr 19, 2005
  15. Sunil Sood

    Filthy Rich Guest

    I've done about 5 or 6 upgrades too and that has NEVER happened. A
    complete fallacy.

    Filthy Rich
    Music House

    Filthy Rich, Apr 19, 2005
  16. Sunil Sood

    Splodge Guest

    I've just upgraded from 2.10.09 to 2.10.17 and it retained all my settings.
    Same goes for 1.05.00 to 2.10.09.

    Cheers
    Splodge

    Splodge, Apr 19, 2005
  17. Sunil Sood

    Jon Parker Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    I flashed my netgear DG824M about 6 months ago and all settings got
    wiped. I had to restore from backup.

    Jon Parker, Apr 20, 2005
  18. Sunil Sood

    Tiny Tim Guest

    Fair enough. But a DG824M is not a DG834G. So what is the relevance? The
    topic here is about the new beta software for the DG834(G). The settings do
    not get wiped on that model when updating firmware.

    Tiny Tim, Apr 20, 2005
  19. Sunil Sood

    Jon Parker Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    In retrospect, there is no relevance. However I was responding to post
    with the advice of backing up settings before flashing a router.

    Fair enough it turned out that that advice was bollocks, I was wrong.

    But it's still good practice to backup settings before a flash IMHO. EG
    if the flash goes wrong (power cut) and you are left with a dead router
    then a backup is well worth having.

    Jon Parker, Apr 20, 2005
  20. Sunil Sood

    Tiny Tim Guest