    zip the files as no Winzip etc on MILs pc either.

    Any ideas??

    Netty

    Netty, Oct 5, 2008

  2. Netty

    Netty Guest

    Vista Home Basic came pre-installed, no recovery disc either:(

    Damn pc gave up the ghost 2 weeks out of warranty too or I would have told
    her to throw it back at PC World.

    Netty, Oct 5, 2008

  3. Netty

    Netty Guest

    Hmmm... but with no USB ports working either, that idea goes out of the
    window too

    Netty, Oct 5, 2008
  4. Netty

    Netty Guest

    Just had a thought... what if I downloaded the drivers to a slave drive in
    my pc then installed the slave drive into hers and rant hem from there?
    Would that work??

    Netty, Oct 5, 2008
  5. Netty

    chuckcar Guest

    Is this the install of Vista from the recovery CD's or is it from a MS
    consumer Vista CD? The reason I ask is due to the lack of drivers leading
    one to believe this is the MS version versus PB. *If* you can download the
    drivers alone from packard bell - all of those not working in device
    manager - by all means do it. At the least it will show you what hardware
    isn't working. The USB drivers *should* be on a CD that came with the
    motherboard. Otherwise you'll have to do likewise at Gigabytes's site.
    There generally is a recovery partition in a lot of consumer desktops. The
    recovery CD is *needed*, so ordering one would be *very* wise.

    chuckcar, Oct 5, 2008
  6. Netty

    TJ Guest

    What made you think that? There's nary a mention of a HD in the original
    post.
    Maybe. Maybe not. But I'd agree it's the OP's best shot. Of all the
    propriatary crap out there, Packard Bell is the worst. I'll be curious to
    learn when all's said and done, if the OP still thinks it was worth it not
    to spend the extra bucks and purchase an EXACT replacement board/chip from
    PB. I also wonder why anyone would purchase a machine without knowing
    they're getting at minimum, an OS recovery disk along with it. Not that it
    probably matters in this case an longer. Once you do any hardware
    "upgrades" the recovery disk becomes trash. You can't reset something to
    factory specs, once you've changed the specs it came from the factory with.

    <aside to OP> Windows has been able to extract .zip files natively since
    XP. No 3rd party software required. I've read Vista's extraction process
    can be buggy, though.

    TJ, Oct 5, 2008
  7. Netty

    TJ Guest

    From the original post;

    "PC boots into Vista fine but can't use dvd rom (doesn't show in
    Vista)"

    It'll be difficult to boot from a device that isn't recognized.

    TJ, Oct 5, 2008
  8. Netty

    TJ Guest

    Perfectly correct. So why did you initially assume he transplanted the
    drive? That's my question.
    What? On second thought, nevermind.

    TJ, Oct 5, 2008
  9. Netty

    chuckcar Guest

    Oh goodie, another top-poster. At least his email domain matches his
    brain. Re-installing the OS is only viable *if* he has the drivers. He
    doesn't have the recovery CD for the PB as he said, So it's not possible
    to do correctly.

    chuckcar, Oct 5, 2008
  10. Netty

    PeeCee Guest

    Netty

    The copy of Vista that is on your MIL's HD has drivers for the old
    motherboard chipset, you are rather lucky that it booted at all.
    May I suggest you copy the drivers from the Motherboard CD direct to the
    Vista drive by mounting the Vista HD in a USB external drive and plugging it
    into a working PC.
    Once the drivers are on the HD you can replace it into the MIL's PC and
    install as needed.
    Do be aware you will likely have problems with Activation and may have to
    call Microsoft's activation line (number will show on screen) once Vista
    realises it is running on different hardware from that it was originally
    installed from.

    You can try the restore partition but as those are written to restore 'only'
    to the hardware in the original PC you may find it won't install.
    And of course you can't write a Restore DVD as you cant see the DVD drive
    anyway.
    Never the less if you do get the drivers onboard and reactivate OK, a
    restore DVD from the PB tools menu (if they have one, HP for example usually
    do) will complain about not finding the PB motherboard and refuse to go any
    further.

    If you do need to go to a fresh install you will have to source a standard
    Vista install DVD and hope it will accept the OEM number stuck to the side
    of the PC.
    I've done this with XP successfully but have not had a Vista case yet so
    don't know if it will work.
    If you try this please post results for our info.

    Regards
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 5, 2008
  11. To sum it up, you have your harddrive with Vista home preinstalled for a
    mainboard you don't have anymore.
    You changed the mainboard and the processor.
    Now Vista does not have the mainboard/chipset drivers for that new
    mainboard's peripherals and probably even the network interface - you are
    lucky it even recognizes the harddrive controller and boots from it.
    Most probably Vista will require re-activation (maybe even impossible at all
    if it is bios-locked or OEM) when you finally get the drivers installed.
    Remember, booting from a cd or dvd or even a usb stick is a function of the
    bios, not the OS in the first place.
    To get the drivers on your drive, you may as well boot a linux livecd, mount
    the Vista partition r/w with ntfs-3g and surf/download the driverpacks to a
    folder you create on that drive. Afterwards, unmount, reboot windows and
    install the drivers.
    Of course, that will need a little linux experience.
    Some UBCD4win or similar livecd may do the same trick for you, in a more
    familiar environment.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Oct 5, 2008
  12. Netty

    Netty Guest

    Thanks PeeCee. Never crosed my mind to mount the hard drive in an external
    drive and doing it that way.

    Netty

    Netty, Oct 5, 2008