    What can I do to get out of this mess?

    Any pointers or suggestions happily received.

    Regards, Ian

    Ian Hooksem, Feb 8, 2007

  2. Ian Hooksem

    philo Guest

    If so then I have a new problem. XP, and all the various settings,
    passwords, broadband internet connections etc etc are on the HDD only (not a
    back up in sight next door), and I do not know where to look for them on the
    HDD. And no XP installation disks - the machine was bought new 3 or 4 years
    back with XP pre installed apparently.

    What can I do to get out of this mess?

    Any pointers or suggestions happily received.

    Purchase a legit XPcd of the *same* version as is on the drive (home or pro)

    then perform a repair installation

    philo, Feb 8, 2007

  3. Ian Hooksem

    Gazwad Guest

    Ian Hooksem <>, the
    buck-toothed-stumblebum and deranged Miss Thing who likes immoderate
    sperm infusions with camels, and whose partner is a playgirl with a
    nasty cock pocket, wrote in <RYtyh.85$>:

    So I treated them to an upgrade - bought a combo of a Foxconn mainboard, 2.8
    sempron and 512 ram - a 'barebone' system. My plan was to simply connect up
    the old HDD and peripherals, and off it goes. No such luck; it does POST ok,
    and the initial Winfast splash screen comes up, but it will not boot XP.
    Consult the manual, and it says that the new m/board will not work with a
    HDD from another system, and the HDD needs to be formatted. Is this correct?

    If so then I have a new problem. XP, and all the various settings,
    passwords, broadband internet connections etc etc are on the HDD only (not a
    back up in sight next door), and I do not know where to look for them on the
    HDD. And no XP installation disks - the machine was bought new 3 or 4 years
    back with XP pre installed apparently.

    What can I do to get out of this mess?

    Any pointers or suggestions happily received.

    Regards, Ian

    You need an XP installation disk and an appropriate key to go with it.
    The disk will need to be the same version as the one pre-installed on the
    original machine,
    the key will hopefully be on a sticker on the side of the original machine.

    You can get disks for free in numerous places, if the system builder didn't
    stick the sticker on the case and/or you've already binned it then you'll
    need to borrow one from somewhere and keep stum.

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Gazwad, Feb 8, 2007
  4. Ian Hooksem

    Otter Guest

    In
    (1) Have you set up the BIOS correctly in accordance with the manual?
    (2) Have you tried booting in Safe Mode?
    (3) Have you tried getting the same MB as the broken one?

    Otter, Feb 8, 2007
  5. i should consider myself lucky i suppose. i threw an 80gig notebook hd from
    one to the other and didnt have to format or anything :)

    i did have to defrag and that took a few hours.

    the pez lover, Feb 8, 2007
  6. Ian Hooksem

    Otter Guest

    In
    Sometimes a simple swap works. Sometimes it doesn't - what would you do in
    that case?

    Otter, Feb 8, 2007
  7. reinstall windows. ive bought several notebooks that have legitimate cd keys
    though, so all i have to do is download a copy online (i have one ive been
    using for a year or so, retail XP pro).

    the pez lover, Feb 8, 2007
  8. Ian Hooksem

    Otter Guest

    In
    What does the OP do, without either a CD key or XP, when he wants to keep
    all the settings, etc?

    Otter, Feb 8, 2007
  9. uhm, he can download a program that will pull the cdkey the seller of the pc
    used. with that, he can download the appropriate copy of windows (assuming
    his key is legit) and use that key to perform a repair.

    as for these programs and where they are located, google is your friend my
    son.

    the pez lover, Feb 8, 2007
  10. Ian Hooksem

    Otter Guest

    In
    Do you think that there might be a problem in using that program where the
    OS can't be booted?
    Impossible.

    Otter, Feb 8, 2007