New lens technology?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, May 23, 2005.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

  2. Joseph Meehan, May 23, 2005

  3. Alan Browne

    Owamanga Guest

    Owamanga, May 23, 2005
  4. Alan Browne

    ian lincoln Guest

    I saw a link last year like this. I think it used water and an electric
    current.

    The eye focuses with a jelly lens. the muscles surrounding it pull it
    taught for distance focus and for close focusing relax. Once relaxed the
    lens forms a more spherical shape which of course increases its refraction.
    I'm not sure how this lens works exactly. I suppose electricity might cause
    an expansion or contraction but i'm not sure how a laser would do it.
    Perhaps it is heated, no that would normally make a sustance expand so that
    would reduce the density. I'm not sure how a material would respond by
    contracting. All in all it sounds expensive. Besides you nead a set of
    lenses before you can zoom.

    ian lincoln, May 23, 2005
  5. My cell phone takes images which are *far* poorer than the pixel
    limitations alone can excuse. Compare the first and second photos at
    <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/2005/05310-May Cats/>;
    the first one was taken with a Fuji S2, and resized to 700xwhatever.
    The second was taken with my Nokia phone, and is the full original
    size (640x480). There are lots of problems with that photo beyond
    being limited to that small size!

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 23, 2005
  6. Alan Browne

    Cynicor Guest

    Oh yeah. But without a cell phone, how would I get treasured concert pix
    like this? http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1037/516/0/Image025-751972.jpg

    I think the problem was that I couldn't find a 3mm diameter UV filter.

    Cynicor, May 23, 2005
  7. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Then you missed the rest that discsussed the potential for other camera
    applications.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, May 23, 2005
  8. Actually, when you think about it, the human eye must be a zoom lens.
    The effect of changing the curvature of the lens is to change its focal
    length. Since the image distance is fixed, this also changes the
    distance at which objects are in focus. So, what you need is not a set
    of lenses, but an extendible eyeball!

    David

    David Littlewood, May 23, 2005
  9. Alan Browne

    Colin D Guest

    Colin D, May 23, 2005
  10. Alan Browne

    Bruce Graham Guest

    I had one of those when I was young and a pretty girl walked by.

    Bruce Graham, May 24, 2005
  11. I hear ya. Think that's bad? Try finding a 2-stop grad ND filter for
    that puppy.

    Unclaimed Mysteries, May 24, 2005
  12. Boy, that *would* be hard to live without. I see your point.
    Tape a bigger one on, covering the lens.

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 24, 2005
  13. Alan Browne

    Colin D Guest

    He said EYE-ball.

    Colin

    Colin D, May 24, 2005
  14. Not really....It's field of view and magnification are fixed. It's auto
    focus though. It would be interesting if there was an animal with a "zoom
    eye". But I think it would have to have a multi-element lens, and I know of
    no animal that has this......Perhaps in another few million years of
    evolution.

    William Graham, May 24, 2005
  15. Alan Browne

    Colin D Guest

    Oops - forgot the smiley {:)

    Colin

    Colin D, May 24, 2005
  16. Alan Browne

    Ron Hunter Guest

    No? What about Eagles and other birds of prey? Their vision manages to
    get that effect, somehow.

    Ron Hunter, May 24, 2005
  17. Alan Browne

    ASAAR Guest

    But having a "zoom eye" would be tantamount to cheating. Who'd
    have thought eagles and falcons would stoop so low?

    (!)

    ASAAR, May 24, 2005
  18. Alan Browne

    Stacey Guest

    Stacey, May 24, 2005
  19. Eagles and hawks get their superb vision from an inordinately large number
    of very sensitive rods and cones in their retinas. Otherwise, their eyes
    work exactly as do ours......

    William Graham, May 24, 2005
  20. Be sure to use clear tape.

    Joseph Meehan, May 24, 2005