    Any information will be much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Peter Mason

    Peter Mason, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Peter Mason

    D.C. Eaton Guest

    You know, I saw this at Tower yesterday, released with very little fanfare.
    (A price drop?) I didn't compare the running times with the first DVD
    version, but it would be cool if they'd fixed the titles. All they needed to
    do was re-master the old widescreen VHS version. Curious.

    Note - MGM Video also released a fullscreen version of "West Side Story" on
    DVD this week. I'm sure the public was clamoring for this to happen.

    Dean

    D.C. Eaton, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Peter Mason

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    The "widescreen" VHS version was only letterboxed to 1.66:1. The movie
    should be 2.55:1.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Peter Mason

    John Howells Guest

    There may have been a WS VHS version letterboxed at 1.66:1, but the US VHS
    version I have, split on two cassettes, is 2.55:1, as it should be.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Peter Mason

    David Mullen Guest

    Hasn't Robert Harris been working on a restoration of this film? So what's
    with all of these new screenings and DVD's?

    David Mullen

    David Mullen, Oct 16, 2003
  6. Peter Mason

    william Guest

    Unless I'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time), both editions
    at Amazon are 182 Min. That being the case, sounds like a reissue of
    the same-o.

    william, Oct 16, 2003
  7. Peter Mason

    PeteA Guest

    Last I heard, MGM wasn't ponying up the needed cash (somewhere between
    1 and 3 million dollars) to restore Mad World. The new 70mm print is
    just that, a new 70mm print of the general release version. The extra
    is just the original radio calls playing during intermission. As far
    as I know, the new DVD is just a price-lowering reissue of the first
    one.

    PeteA, Oct 16, 2003
  8. Peter Mason

    John Howells Guest

    You have missed something. The "Technical Information" page for the original
    DVD release does indeed say 182 minutes, but later it says it's a "New
    transfer of the 161-minute theatrical 35mm version", as it does on the
    "buying info" page, and that shorter time is the correct one.

    Now as to exactly what this new version is ... Given the very poor "quality"
    of the extra bits in the 182 minute VHS WS version I very much doubt that
    they have mastered that for DVD, unless they have done some restoration work
    on it first.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Oct 16, 2003
  9. Peter Mason

    Martin Hart Guest

    The VHS version that I've seen is letterboxed to about 1.66. The
    laserdisc was about 2.35, which is correct since it came from a 35mm
    anamorphic master with the exception of a few shots taken from a Cinerama
    rectified 70mm print. Unless a video transfer is made from a 65mm or 70mm
    source, the aspect ratio should be 2.35:1, with just a few exceptions.

    Marty

    Martin Hart, Oct 17, 2003
  10. Peter Mason

    John Howells Guest

    This
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000040E9/qid=1066437803/sr=1
    -1/ref=sr_1_1/102-5199436-1365734?v=glance&s=video
    is the VHS version I have, which is not 1.66:1, but ..
    ... on further checking it is 2.35:1, as you note.

    Perhaps this
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000068ZQ/ref=pm_dp_ln_v_3/10
    2-5199436-1365734?v=glance&s=video&vi=tech-info
    is the 1.66:1 VHS version you have seen.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Oct 18, 2003
  11. Peter Mason

    DarkMatter Guest