  1. i wont be surprised if they try to
    I'll vote against it.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Exam-Smart

    Brat Guest

    well his email address does work... I do admit it that. He did take action
    within the realms of his job description. I did not reveal the content of
    my email to him on this ng but he has stated that he did get it and took
    some action. With a domain of microsoft.com in his email address I do have
    to believe that he is who he says he is... after all, I did not get a mail
    delivery failure. Also, he was able to determine my identity on here and my
    real email address and make the connection between the two. So I do have to
    give him the benefit of the doubt in that case.

    I am still unhappy with unanswered questions... he does have the resources
    to find out exactly what MS does when we report spam/braindumpers... moreso
    than I have anyway. But then, I would be curious to know what comcast did
    with the OP as well... in theory, he should have his services revolked but
    we will never know unless he comes back with a different isp.

    A couple of years ago, I was subjected to an impersonator but a group of us
    (MCNGP)repeatedly reported him and he must have changed isp's about 10 times
    in a month before he disappeared offline altogether (unless he decided to
    play nice and has not revealed himself since). So I do know that some ISP's
    do try to protect the public but we never know for sure as we are never
    given any feedback. I guess that is my main complaint about reporting such
    issues... for all we know, it could go in one ear and out another and we
    would never be notified of that result. Perhaps we will never know. It
    does not leave much incentive for those of us who do report such issues to
    isp's and microsoft. What would be the point if no action is taken to
    remove certifications and services from these individuals?

    Brat, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Exam-Smart

    JaR Guest

    Excuse me, but BG will have to call his minions something else. "Thugs" is
    taken.

    Unless, of course, he is willing to pay copyright royalties...

    JaR
    Mercenary Thug

    JaR, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Just to be precise, I wasn't assigned the job of moderating the mcngp site,
    I'm the administrator for the entire microsoft.public heirarchy. Part of
    the job is to hit any troublespots and to routinely review newsgroups.

    John Eddy
    Microsoft Newsgroups Administrator

    John Eddy [MSFT], Jun 1, 2004
  5. Exam-Smart

    JaR Guest

    This is correct. The MCNGP site has it's own moderator(s). Well, kinda ;-)

    *checks headers*

    Yup, this is still the MCSE newsgroup.

    So, John, as long as you're hanging out in here, how about answering some
    of the posts from the other day?

    Hmmmm????

    J.R. Jones
    MCSA MCNGP #22

    JaR, Jun 2, 2004
  6. Well, that wasn't too difficult, you posted that you mailed me regarding the
    post, and I only received one email. Admittedly, there are those that would
    say that even that level of deductive reasoning is beyond a Microsoft Drone.
    I mailed the owner of the tctips address. He said that some of the editors
    in the Training/Certification area do read the newsgroups, and they do
    actively monitor the tctips address. The reason why you don't hear back is
    mostly due to legal reasons[1], but also due to resource issues.

    They do keep track of all sumbissions and take each one very seriously and
    maintain a database of all ... well... data they receive, whether it is for
    immediate or future follow-up. As for what that follow-up is, while they
    might tell me, I don't know if I'd be able to tell you.

    John Eddy
    Microsoft Newsgroups Administrator

    [1] I commonly report spam to the source ISPs. While I wouldn't mind
    forming a relationship with other admins out there beyond the form letter
    response, I was quite shocked when one ISP sent me the name and mailing
    address of one of the spammers I reported. It was much more information
    than I needed to know, so much so that I quickly deleted the mail

    John Eddy [MSFT], Jun 2, 2004
  7. I have whittled down the thread to the messages I wanted to reply to, but
    have not yet gotten to them.

    John Eddy [MSFT], Jun 2, 2004
  8. Exam-Smart

    Brat Guest

    oy... fellow MCNGP's, I have continued this conversation in the members only
    site... your input/comments can be observed there...

    *withdraws*

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69
    Proud member since April 8, 2002

    Brat, Jun 2, 2004
  9. Exam-Smart

    Adam Leinss Guest

    Actually, Microsoft doesn't owe us ANY explanation or response in terms
    of what action(s) they take. I reported someone to tctips for selling
    all the PDF files from the MSPress series for $10 on a burned CD at
    eBay. I never got a response back to what happened with that and the
    auction was left intact. Now, maybe Microsoft put a bid in on the
    auction to trap the seller or maybe they will track him to build
    evidence: who knows.

    If I do a whois on testking.com, I get:

    Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.
    Whois Agent ()

    The site has been going strong 4 years straight in full view of
    Microsoft. The site owner's identity is protected and is probably in
    some 3rd world country.

    Of course, going after a corrupt web site is not very easy. When the
    Texas DA went after Gary Neale (Troytec's owner), Microsoft and the DA
    clashed over the seized goods and the case as of now as been dropped.
    His takedown was over 2 years ago and we still don't have a resolution.
    And now it seems the site is backup under new ownership.

    Adam

    Adam Leinss, Jun 2, 2004
  10. Exam-Smart

    JaR Guest

    Holy Sh^H^HCow!

    Lookie there. A microsoftie with a humor implant. And one that appears
    to give a sh^H^Hdarn. What will they come up with next?

    I think you will be welcome around here, John.

    JaR
    Cautious Thug

    JaR, Jun 2, 2004
  11. Exam-Smart

    Brat Guest

    I never said MS "owes" us anything... I'm just curious as to what happens...
    if anything... perhaps no one has the answer... but it would be nice to know
    if our efforts are worth it

    Brat, Jun 2, 2004
  12. Exam-Smart

    JaR Guest

    That's the bottom line. I'm quite sure that we'll never get anything
    specifically posted in here that says "cobol was arrested" "eddiepox was
    tossed in a funny farm" etc. But when cobol et al posted with impunity for
    seven months and we see repeated posts from other braindumpers, pirates,
    and spammers in here, it would be sweet to get some indication that MS is
    doing something to restore the value of our certs.

    If that is possible at this point. Being that MS now is hyping the desktop
    cert, I guess they haven't heard that according to most HR departments,
    MCSE _is_ a desktop cert. If they are blissfully unaware of that, there's
    probably no likelyhood that they care.

    JaR
    Fatalist Thug

    JaR, Jun 2, 2004
  13. Hi Kat,

    John is real, he is from MS, and he is the newsgroup admin for the entire
    MSnews hierarchy.

    His sense of humor is fantastic which made him a good MVP lead. We miss him,
    but are happy to have him working to keep NNTP alive and well during the
    rush to web based forums.

    Associate Expert
    Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
    http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm

    Larry Samuels, Jun 2, 2004
  14. Exam-Smart

    Jtyc Guest

    His sense of humor is fantastic which made him a good MVP lead. We miss
    him,
    He'll never replace Ben...

    *sniff*

    Jtyc, Jun 2, 2004
  15. Exam-Smart

    Neil Guest

    EEEEExcelent

    Neil, Jun 2, 2004
  16. Exam-Smart

    Neil Guest

    depends on what I'm being paid for my share. anything over a Billion and
    I'm rolling over on you guys...

    Neil, Jun 2, 2004
  17. Exam-Smart

    Neil Guest

    Freakishly smart guy when it comes to security...
    (I know him from another NG)

    Neil, Jun 2, 2004
  18. Exam-Smart

    Neil Guest

    I'm holding out hope....

    Neil, Jun 2, 2004
  19. Exam-Smart

    JaR Guest

    AOL!

    Prolly for less, too.

    JaR
    Mercenary Thug

    JaR, Jun 2, 2004
  20. Ben Smith
    the best

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jun 2, 2004