    Coordindinator of Studies, Multimedia and Photomedia, Australian Academy
    of Design
    Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

    Wayne J. Cosshall, Sep 22, 2006

  2. Wayne J. Cosshall

    frederick Guest

    There have been plenty of leaks from HP lately :)
    You could download a PDF brochure on the new printers from HP Europe for
    a day or two before they woke up.
    The new printers are the Z2100 and Z3100
    24 inch or 44 inch carriage width.
    8 colour vivera pigment inkset (like B9180) or a 12 colour vivera
    pigment inkset (include gloss enhancer, a grey, green and blue)
    They have integrated spectrophotometer for building custom ICC profiles
    - as well as closed loop calibration system like the B9180.
    69 and 130 ml cartridges.
    HP made US $4.5 billion from selling ink and toner last year.

    Epson have also sent out emails about the release of new pro printers at
    Photokina. That is rumoured to be "3800" model.

    All sounds good, but neither Epson nor HP are going to want to see ink
    profits fall. The B9180 ink cost per page (based on HP's own claimed
    coverage figures) - and despite claims made by many HP shills now paid
    to post in various forums - is even higher than Epson's a3+ printers.

    frederick, Sep 23, 2006

  3. Hi Frederick,

    Yes, Epson are also releasing there but since with them everything is
    covered by an NDA I could not say anything about that. HP's stuff is
    also covered by an NDA, so whilst there may have been leaks from suposed
    insiders, I've said all I can until Sept. 26.

    I don't know if you are including me in the 'HP shills', whatever that
    term means, but I certainly have not been paid to make this post or any
    other, by HP or anyone else. From what I know of my colleagues in the
    press, all those of us that know will be under a similar constraint. We
    tend to take NDAs (non-disclosure agreements) very seriously because
    apart from the possibility of legal issues you are likely to be cut out
    of the loop in future, something no professional journalist wants to
    happen. Leaks usually come from company or PR company employees or (more
    often) from outside suppliers, distributors or others either with some
    knowledge or those who think they do.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    Wayne J. Cosshall, Sep 23, 2006
  4. Wayne J. Cosshall

    frederick Guest

    Sorry - I wasn't accusing you of being a shill.
    The recent HP shills are generally professional photographers. I would
    assume that as they appear to be successful in their businesses, then
    the payments from HP must be substantial.

    Beware also of so-called "independent" expert consultants used by HP to
    prepare and distribute "test data" which directly compares HP to other
    product, including survey results as well as test bench data. Spencer
    Labs of NY was one such "independent consultant". Their website used to
    explain quite clearly that their objectives were to design and conduct
    tests and market surveys to show the (clients) product in the most
    favourable light. It appeared from their public records that their only
    client was HP. They have since (probably due to some negative
    publicity) changed their site. A well regarded (by some) and widely
    circulated UK magazine was taken in when they published results for
    tests of HP products vs some products from other manufacturers. They
    admitted (they probably didn't realise the consequences)in the article
    that they had conferred with Spencer Lab on test methodology. There is
    enough $$ involved to make facts elusive.

    frederick, Sep 23, 2006
  5. No probs.

    Everyone has to be careful with test results. If I publish someone
    else's test results I put XYZ Claims or label it a Press Release if
    that's how it came. Otherwise I have interviewed Henry Wilhelm, who
    seems a genuine guy but he does consult with the companies and gets paid
    for the testing and I do have some concerns over his test methods. Note
    others, such as my friend Mark Gottsegen, are working on a new,
    international and open test standard.

    For myself I have always preferred to publish my own test results,
    whenever possible, like I do for digital cameras. I am putting in the
    gear to allow me to do better printer testing too.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    Wayne J. Cosshall, Sep 23, 2006