New help on best set-up in configuring wireless network in a large house?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pattyjamas, Dec 31, 2004.

  1. pattyjamas

    pattyjamas Guest

    need to help a friend of a friend. They bought a large home, 5300 sq
    feet.
    They have 3 computers. One computer is on RoadRunner via Cable Modem.
    Connected to that is the standard 802.11b wireless router.

    They have 2 other desktop PC's (one on same floor) with USB Wireless
    Connectors that are not receiving the signal in this new house.

    I told them that they probably will need the following in the order
    listed.

    1. Upgrade to Linksys 802.11G everywhere, The 2 PC with USB wireless
    connections will have an antenna of course that can be moved around. I
    think this is better than a PCI adapter on the back of the box.
    2. If need be use a Hawking Antenna or put Linksys 7dbi antennas on the
    Router
    3. If necessary add a Range Extender from Linksys.

    4. If all else fails-perhaps I could try a Belkin Pre-n router but not
    sure they make USB pre-n adapters for other PC's. Perhaps use this with
    the Linksys G but not sure this would help.

    I do have a cheapie $30 Hawking Wireless signal strength detector I
    will try in their house and see if I am getting a signal in various
    places.

    Unfortunately I do not have a wireless laptop (nor do they) to walk
    around the house with to test things.

    Ideas on my logic, opinions, recommendations?
    Only use of the 2 wireless PC's is for web surfing.

    Thanks, Patty

    pattyjamas, Dec 31, 2004

  2. pattyjamas

    Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote in @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    You could look at a wireless repeater to extend the range. You can also
    post your questions at alt.internet.wireless where the Top Guns hang.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 31, 2004

  3. pattyjamas

    Stevo Guest

    They are unlikely to get 'g performance, given the size of the place
    (life is so tough sometimes) but even so, 11 Mb/s should give reasonable
    surfing... signal strength detectors are OK but are only valid for the
    instant in which you do the test.. any movement of persons, change of
    furniture location etc can affect signal levels a lot..

    External antennae ( to the PC and/or AP/router etc) will help if you
    position them correctly - high, with no metal in the vicinity is a good
    place to start - but not guaranteed... radio is a black art.. but the
    basics of good signal locating holds true.. having an antenna in the
    middle of the hall or on the dinner table isn't great from some points
    of view, but if it works for your situation then you are the only one
    that can make the call.. just another compromise (like putting speakers
    in corners etc)...

    Stevo, Dec 31, 2004
  4. pattyjamas

    pattyjamas Guest

    Thanks all very much..except idiot tit guy
    Peter

    pattyjamas, Jan 2, 2005
  5. pattyjamas

    Nik Schlein Guest

    Okay unless the house is 3 feet wide and 1500 feet + long then I think you
    should be okay. Normally if its a finished basement, then the house really
    isn't that large. I live in a 2300 sq ft house because the basement isn't
    finished if it was, thats another 2000 sq ft. So 4300, so therefore not
    really that big. Plus if you add a second floor, That house isn't impossible
    large for wireless needs. Most will operate easily at ranges of 500ft
    straight line between the components. I would try to first centrally locate
    the Router. It doesn't allways have to be next to the main computer.

    Nik Schlein, Jan 2, 2005