    What's a good formatting and partitioning freeware tool?
    Thanks,
    hj

    hugh jass, Mar 8, 2005

  2. hugh jass

    James Mourby Guest

    Windows? Linux?

    IF its windowsXP, go into the control panel>administrative tools>computer
    management>Disk management.

    You should see your drive in there called "Disk 1 or 2 or 3 or.. whatever"
    right click on it, choose format, give it a letter a name blah blah etc etc
    yadda yadda yadda...

    Then it should work in My Computer.

    James Mourby, Mar 9, 2005

  3. hugh jass

    Toolman Tim Guest

    And is there some reason you don't think it's important to state what your
    bloomin' OPERATING SYSTEM is?

    I'm going to guess XP. Rightclick on "My Computer" and select "Manage". On
    the left side, under "Storage", click on "Disk Management". See if the new
    drive is listed on the right. Rightclick on the new drive, and select
    "Partition and format". Give it a run from there...you should be able to
    figure out the menus.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 9, 2005
  4. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Thanks fellers...
    sorry to leave out the OS. I was trying to type the questions while my baby
    was crying in my arms to go to bed. You know how it is. Or maybe you
    don't.
    Anyway, thanks.
    It IS XP I'm running.

    hugh jass, Mar 9, 2005
  5. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Hmmm.... Doesn't seem to give me the option to format and partition here.
    Just "intiialize"
    I am going to reboot and hopefully something miraculous will happen.
    ANy ideas?

    hugh jass, Mar 9, 2005
  6. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Ok, I figured it out. I was right-clicking on the disk rather than on the
    partition.
    It's all good. I think.
    THanks again fellers!
    Yeeeeeehaw!
    hj

    hugh jass, Mar 9, 2005
  7. hugh jass

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Way to go! Glad I could help...sorry I was a little unclear on the
    'partition' vs. 'drive' <g>

    Toolman Tim, Mar 10, 2005