New harddisks don't boot when old harddisks are disconnected.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Skybuck Flying, Sep 22, 2011.

  1. It appears I have saved my system just in time.

    This morning it did not want to boot.

    I am still unsure of the true cause...

    Possiblity 1:

    But it's starting to seem that the old harddisk has somewhat died or causing
    electrical problems inside the computer.

    Somehow the old harddisk knocks out the new harddisk.

    The new harddisk then becomes unbootable/unresponsive.

    or

    Possibility 2:

    It's actually the new harddisk which is failing.

    However I am currently using it... so it might be a fluke of luck.

    Perhaps after I shutdown the power the new harddisk might die again.

    I have copied all my critical data files from new harddisk1 to new
    harddisk2.

    To prevent the likelyhood of losing all.

    Sigh... I still have to make CD/DVD copies but that's a lot of work and I
    don't really want to do that now... but I should...

    So I will... I will probably have to re-install nero on windows 7 and make
    some backups...

    Fortunately I already backed-up the old drive on my new drive... on the data
    drive too... so it should be save... my music was still scatter over old
    drives...

    I still need one of the old drives... so I should also make a backup of
    that... more work to do... a full backup would be nice.. but first my music
    collection.

    I spent a lot of time collecting them... losing it would be sad.

    But I cannot risk re-booting the system yet... I solved the boot problem by
    running repair tool, which hang... I run knoppix, which showed one harddisk
    missing... then windows failed to boot, after a couple of tries checkdisk
    ran... which showed no errors on new drive...

    Finally I solved it by disconnecting the old drives... and now the new
    drives seem to boot... it was a very weird morning... it has already costed
    me 4 hours.

    If the new drives are indeed defective then it could be because of the chip
    inward design was I wrote about some time ago...

    I also suspect airflow does not solve "heat pockets of air"... so PC's might
    be flawed... but time will tell..

    For now I will not waste more time on this message... just letting you know
    it was a very weird day and how to solve weird boot problems:

    Try disconnecting suspicious drives ! ;)

    Oh yeah the reason why I believed this might solve it is because of the:
    "harddisk protocol"... somehow these harddisk have to communicate with each
    other or the bus... which goes first and such... apperently the old harddisk
    is somehow disrupting that protocol... so by disabling the old harddisk
    things appeared to work again... but for how long I don't know...

    Next time when I buy harddisks... I should label them somehow... because
    it's difficult to tell which is which ! ;) :) But labels could be
    dangerous... definetly don't stick them over the hole... they could trap
    maybe heat... and they could get loose, so maybe labels bad idea... but it
    would be nice if it was somehow possible ;)

    But better next... since airflow could blow it towards something... I will
    just have to use more trial and error to see which one it was which is bad
    and good ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 26, 2011

  2. "TheJoker" wrote in message

    "
    Yet you are apparently too stupid to know that you can 'order' your
    drives from within the bios such that no matter what actual positions
    they are on or their respective I/O ports, they can be presented to the
    observing system in any order.

    Mine does, and it is 7 years old.

    Get a clue, little boy. YOU broke your system... AGAIN.
    "

    Read first sentence idiot where I wrote: "I tried to change boot order".

    It doesn't help windows still gets confused... and now there are even bigger
    problems... probably cause by old harddisk which apperently misbehaves
    protocol-wise... I bet you never heard of that boy !

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 26, 2011

  3. I have ended up in a sort of catch22 or a paradox or a vicious circle...

    I sorta of need nero, but nero is located on one of the disconnected drives.

    I cannot power down my system because I am not sure if it will power up
    again.

    I could use a trial version but really don't want to... I am not even sure
    if it's a trial or the full thing.

    I kinda fed up too ! ;) :)

    So kinda funny situation.

    Oh well... I am going to idle some more ;) until I figure out what I want to
    do ;) :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck =D

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 26, 2011
  4. Proof that you do not know anything about computers OR electronics.

    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Sep 27, 2011
  5. Are you not the complete retard that said you have a Knoppix disc,
    idiot?

    What? You never heard of Imgburn?

    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Sep 27, 2011
  6. Both my old harddisks are now virtualized.

    For the second/data drive I used dsk2vhd tool from Microsoft and it seemed
    to have worked nicely.

    Both drives are each about 470 GB or so.

    Today all/4 drives seems to work as normal, but I only connected 3 drives at
    a time.

    Perhaps yesterday was a weird/unlucky day with electricity behaving weird.

    Or maybe today was a lucky day and a fluke of luck.

    Whatever the case may be I have also made a backup of my music.

    The most important data is now at least double backed up on 2 drives.

    I could even backup it up to 4 drives, but 2 should be enough.

    The older ones also have older backups.

    I am not more relaxed but still a bit worried what will happen the next few
    days when I think about it.

    I also have not yet made any CD/DVD backups of the most important data.

    The music VHD is about 8 GB. So it should fit on a DVD compressed or so.

    I am thinking it slowly/a step a day... maybe tomorrow I will make some DVD
    backups ;) :)

    I think it's also a good idea to place the DVD's inside a box inside a
    temperature stable room which I rare go into.

    This will stabilize the temperature somewhat and will hopefully prevent the
    DVD metal from bending for longer lasting live.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 27, 2011
  7. "Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

    Both my old harddisks are now virtualized.

    For the second/data drive I used dsk2vhd tool from Microsoft and it seemed
    to have worked nicely.

    Both drives are each about 470 GB or so.

    Today all/4 drives seems to work as normal, but I only connected 3 drives at
    a time.

    Perhaps yesterday was a weird/unlucky day with electricity behaving weird.

    Or maybe today was a lucky day and a fluke of luck.

    Whatever the case may be I have also made a backup of my music.

    The most important data is now at least double backed up on 2 drives.

    I could even backup it up to 4 drives, but 2 should be enough.

    The older ones also have older backups.

    I am not* (* typo corected: now) more relaxed but still a bit worried what

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 27, 2011
  8. I am also very happy that I virtualized my drives, especially the data
    drives.

    Some of the content on there took a long time to download and might be
    scarse in the future... it might be hard to come by in the future...

    There is some nice stuff on there... so this makes me really happy ! ;) =D

    Hopefully it will last for a much longer time then my previous hd's and cd's
    which went bad...

    This virtualized technology should last a much longer time. So the new plan
    is to take data with me from computer to computer.

    The backup of the drives takes 1 TB, the new drive has 2 TB available.

    So this leaves 1 TB for new stuff which should be plenty for games and apps
    and stuff...

    The new drive currently has 377 GB available or so.. it has a duplicate vhd
    which could be deleted to free up an additional 470 GB... but for now I will
    let the duplicate exist since I don't need the free space (yet).

    This could also be an interesting backup strategy, make multiple copies of
    the same stuff if you don't need the free space, to survive bad sectors more
    easily.

    This could also be developed into a new file system strategy for Microsoft
    Windows, where Microsoft Windows uses the free space to make the system more
    redundant and more fault tolerant against bad sectors.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 27, 2011
  9. I also found a pretty cool tool called: "WinMount" it can be used to mount
    he vmdk files in windows so they become accesable from the windows explorer.

    So old C drive was backed up to VMDK.
    So old D drive was backed up to VHD.

    (The VHD can be mounted by windows itself, unfortunately the VMDK needs a
    special tool)

    Also VMWare also has a tool for it but might require the vm system to be
    effective and might have other drawbacks like not being able to use it as
    the same time when using vmware to boot virtualized systems.

    Also the WinMount tool has the drawback of having a limited trial period of
    15 days or so... there also seems to be a free 32 bit version, but I am not
    sure if it will work with windows 7 64 bit.

    Maybe I'll find a trial key somewhere ! LOL ;) =D

    Just like games/blood: "I need a key !" And I found a key ! ;) =D

    Oh well...

    Otherwise I could also make another copy of the vmdk and turn it into a VHD
    just so I can boot the old system and play quake3 which is on it ;)

    I could re-install quake but then I would loose my stats which would kinda
    suck ! ;) :) =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 28, 2011
  10. Only a total retard laughs about his criminality.

    All of your PCs should be confiscated and you should be jailed.

    Maybe... just maybe... THEN you will get it.

    I AM THAT I AM, Sep 28, 2011
  11. "I AM THAT I AM" wrote in message

    "
    Only a total retard laughs about his criminality.

    All of your PCs should be confiscated and you should be jailed.

    Maybe... just maybe... THEN you will get it.
    "

    LOL,

    Only a retard thinks finding a key is a criminal act ! LOL ;) =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck =D

    Hey look people I found a key:

    12345KEY LOL.

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 28, 2011
  12. Well that wasn't hard ! ;) =D

    Here we go people:

    Name : Peter Doctor Zuma
    Serial: M1-E4M93-56QD7-V3VGC-A2AMW

    Yeah... I kinda Peter Doctor Zuma ! LOL.

    Bye,
    Bye,
    Skydoc ! ;) =D

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 28, 2011
  13. Seeing how the boot manager was nuked/kaput/destroyed, probably by bad
    sectors, I connected the other harddisks in the hope their boot manager
    might still be intact.

    Though that other disk had bad sectors as well, it's suddenly amazingly
    working, see my other posting on it ! ;) =D

    I am now back in the Windows 7 driving seat ! Wiee ! ;) =D

    So lesson:

    It's good to have a boot manager on each harddisk in case another harddisk
    fails ! ;) =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck =D

    Skybuck Flying, Oct 22, 2011
  14. Skybuck Flying

    John Turco Guest

    <edited for brevity>

    The "black thing" has a name (i.e., "shunt").

    John Turco, Oct 27, 2011