New Epson PX/PM ink technology - Print Longevity lies confirmed!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Chien, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. David Chien

    David Chien Guest

    http://www2.i-love-epson.co.jp/catalogue/colorio/IMG0002903-1.PDF

    Notice how on page 2 & 4 of this brochure, they happily state in
    Japanese that until now, inkjet prints have a 1 (one) year lifespan
    before significant fading occurs! - This is Epson talking about Epson's
    own inkjets!

    Note that this 'orange-faded' print is exactly what many Epson users,
    especially the Epson Photo 870, have experienced but have never gotten a
    proper fix (except full price printer buyback offers).

    http://www.p-o-v-image.com/epson/
    http://www.p-o-v-image.com/epson/links.htm
    eps. pictures here of fading http://members.cox.net/rmeyer9/epson/

    It only took Epson three years or so to get around to releasing better
    inks for us consumers(Epson 870/1270 launched in Feb 2000)!

    ---------------

    While the Epson 2000p/px4000/etc series that use encapsulated inks have
    performed quite well re: fading, keep in mind that the lower end inkjets
    that use the PM G inkset will only last 10-20 years in ideal conditions
    (less if abused) whereas the PX G through PX V inks are rated for 30
    through 80 years (only the G series will last longest).

    All this means is you can relax a bit about not having to neurotically
    glass shield every print as before from fading, but you can't expect the
    prints to last longer than 5 years or so (10 years / 2) if simply left
    out in the open I'd say.

    ----------------

    Good fuel for someone with a creative bent and can figure out a class
    action lawsuit on this one, esp. given how they had been tooting
    long-lasting prints (later retracted or limited in scope; yeah, right -
    1 year now that they've told us) on many of their earlier printers such
    as the Epson 870.

    David Chien, Oct 23, 2003

  2. OK, some possibly stupid questions...

    - Does storing prints in a photo album offer significant fade/color
    change protection for normal (not fancy long-life-ink) inkjet prints? I
    assume it can't be as good as glass, but it must protect against some
    air and light exposure.
    - Any idea if/when this long-print-life ink technology will make its way
    into cheaper printers (e.g. $200 or less)? I suspect it's not worth
    waiting, but thought I'd ask.
    - Do printers using these inks clog more or less often than other inks?
    I don't print very often and have been quite reluctant to have anything
    to do with Epson printers as a result (at the very least I want to be
    able to remove and clean or replace the print head, as in Canon
    printers).

    I've been using a printing service (PhotoAccess.com, though I'm in the
    market for a cheaper place) to get long life prints and not have to buy
    a printer before the technology has matures. But my Lexmark Z53 is
    getting clogged enough that I'm wavering (I sure don't want to buy
    anothe overpriced cartridge for it, but maybe cleaning and refilling it
    will keep me limping along for now).

    -- Russell

    Russell E. Owen, Oct 23, 2003

  3. David Chien

    Azzz1588 Guest

    I've had an Epson 820 for almost 2 years now, and had only
    one clog. A good cleaning with alcohol did the cleaning nicely.

    Key with Epson's (or at least the 820) is to print something at least
    twice a week. And it can be any simple page you print, I've found that
    by doing this, I've never had another clog since.

    I do print at least one 4 x 6 every week, but almost every couple of
    days, I am printing something either off the web, or email, etc...

    Azzz1588, Oct 24, 2003
  4. David Chien

    David Chien Guest

    I've owned an Epson 750, 1200, 870, and 925 and for months, I can leave
    them sitting there w/o a single print. Then print photos w/o any
    problems. As long as the nozzle cap works when the head is in the
    parked position, you should have a seal that will prevent the system
    from drying out even if unused for months. Otherwise, if there is a
    problem you'll see clogged nozzles right away.

    It's not to say any inkjet is perfect. I've had to return my newly
    bought 925 for a next-day replacement twice before getting a model that
    passed the nozzle check 100% okay (now works fine), and even the Canon
    i550 at work has had the nozzle head replaced three times before it
    settled on a working replacement (now works fine).

    It really won't matter which printer you buy - ink will get clogged in
    nozzles eventually just from all that paper dust buildup and ink. But
    if the printer is working okay, a simply head cleaning that all inkjets
    do on startup should be all it needs.

    David Chien, Oct 25, 2003
  5. David Chien

    David Chien Guest

    Storing prints in photo albums does help. Got inkjet prints from 10+
    years ago that look fine today that were stored in albums/folders. Air
    & light exposure are the #1 killer of prints.

    ---
    Long print life?
    $200 or less? Easy! Any dye-sub printer!

    Dye-sub printers use solid inks that don't fade like inks, and you can
    expect the prints to last far longer like regular photo prints.

    eg. the Sony DPP-EX5 $199.95
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...gitalPhotoPrinters&ProductSKU=DPPEX5&Dept=dcc

    You can easily find dye-sub printer from Sony, Olympus, Canon,
    Mitsubishi, etc. that will let you print true dot-free photos that will
    last a long time.

    ---

    Clogs?
    Same as any other inkjets. They eventually will just because of the
    paper dust & inks clogging nozzles.

    ---

    Cheaper than PhotoAccess?

    Costco.com stores at $0.24 per print; Walmart.com for $0.26 (vs. $0.29
    photoaccess)
    Cheapest, good place available for printing digital images to photo paper.

    If Walmart still uses the ==Fuji Crystal Archive== papers as I remember,
    you will then have the longest lasting photo prints available cheap for
    a regular customer.

    (Fuji CA papers have been tested to last the longest of regular consumer
    photo papers vs. kodak's, etc. with 50-100+ year lifespans in proper
    storage.)

    ---

    Dying Lexmark Z53? Cheap replacement?

    Epson 925 in my book. You can print directly from digital camera flash
    cards. Does a great job on photo prints to Epson Premium Glossy Photo
    Paper, and given that all inkjet prints will fade faster than dye-sub or
    real photo prints, might as well enjoy the prints for the fun of it --
    after all, just assume you'll have the original images on CD and you can
    print another copy anytime! (and you'll print the long-lasting ones at
    Costco to real photo paper)

    David Chien, Oct 25, 2003