    either Windows Media Player 10 or Nero ShowTime. I get CD audio playback
    fine and my speakers work fine, I even get Windows XP sounds. What could be
    the issue?

    Kyle :o\), Aug 18, 2007

  2. Kyle :o\)

    Jerry Attic Guest

    Try reloading the drivers for your soundcard but use the most recent ones
    off of the Internet. If that doesn't work, download the latest CODEC files.
    You can find those at www.majorgeek.com

    Jerry Attic, Aug 19, 2007

  3. Kyle :o\)

    PeeCee Guest

    Kyle

    Most likely you are missing a codec for Nero.
    Go to this page http://www.nero.com/ena/catalog.html and they are listed at
    the bottom of the page.

    Note the missing codec is a deliberate omission by Nero.
    Another stoopid Marketing department ripoff stuffing up an otherwise
    excellent program.

    Media player will be suffering from the same problem, visit M$ for their
    codec download page.

    You know the ironical thing is most DVD drive manufacturers bundle a DVD
    player including a codec with their drives (usually Cyberlink Power DVD)
    thereby bypassing Nero Show Time any way. Might be worth checking your All
    Programs for Power DVD.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 19, 2007
  4. Kyle :o\)

    Kyle :o\) Guest

    Yes I prefer Power DVD, but unfortunately mine did not come bundled with
    it - only the Nero software. Really sucks too!

    Kyle :o\), Aug 19, 2007
  5. Kyle :o\)

    Kyle :o\) Guest

    Thanks - I'll try all those suggestions :)

    Kyle :o\), Aug 19, 2007
  6. Kyle :o\)

    PeeCee Guest

    One of the reasons I look very carefully at what the bundled software is
    when buying DVD drives!

    One way to get round the problem is to install Power DVD from your old DVD
    drives software CD (if it came with it of course) Even going to the trouble
    of temporarily hooking up your old drive may be worthwhile if the bundled
    software checks for hardware compatibility.

    Interestingly I had a run of bad drives a couple of years ago caused by a
    bad power supply. As each new drive was installed I carefully removed the
    burning software but left the DVD player/ DVD Producer software on each
    time.
    Ended up with several choices of programs for playing and creating DVD's
    that way.

    Though when I graduated to the present PC I took the easy way out and bought
    Nero by clicking on the 'special offer' icon left on the desktop by the
    bundled Nero install routine.
    Solves all the hastles as all the codecs are included and best of all with a
    legit number I can move my full copy of Nero onto the next PC I'm building
    at the moment.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 21, 2007