New DSLR lenses from Nikon

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Feb 9, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, Feb 9, 2010

  2. No. What's truly crazy is that you think that's the only thing that's
    crazy.

    Crazy Spotters Inc., Feb 9, 2010

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Yes, the Euro and GBP prices include VAT (from 15% to 22% depending on
    which country) whereas the US price does not include taxes.

    Bruce, Feb 9, 2010
  4. No, camera companies think that all DSLR buyers are stupid.

    They are correct.

    Those prices alone prove this, in any country.

    Crazy Spotters Inc., Feb 9, 2010
  5. 1: Canada does have VAT, it is called "Goods and Services Tax". Don't
    know about other countries in America.
    2: I am quite certain I prefer a flat simple straightforward VAT over
    the impenetrable jungle of local, state, county and other sales taxes
    that are slapped on in the US and sometimes vary just across the street.
    3: Not to mention that VAT is refundable upon export of the good while
    sales tax is not.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Feb 9, 2010
  6. Bruce

    tony cooper Guest

    Not by that name, but the concept of adding a tax to the purchase of
    goods and services is certainly practiced here. Our states are just
    as tax-hungry as any other government entity.

    One of the major differences is that advertised prices in the UK
    include VAT, but advertised prices in the US do not include sales tax.
    They may include a notation that sales tax will be added, but not an
    amount.

    While visitors to the US often object to this because they feel the
    advertising falsely represents the actual price to be paid, there is a
    good reason for stating the pre-tax price. If Best Buy (a chain of
    stores) advertises a camera for $100, the final price will be $106 if
    the purchase is made in Orange County (FL) or $107 if the purchase is
    made in Seminole County (FL) due to local option tax rates. If the
    camera is purchased by a hospital or other exempt entity, the final
    price is $100. The stores involved may be equidistant from the
    customer's home.

    tony cooper, Feb 9, 2010
  7. Bruce

    tony cooper Guest

    Where this makes a difference is when the item purchased is taken into
    possession by the buyer in the place where sales tax is charged. An
    item that I may pay sales tax on can be purchased by someone in a
    foreign country who does not pay tax on that item. Once you pay sales
    tax, it is not refundable. But, under certain conditions, you need
    not pay the tax in the first place.

    Each state's laws on this may be different, but here's one example:
    http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub104.pdf

    tony cooper, Feb 9, 2010
  8. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    You should thank God for Sarah Palin, then.

    Palin to the rescue, 2012. ;-)

    Bruce, Feb 9, 2010
  9. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    I like their description of them as "affordable" alternatives to the
    faster FX stuff. What will they charge for the 14-24mm f2.8 and
    24-70mm f2.8 now, $4000 each??

    RichA, Feb 9, 2010
  10. Bruce

    tony cooper Guest

    It's not reflected in the *advertised* price of the lens, or MRSP,
    but it will certainly be reflected in the price of the lens when you
    buy it.

    tony cooper, Feb 10, 2010
  11. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Feb 10, 2010
  12. Bruce

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Why would anyone spend that much to get image stablization on a wide
    angle f4 zoom?

    Ray Fischer, Feb 10, 2010
  13. Bruce

    Paul Furman Guest

    Nice. f/4 should be cheaper though I'd have thought.
    That's the price the old 17-25 is selling for on ebay.
    AF-S & VR probably aren't needed, they could have saved money there.
    Nobody in their right mind will buy this for an entry level DX body that
    needs AF-S. VR ... we'll see if that's really useful. Maybe.

    Exotic game of catch up with Canon. This sounds fun but really is very
    specialized. Samples from the Canon version:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=317311

    Paul Furman, Feb 10, 2010
  14. Bruce

    Ray Fischer Guest

    How did you justify the earthquake insurance? To me it seems way
    overpriced for what you get. That 15% deductable was the deal breaker
    for me.

    Ray Fischer, Feb 10, 2010
  15. Bruce

    Ray Fischer Guest

    $900/year with a $35,000 deductable doesn't seem very reasonable.
    My house (we're about the same distance in the S. Bay) has stood
    without damage for 60 years. I've chosen to ensure that it's
    structurally sound.
    Oh, THAT earthquake. I was referring to the Loma Prieta.
    Shrug. Everyone makes their own risk assessment.

    Ray Fischer, Feb 10, 2010
  16. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Euro/GBP prices include Value Added Tax (VAT) which varies between 15%
    and 25% according to country. US prices do not include taxes.

    Bruce, Feb 10, 2010
  17. Bruce

    Martin Brown Guest

    This is the golden island problem. UK photo dealers are much better at
    maintaining their margins than US box shifters. It wasn't all that long
    ago that the rule of thumb for hitech gear was price in USD = price in
    GBP. At least they have passed on some of the shift in exchange rates.

    The smart Brit has a long weekend holiday in New York and goes shopping...

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Feb 10, 2010
  18. Bruce

    NameHere Guest

    I fail to understand what is preventing all these whiney-assed pompous
    brits from making their own cameras and lenses, then selling them at
    inflated prices to all other countries. No, they'd rather sit on their
    asses whining about the rest of the world, like it owes them something. Do
    the british actually produce *anything* that the rest of the world wants?
    That whole country could probably fall off the face of the earth and nobody
    would know until months later, when everyone noticed there was a drastic
    record-lull in the worldwide level of complaining and whining.

    NameHere, Feb 10, 2010
  19. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    It isn't the same across all photo products - not even across all
    Nikon products. Take off the tax, and a D700 body sells for much the
    same price in the UK as in the USA. The same applies to the D3X.

    My partner claims to be able to pay for the cost of the trip to NY
    with the saving on the price of clothes. Sounds good, until you
    realise how much you have to spend on clothes to generate that much of
    a saving. Still, what are income tax refunds for? ;-)

    Bruce, Feb 10, 2010
  20. Bruce

    tony cooper Guest

    This is a bit of a drift from the original topic: Nikon lens prices.
    To the best of my knowledge, Nikon products are priced roughly the
    same in all stores - big box or dedicated camera - in this area.

    Stores may offer a package deal that makes the price look different,
    but the difference is in accessories like a bag, tripod, filters, etc.

    An exception is when a retailer offers a "close out" on a particular
    model of camera that has been superseded by a new model, but I've only
    seen this on P&S Nikons.

    Even the on-line retailers seem to roughly in lock-step on Nikon (and
    Canon) dslrs. Exceptions might be gray-market products. The major
    price differences hinge on the package involved, not the basic camera
    and lens(es).

    Some on-line retailers do offer discounts, but good luck actually
    getting the product at a discount. The "Brooklyn" retailers don't
    ship unless over-priced accessories are added to the order.

    tony cooper, Feb 10, 2010