    cannot automatically limit the concurrent downloads.

    Has anyone found a way to use the old DLM instead of the new one?

    Mike

    Mike, Feb 20, 2011

  2. Mike

    Bill Sharpe Guest

    +1.

    I was about to send the same comments. The new DLM is definitely a step
    backwards.

    --
    _________________

    BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    _________________

    Bill Sharpe, Feb 21, 2011

  3. This isn't Microsoft's download manager, but Akami's. If you'll notice,
    you're not downloading directly from MS, but from the Akami servers. Because
    of the expected demand, MS offloaded to Akami for this download. I expect it
    to revert to MS servers after the initial rush is over.

    But I agree, I'm not a huge fan of the Akami DL manager. OTOH, having MS
    offload hyper-popular downloads like this is definitely better for everyone.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Feb 21, 2011
  4. Mike

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <ijtv1n$u7e$-september.org> "Charlie
    Sure, but a company the size of Microsoft (or Akami, for that matter)
    should be capable of delivering straight up HTTP downloads as well.

    The MAPS website has pushed the Akami downloader since they started
    offering downloads, with most downloads requiring it with a "Not all
    browsers can handle downloading large files", which is a special joke
    since only IE works on the MAPS site since it returns malformed code to
    non-IE browsers.

    Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done. Personally I just run
    the Akami downloader in a VM so I don't have to worry about whatever
    vulnerabilities it's installation adds to IE.

    Dave Warren, Feb 21, 2011