New development in photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Cooper, May 3, 2014.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    What's this describe?

    "A photo that exists physically - IRL. A photo that is a
    one-of-a-kind original that can be shared, exhibited and preserved. A
    photo that no longer needs an electronic device to be seen."

    Something new and innovative?
    No, it's a print. Adorama, in their new mini-catalog describes what a
    device does with an image from an iPhone photo. It makes a print.

    Tony Cooper, May 3, 2014

  2. Tony Cooper

    MC Guest

    Made for people with more money than sense... erm... that'll be iPhone
    users and/or Apple fanbois then.

    MC

    MC, May 4, 2014

  3. Tony Cooper

    Mort Guest

    Excuse my language, but I recently saw a bumper sticker that sums up
    many of life's problems, including this post about prints: "shit
    happens". My philosophy is simply this: when I see doggie droppings on
    the sidewalk, I do not get angry, I do not yell and scream at the owner;
    I just walk around it and go on my way. Perhaps that is merely the
    serenity of old age.

    Mort Linder

    Mort, May 4, 2014
  4. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    : What's this describe?
    :
    : "A photo that exists physically - IRL. A photo that is a
    : one-of-a-kind original that can be shared, exhibited and preserved. A
    : photo that no longer needs an electronic device to be seen."
    :
    : Something new and innovative?
    : V
    : V
    : V
    : ...
    : V
    : V
    : No, it's a print. Adorama, in their new mini-catalog describes what a
    : device does with an image from an iPhone photo. It makes a print.

    Not only do they not need an electronic device to be seen; you can sometimes
    get away without using any artificial light. If you take them outdoors in the
    daytime, they can often be viewed with ambient sunlight. You can even view
    them indoors if you're near a window and don't pull down the shade.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 4, 2014
  5. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    : Excuse my language, but I recently saw a bumper sticker that sums up
    : many of life's problems, including this post about prints: "shit
    : happens". My philosophy is simply this: when I see doggie droppings on
    : the sidewalk, I do not get angry, I do not yell and scream at the owner;
    : I just walk around it and go on my way. Perhaps that is merely the
    : serenity of old age.

    Being about Mort's age, I can confirm his recollection. When we were kids, it
    was assumed that dogs would do what they did wherever they were and that it
    was your fault if you stepped in it. (I believe the operative slogan, covering
    this and other ambulatory hazards, was "Watch your step".) If the worst
    happened, you cleaned off your shoes and moved on. The idea that a sane person
    would follow his dog around picking up the latter's shit was, quite simply,
    ludicrous.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 4, 2014
  6. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I stated, in the original post, that the information appeared in
    Adorama's mini-catalog. I received this catalog in the mail. If the
    same information does appear online, I haven't seen it and wouldn't
    bother to look it up.

    It's kinda indicative of the times that you should think that it's a
    reference to something online. We forget that there are other ways we
    obtain information and news.
    Yes, I know. I think what I saw in this is not what you're seeing:
    the humor of the bizarre. To me, it's bizarre and humorous to see a
    print described in a way that implies that it is something new,
    special, and innovative.

    If some maker of a compact camera comes out with an ad that says their
    product includes a viewfinder, and describes this feature as a new and
    innovative feature, I would find it be in the same vein of humor.
    I wasn't looking at that aspect at all.

    Tony Cooper, May 4, 2014
  7. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    I think that geese are outright liars. I made a deal that I would not
    crap on the grass where they walked and ate, if they would not crap on
    the sidewalk. I kept my part of the deal, but they didn't keep theirs.
    Any thoughts on appropriate retaliation?

    PeterN, May 4, 2014
  8. Tony Cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    Back in the mid '80s I took some classes at UConn. There was a lake on
    campus known to the students as "duck *beep* pond" (only the students
    didn't beep the expletive). One proposal at the time was to hold a game
    dinner night. With more than 20,000 students on campus this would have
    resolved the problem in short order. Of course, being a university,
    numerous objections were raised, ranging from food-safety to animal
    rights, and so that never happened. A quick google of "Uconn goose
    problem" found that as of 2009 they were still working on it.

    Personally if I were running UCONN I'd have put out a poll of the
    students, giving them three choices--kill the geese, fill the pond, or
    volunteer to shovel goose *beep*.

    J. Clarke, May 6, 2014