New D70 kills Canons 10D and D300 for 999

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hugo Drax, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. If you own a better keyboard, does it mean you can write English?

    Simon Gardner, Jan 29, 2004

  2. Hugo Drax

    HRosita Guest

    Well, I don't know about DSLR's but I remember the original Coolpix cameras
    where the 900 and the 950 were less than acceptable. Eventually Nikon came up
    with the 990 and 950 that were good for their time.

    It seems to me that most manufacturers released 2 or 3 models before they came
    out with a "good" product, including Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Fuji, Sony,
    Olympus, etc.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jan 29, 2004

  3. Hugo Drax

    Linda_N Guest

    Nikon has several VR (Vibration Reduction) lenses. They are all top quality
    (I do not own any of them put have loaned 2 for testing purposes and heard
    from pros (as in make their living in photography) on the others:

    24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED (glass type) IF AF-S VR Zoom $550 - $729 usd
    depending on where you shop online.

    80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED (glass type) AF VR Zoom - $700 - $960 usd. (I am not
    sure of the production date of this one, but if memory serves it is the
    oldest of the lot.

    70-200mm f/2.8G ED (glass type) IF AF-S VR Zoom - $1600 - $1960 usd (this is
    an excellent lens, lots of pros swear by it)

    A non-VR lens that is a must have if you are a Nikon SLR user is the extra
    short (and light!)

    80-200mm f/4.505.6D AF Zoom. Produces amazing shots for a cheapy (ranges
    from $216 - $365 usd online)

    My opinion on the Nikon vs Canon debate:
    Until the profits made from either Canon or Nikon land in my bank account I
    could care less who is better or worse in the leadership department. All I
    care about is who has the best for me at the time I have money to give over
    to them.

    Linda.

    Linda_N, Jan 29, 2004
  4. Hugo Drax

    Mark Roberts Guest

    It's capable of shooting at lower resolution (3104 x 2072 [6mp], 2544 x
    1696 [4.3mp] or 1728 x 1152 [2mp]) for PJs who so desire and the full 8
    megapixels for those who want/need more resolution.

    Sounds like it competes with both the D1x *and* the D2h.

    Mark Roberts, Jan 29, 2004
  5. Hugo Drax

    Bo Stevens Guest

    You claim to be mocking, and then in the next paragraph continue with more
    of the same over the top claims. You have failed to demonstrate how the
    Nikon lens is overall a better lens. FWIW, in the future if you are going
    to claim to be factual, at least have the decency to be so.

    Try the following URL, and then click on the 70-200 f/2.8 lens on the right.
    You will discover that this lens has the third generation of IS and does
    provide 3 stops of IS.

    Again, can you provide side by side images taken with both lenses that
    demonstrates this remarkable difference that you claim?

    As for the judgement of zealousness, I will leave that to others. LOL

    Bo Stevens, Jan 29, 2004
  6. Hugo Drax

    Bo Stevens Guest

    Trying to defend Nikon? You make no sense.

    Anyway, I have never said anything negative about Nikon or their camera
    system. I even own some Nikon stuff and find that it performs very well. I
    think the only ones on the verge of a heart attack here is our good friend
    Paolo and yourself. Peace dude, these are only cameras.

    Bo Stevens, Jan 29, 2004
  7. Hugo Drax

    Bo Stevens Guest

    You do realize that you are every bit the equivalent of Spadaro, don't you?

    Bo Stevens, Jan 29, 2004
  8. Hugo Drax

    Bo Stevens Guest

    Care to provide a link that supports that assertion? I am not saying you
    are right or wrong, this is just the first time I have ever heard the claim
    that Apple actually licensed anything from Xerox.

    Bo Stevens, Jan 29, 2004
  9. Hugo Drax

    Linda_N Guest

    Canon already has that next camera is my guess...the Rebel 300D with
    features that are currently disabled enabled and renamed to the Rebel 400D.
    I suspect Canon disabled features on purpose, let Nikon see the crippled
    wares, waited for Nikon to reply to see how far Nikon was willing to thin
    the line between their medium pro range and amatuer dSLR. In my opinion
    Canon intentionally crippled the Rebel knowing full well they could gain the
    holiday crowd and the quick to jump on new technology crowd (P&S to hardly
    dSLR), all the while forcing Nikon's hand. It was a win all the way around
    for Canon, especially since consumers seem to have enough money to keep
    purchasing the upgrades being passed off as new models. (Look at the minor
    changes between Canon PS S30, S45, S50...really not much difference yet all
    3 models made a fortune for Canon.) I am not as up to date on the G1, G2,
    G3, G4 and G5 but have read others saying the differences between G3 and G5
    are minimal (mostly bug or oversight fixes) yet they are completely new
    models. Canon Rebel 400D will probably follow the same path, but of course
    only time will tell.

    Linda.

    Linda_N, Jan 29, 2004
  10. Hugo Drax

    JoeInArizona Guest

    Yes, I'm game. $5000 bet comparing today or
    we can wager a comparison of cameras available in the same market at a
    defined price point in X months. Are you game?

    JoeInArizona, Jan 29, 2004
  11. Hugo Drax

    Colm Guest

    Canon had one. Nikon had to follow....
    :)

    Colm, Jan 29, 2004
  12. Hugo Drax

    Sloopy Guest

    Does ScienceDaily.com work for you? Learn to use Google and you'll find
    plenty of sources:

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/Apple_Computer

    -Sloopy

    Sloopy, Jan 29, 2004
  13. Hugo Drax

    Gavin Cato Guest

    Good point.

    Gavin Cato, Jan 29, 2004
  14. Hugo Drax

    Gavin Cato Guest

    Oh yeah thats a real definitive source if I ever saw one.

    Gav

    Gavin Cato, Jan 29, 2004
  15. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Because hypocrisy irritates me like few other things.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  16. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    For the first time in my life, I have to agree with Sloopy.
    What he says is pretty much factual.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  17. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Yeah, and by the same token you should be thankful to Nikon
    if there are Canon pro DSLR's... Or maybe your usual double
    standard applies again? ;-)

    BTW, you may not know that because you don't seem to know
    or care much for products without a Canon logo on, but image
    stabilization was actually a Nikon idea. Only they didn't act on
    it because they believed the market would not be interested in
    anything like that.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  18. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Nope, comparing when the D70 is available this coming spring.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  19. Hugo Drax

    Mark M Guest

    Have a look in the mirror, bub.
    Nobody here as been as steadfastly brand-centric as you.
    But you are free to continue, of course.
    :)
    If you wish to persuade, though, you might want to take the plank from your
    own eye before you rail against the splinter is other's eyes.
    (See? The Bible even relates to photography!)
    :)

    Mark M, Jan 29, 2004
  20. Hugo Drax

    Mark M Guest

    I have clearly acknowledged the benefit of Nikon products causing good
    things for Canon users.
    Ah. Similarly though, every human being in history (think Nikon) dreamed of
    sustained flight.
    Only the Wright Brothers (think Canon) receive credit for bringing it into
    existence.
    On guard! :)

    Mark M, Jan 29, 2004