    perfect it until it's actually *better* than your competitor's
    and then introduce it to the market. Somehow, I tend
    to prefer the latter...

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004

  2. Hugo Drax

    JoeInArizona Guest

    Can you show us your objective digital picture comparisons of the 300D
    versus D70 that show the D70 is better? Which store is selling the D70?
    I wouldn't be counting chickens until they hatch.

    Based on specs presumably the D70 can be better. That doesn't mean
    tomorrow Canon isn't going to announce something better, or lower
    the prices on their cameras once competition heats up. Based on Canons
    history since the D30, this is something we can expect. As many have
    said, the competition is good for the consumer.

    JoeInArizona, Jan 29, 2004

  3. Hugo Drax

    JoeInArizona Guest

    Don't know. Why do you ask? Probably because they want to be safe, but I
    wouldn't recommend it.
    Perhaps some of us cared about the $1000+ price difference. Perhaps some
    of us cared that there were non existing apps on the Mac. I guess you
    were stuck with a pretty looking expensive computer that couldn't do
    as much. :)
    Are you suggesting that a vast amount of people purchased the IBM PC
    because they were stupid?

    JoeInArizona, Jan 29, 2004
  4. Hugo Drax

    Mark M Guest

    That's pretty funny.
    After 8 years, Nikon has succeeded in bringing a whopping 2 lenses...and
    those only recently.
    While you're busy being patient, I've been busy shooting images using my 4
    IS lenses. That's many thousands of shots that couldn't have been taken
    well without it...where a tripod wouldn't have been feasible, and many
    places where even a monopod would create problems.
    You and your patience...and Nikon's supposed pondering have left you cold
    once again.

    Mark M, Jan 29, 2004
  5. Hugo Drax

    Bo Stevens Guest

    Care to explain what "BEATS THE CRAP out of the Canon counterpart" means?
    Both lenses take wonderful pictures and anyone who claims that there is a
    difference, much less a noticeable difference, between the lenses is talking
    nonsense. I would expect such outrageous claims from only a zealot.

    Bo Stevens, Jan 29, 2004
  6. Hugo Drax

    Bo Stevens Guest

    Seems like you are happy enough.

    Bo Stevens, Jan 29, 2004
  7. Hugo Drax

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 29, 2004
  8. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Really? Guess on which platform was Adobe Photoshop
    first available? Yeah, I'm registered user since v.1.00...
    How many people who have only used a PC can claim that?
    Actually it could do a lot more than a PC for me.
    Two words: desktop publishing. Something the PC
    world only discovered in fairly recent times.
    No, I'm just suggesting at the time the Mac was vastly superior
    and enormously innovative (so much that dear Bill had to resort
    to ripping off the Mac OS for Win95 to be a huge success.)
    Now IMHO it has lost its edge, and I've been using PC only
    for about 6-7 years. I still remember my macs very fondly.
    I guess not following the "leader" helped me considerably, as
    very few PC-only guys have the kind of experience I have
    accumulated with computer graphics and desktop publishing
    over the years. And I owe that to the Mac and to a vision
    that would not follow the market leader...

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  9. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Make it 3 (24-120, 80-400, 70-200), with a fourth coming
    real soon (200-400) and a slew of others following thereafter.
    Right, like before IS/VR it was impossible to shoot with a telephoto
    lens... You must be pretty young. I guess it's unconceivable to you
    that someone might have even used full-manual telephotos and even
    with superb results...
    Oh well, my 70-200VR is much better than the Canon counterpart,
    so I guess it was well worth the wait...

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  10. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    How interesting Tony that you are making fun of the ludicrous
    claims you make about Nikon...

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  11. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Wanna bet? Let's say $5000? Are you game?

    I know the D70 has an improved version of the sensor
    in my D100 and I know that Nikon isn't like Canon,
    releasing turkeys and "fixing" them with new models, leaving
    its customers in the dark... So, I'm pretty confident with
    any kind of wager.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  12. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Just mocking the same kind of language used by Canon
    fundamentalists. Sounds silly, doesn't it?
    Well, the Nikkor is a much more modern lens with a more advanced
    stabilization. According to Canon, their lens "reduces" two f-stops.
    The 70-200VR reduces three. It was designed later and it takes
    advantage of improved and more modern technology. This is factual,
    check it out. Still, the Canon is not a bad lens and I will not put it down.
    But the Nikkor is overall a better lens, no doubt about it. And if you can't
    accept that a Nikon product can be superior to its Canon counterpart,
    well, then we know who the real zealot is...

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  13. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    You bet, it's kinda payback for the anti-Nikon venom of
    people like Spadaro.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  14. Hugo Drax

    Mark M Guest

    OK. That's great! Way to follow the leader there, Nikon! :)
    ( I couldn't resist...)
    But look...If you get to count the "almost here" lenses, then I get to count
    the 2 additional IS lenses Canon announced today... That's 12 IS and
    counting. :)
    You should be thankful to Canon. Because of them, you have your own Nikon
    IS!
    Everybody's happy-happy-happy!! :)

    Mark M, Jan 29, 2004
  15. Hugo Drax

    Crownfield Guest

    I thought that both gates and apple ripped off zerox PARC.

    Crownfield, Jan 29, 2004
  16. Hugo Drax

    Gavin Cato Guest

    Don't mention Nikon's dominance in the wide angle area or he might have a
    heart attack trying to defend it.

    Gavin Cato, Jan 29, 2004
  17. Hugo Drax

    Sloopy Guest

    Apple didn't rip off Xerox PARC.

    Apple made a deal with Xerox to use the technology.

    -Sloopy

    Sloopy, Jan 29, 2004
  18. Don't these discussions say a lot about the participants!

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 29, 2004
  19. Hugo Drax

    MarkH Guest

    According to Canon the 70-200 f2.8L IS lens has a second generation IS that
    reduces camera shake by up to 3 stops. I checked it out and you are wrong.

    Check this:
    http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm

    Canon EF 2.8 70-200mm USM L IS  4.10 (2) = very-good
    Nikkor AF-S 2.8 70-200mm ED-IF VR D 3.67 (2) = good

    I think that it is clear that the Canon is noticably better out of the 2.

    MarkH, Jan 29, 2004
  20. Hugo Drax

    Colm Guest

    If his opinion is so irrelevant, why does it feature so highly in your
    posts?

    Colm, Jan 29, 2004