    Charlie Self
    "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was
    tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

    Charlie Self, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Hugo Drax

    Charlie Self Guest

    Hugo Drax responds:
    For what? A set of unconfirmed specs and a photo?

    Charlie Self, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Hugo Drax

    Charlie Self Guest

    Unconfirmed press releases do not a camera make. They have not yet come out
    with the D70. They have announced it, in the hopes of creating a stagger in
    Canon sales. If everyone were like you and your buddies, it would work fairly
    well. I'd far prefer to wait until it's out and tested to make any judgments as
    to whether it's a 'killer' camera, a step in the right direction, or too little
    too late.

    Charlie Self, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Hugo Drax

    Gavin Cato Guest

    They are not unconfirmed specs, they are confirmed.

    Gavin Cato, Jan 29, 2004
  5. Hugo Drax

    Mark M Guest

    The rest of what?

    The D30 opened the market in a time when DSLRs were $5K and up.
    The D60 dropped the price to 2K while doubling resolution.
    The 10D took a leap forward and still hacked off another $500.
    The 300D took off another $600.
    In each of these cases, Nikon had to play catch-up with either the gear
    itself, or the price.
    If you disagree with that, then surely you are prepared to explain why(?).

    Mark M, Jan 29, 2004
  6. Hugo Drax

    Mark M Guest

    Yes.
    Confirmed **specs.** -But no product for some time to come.
    Meanwhile, Canon continues to grab up new buyers with the 300D.
    It's too bad, really.

    Mark M, Jan 29, 2004
  7. Hugo Drax

    Gavin Cato Guest

    And Canon had no answer for the D1 similarly.
    The D60 was a pile of crap completely outclassed by the D100.
    And still isn't as fast as the D100, and plagued with AF problems, and still
    doesn't have spot metering.
    It's not catchup. It's just they take their time and don't rush their
    products like Canon does.

    This is why the nikon product life is longer than Canon, as it doesn't need
    to be replaced that quickly.

    Canon idiots interpret that as nikon struggling, thats their mistake not
    nikons.

    Gavin Cato, Jan 29, 2004
  8. Hugo Drax

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Now Mark, it's not nice to tease religious fanatics. Fun, but not nice
    :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Jan 29, 2004
  9. Hugo Drax

    JoeInArizona Guest

    Its interesting on how many fanatics there are in the camera world
    compared to people who look at the market objectively. There is little
    point in discussing the camera market with a fanatic. They are going to
    view everything from their point of view and don't care about market
    leaders.

    JoeInArizona, Jan 29, 2004
  10. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Hugo,

    you don't know how much I respect your position vs. the one
    held by Spadaro and other Canon fundamentalists. I have actually
    advised several people to buy the 300D because they didn't want
    to spend more than $1,000 and Nikon had nothing available for
    that price. Someone like Spadaro will NEVER recommend the
    D70 because it goes against his religion. Instead he will go on
    with his ridiculous anti-Nikon terrorism. Yesterday he advised
    someone to buy the 300D because allegedly (a bold-faced lie...)
    Nikon will release the D70 after the summer!!! When confronted,
    he said that is what Nikon claims in their PR piece. Too bad it
    says SPRING 2004....

    If I were Nikon USA, I would sue his sorry ass, but then
    again the guy's opinion is so IRRELEVANT, it would be
    almost impossible to prove there was any economic damage.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  11. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    There are hundreds of thousands of P&S shooters around
    the world who are considering the upgrade to a DSLR. The
    game is far from over and Nikon just tied and scored an
    extra point.

    I will be more than happy to see a Canon response to the
    D70 and I won't try to put it down even before it's released,
    like Spadaro is doing with the D70. After all, we all have
    to gain from this competition (something Spadaro will probably
    never be able to understand...)

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  12. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Why don't you get some INFORMATION before you post such
    ludicrous claims? Even seen a 70-200VR? It simply BEATS THE
    CRAP out of the Canon counterpart.
    Nikon has been the first to introduce pro-level DSLR's.
    So what?
    So, are you trying to get people to buy the 300D even though the D70
    is MUCH BETTER?

    You are really objective and unbiased...

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  13. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Religious fanatics are never happy when someone other than
    Canon has a good product.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  14. Hugo Drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Why would anybody buy ONLY from "market leaders"?
    MS-DOS was certainly the market leader when Apple
    came up and re-invented the personal computer. I guess
    you were stuck with crappy DOS just because Apple was
    never a "market leader"?

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 29, 2004
  15. Hugo Drax

    Mark M Guest

    Honestly, I think you are reading Tony wrong. I can't count how many times
    he's taken NO side between similar Canon and Nikon bodies when folks ask for
    a preference. It comes up all the time.
    However, there seems little doubt that Canon has been truly innovative in
    the past 5-10 years, while Nikon has been more slow moving. Both are fine
    companies with world-class gear.

    Mark M, Jan 29, 2004
  16. Hugo Drax

    Mark M Guest

    Nikon IS struggling to keep up in terms of the market.
    This is what I've been referring to when I talk of Nikon missing
    opportunities due their slow pace.

    Mark M, Jan 29, 2004
  17. Hugo Drax

    Mark M Guest

    I've noticed that a disproportionate number of Apple fans seem to dis many
    other "leaders".
    It seems to be a personality thing. I don't know, but it does seem that
    way.
    -Kinda the same crowd that tends to just adore the Volkwagen Beetle
    (especially if they drive with a flower bud in in the vase). :)
    No disrespect to Apple or V W, mind you. They just seem to attract similar
    folk.

    Mark M, Jan 29, 2004
  18. Hugo Drax

    Mark M Guest

    It's really quite odd how you keep using present tense verbs to describe a
    camera that does not yet exist for comparison. You should check that.

    As to Nikon's 70-200VR... Hooray for Nikon! I'm glad they've got it. Good
    for them.
    Meanwhile, Canon is on their third generation of the technology, and builds
    it into no less than TEN lenses...from consumer grade to high-end
    professional. It's great that Nikon is coming around to what Canon figured
    out years ago. All the better for competition. But even one who's slow in
    the head would have to concede that Canon is WAY out in front with this.

    Mark M, Jan 29, 2004
  19. Hugo Drax

    Mark M Guest

    Didn't mean to...
    Some do indeed feel teased by the facts sometimes, I guess.
    :)

    Mark M, Jan 29, 2004
  20. Hugo Drax

    Mark M Guest

    I must not be a fanatic then.
    I've praised and celebrated these things from Nikon.
    They bring good to all...either in product, or simple competition.
    Their D2h looks like a great unit. -Mainly because it adds things not
    present elsewhere.
    I like that kind of innovation.
    --Which is, again, a reason I am confident about Canon...they are on a roll
    in this regard.

    Mark M, Jan 29, 2004