New copyright act/BBC DRM/streaming overseas

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Damos, May 7, 2008.

  1. Damos

    Damos Guest

    If the new copyright acts specifically allows you to bypass DRM install
    for geographical reasons. (I imgaine this was to get round the poor number
    of dvd's in our region)
    Does this mean it allows me to bypass the DRM on bbc streaming which is
    limited to the uk?
    Opinions?

    Damos

    --
    "It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
    or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our

    Carl Sagan.

    Damos, May 7, 2008

  2. I don't think the BBC's DRM is geography-based.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 7, 2008

  3. Damos

    Nho Whei Guest

    I've read their mpeg4 stream is drm-free - at least whilst in beta...

    Nho Whei, May 7, 2008
  4. Damos

    Damos Guest

    Well I tried using Iplayer and got this
    http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/download_programmes/outsideuk

    http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/download_programmes/download_uk

    Back to pondering bit torrents I suppose

    Damos

    Damos, May 7, 2008
  5. Damos

    Dave Taylor Guest

    yup, sad isn't it.
    Left hand, here is right hand, now talk.

    Dave Taylor, May 7, 2008
  6. Damos

    Nho Whei Guest

    Nho Whei, May 7, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 7, 2008
  8. Damos

    Damos Guest

    OK you are probably strictly true but could the spirit of the law be
    invoked to defend us against hacking this feed.
    I mean parallel importing is legal. Could an analogy be used?

    Curious

    D.

    Damos, May 7, 2008
  9. :) There are many threads on the BBC and limitations to their on line
    content. Surprisingly (to me anyway) the BBC themselves seem to want to lock
    their content down, for what ever reasons and are being unhelpful to those
    who have systems that can't see their content and complained (along the
    lines of "we pay our licence fee and can't see some of what we are paying
    for you bastards!"). Whether they have signed some agreement requiring them
    to do this or not I don't know, but there are many in the uk that think this
    service is broken, let alone outside the uk.
    Not surprising then that in many of the threads, how to unlock their content
    is a high priority. :)
    Once this is done (as it always is) it would then be your choice whether or
    not to use it. As (I imagine) we are not subject to uk law except where
    there are international agreements, I can't see a problem here. Even if
    there was, you then need to ask if they care enough to sue you, assuming
    they knew. :)

    Note IANAL, and all risks are assumed by the streamer. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 8, 2008