    Slight problem. My new computer has a SATA hard drive and my old computer
    hard drive is IDE. How can I fit it in my new computer?
    Tracy

    Tracy, Mar 18, 2007

  2. In
    IDE to SATA adaptor?

    Oksana Gutteridge, Mar 18, 2007

  3. Tracy

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In "Tracy"
    If you have a spare PCI slot, you can just buy an IDE controller for
    your disk, like this:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816132005

    Otherwise, inline adapters exist, like these

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812156010
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812206002

    Bert Hyman, Mar 18, 2007
  4. Tracy

    old man Guest

    If the old HD is an o/s drive and you want to use this win installation as
    your boot drive, it aint going to work.
    Excepting perhaps if you have the origonal retail edition of win to perform
    a repair installation.

    old man, Mar 18, 2007
  5. Tracy

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Doesn't the new computer have an IDE connector on the motherboard?

    Mistoffolees, Mar 18, 2007
  6. Tracy

    Sonic Guest

    As it is going to be a second/additional HDD and it's IDE
    It is almost 100% certain that your new PC will have a free
    IDE connection -Your DVD burner will be on an IDE channel
    IDE channels can accomadate two devices, one as master
    and one as slave. And there may well be a totally free IDE
    channel on the mobo which will accomadate two additional
    devices.

    Sonic, Mar 19, 2007
  7. Tracy

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Not necessarily. Some new PCs do not have any IDE channels. They come with
    all SATA drives, so there's no reason for IDE.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 19, 2007
  8. Tracy

    Sonic Guest

    They won't get many sales without an IDE channel as though there
    are indeed sata dvd burners, the majority are IDE, I'd be interested
    for a link to a marketed PC that lacks an IDE channel. Just one example?

    Sonic, Mar 19, 2007
  9. Tracy

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Try Dell desktops. Here's a link to customer reviews on Amazon having to add
    IDE to Dell systems
    <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...omer-reviews.sort_by=-SubmissionDate&n=172282

    And here's one from another source citing Dell systems as having no IDE:
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=212560&start=0

    And the most recent Dell Optiplex 320 systems I set up at the office had no
    IDE.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 19, 2007
  10. Tracy

    DanR Guest

    I just had a Dell E521 apart last week specifically looking for IDE. Could
    not find a trace.
    Google this:
    "dell e521" "no ide"

    DanR, Mar 19, 2007
  11. Tracy

    Meat Plow Guest

    Does the new computer have a PATA controller and connectors?

    Meat Plow, Mar 19, 2007
  12. Tracy

    JANA Guest

    If your mother board has an IDE controller built in it, just get the ribbon
    cables and connect the drive. Go in to the BIOS, and make sure that the
    drive is enabled. You should be able to use it as a second drive for backups
    and data.

    If your mother board does not have an IDE controller built in, you can buy
    an IDE controller card that plugs in to an unused slot. This should also
    work.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    Hi I have bought a new computer and thought I would just take my old 160 gig
    second hard drive from my old computer and put it in my new computer.

    JANA, Mar 19, 2007
  13. Tracy

    Stara Suka Guest

    Dell

    :
    : : >
    : > : >>
    : >> : >>> Hi I have bought a new computer and thought I would just take
    my old 160
    : >>> gig second hard drive from my old computer and put it in my
    new
    : >>> computer.
    : >>> Slight problem. My new computer has a SATA hard drive and my
    old
    : >>> computer hard drive is IDE. How can I fit it in my new
    computer?
    : >>> Tracy
    : >>>
    : >>

    Stara Suka, Mar 19, 2007
  14. Tracy

    Stara Suka Guest

    : On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:29:56 +0000, Tracy wrote:
    :
    : > Hi I have bought a new computer and thought I would just take my
    old 160 gig
    : > second hard drive from my old computer and put it in my new
    computer.
    : > Slight problem. My new computer has a SATA hard drive and my old
    computer
    : > hard drive is IDE. How can I fit it in my new computer?
    : > Tracy
    :
    : Does the new computer have a PATA controller and connectors?
    :
    : --
    : Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
    :
    : COOSN-266-06-25794

    WTF is PATA? Also, when I have my reader set to
    read/write in one font, why do our messages force me to squint?
    :
    :

    Stara Suka, Mar 19, 2007
  15. Tracy

    WhzzKdd Guest

    PATA is Parallel ATA, which is what IDE has been for many years. PATA is
    used to differentiate that interface from SATA - Serial ATA.

    As for the second question, have you had your eye prescription checked
    lately? <g>

    WhzzKdd, Mar 19, 2007