    Chris Norred
    Tech Editor
    (This post provided as is and implies no warranties)

    Guest, Feb 14, 2005

  2. Guest

    Bill Guest

    Thanks for the link. I also note Bowman reads this NG. Thats really a plus
    in my books
    Bill

    Bill, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Hi Bill,
    Yes, I read this (and several other newsgroups) everything here.
    Wireless Security (or the lack of it) is a huge issue. Not using
    wireless security is like leaving your front door open and a checkbook
    filled with blank unsigned checks on the coffee table. Using less than
    the strongest security available is like leaving the front door open
    and keeping the checkbook in a drawer that someone just needs to hunt
    around for.

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Feb 15, 2005
  4. Guest

    DJ Borell Guest

    Barb,

    I read your article and found it to be a very useful tool. I deal with
    clients (and family) constantly who don't bother with "the hassle" of
    securing their wireless networks. Even sitting in my home office, I can
    pick up no less than four completely unsecured wireless networks. On all
    but one of them, file and printer-sharing are enabled. The common attitude
    I see is, "Well, if someone wants to use my internet for a while, what do I
    care?" People just don't seem to get it.

    So, of course, I forwarded the link for people to use as kind of a "second
    opinion" if you will.

    One thing you hit on, but that I would love to see addressed more in-depth,
    is the "why?" of securing a wireless network - not just for the good of your
    own system, but for the common good (ie, inhibiting malicious activities).
    If you know of any good "horror stories"...well, not good for the victim,
    but good as a lesson-learned...I think that would be a great article to pass
    on.

    Thanks for your efforts!
    DJ

    DJ Borell, Feb 16, 2005
  5. Guest

    Bill Guest

    Barb,

    Do you make house calls? :)

    In all the years I have learnt about the PC I must admit I had never learnt
    about networking since I became a small business owner working at home. Its
    just me and the one machine. I bought my daughter a laptop last Christmas
    and now have a wireless network hooked up, and it was like starting all
    over from DOS 3.1 LOL New terms etc etc..Thanks to this NG, and Carey
    Holzmans(spell?) web site, and now your article I am slowly learning the ins
    and outs. My daughter is happy as heck as she is diminishing some work in
    college and can do her internet research and print without bugging me...

    Thanks again for your work, its greatly appreciated
    Bill

    Bill, Feb 16, 2005
  6. I'm glad you've found the column useful. There are lots of horror
    stories out there and if enough people want examples, I certainly can
    provide them. Take a look at
    http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=50693

    excerpt from this Manchester Union Leader story about a theft ring:
    ".Authorities said Hunter Moore of 92 Sixth Ave., Manchester, also
    obtained some credit card information by driving around neighborhoods
    and grabbing the account numbers from cyberspace with his wireless
    laptop computer. ".

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Feb 16, 2005
  7. Your experience is not uncommon. Some day, it will be a lot easier to
    setup a network with strong security. This is going to take the
    cooperation of a wide and diverse group of manufacturers who produce
    everything from wireless routers to wireless DVD players and wireless
    PDA's.

    There are some great folks in this wireless community..

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Feb 16, 2005