    is £100 more than I want to pa,y so this leads me to the Canon A75 or the
    Oympus Camedia C-360. Are both of these OK cameras? or could I do better for
    my money - in terms of quality of image, ease of use, reliability??

    enorehtonatey, Nov 7, 2004

  2. enorehtonatey

    MB_ Guest

    I recently got the A75. I like it. Very sharp crisp images. Easy to use. But
    I am a rank amateur and I haven't used too many of the sophisticated
    features. Movie mode works great too.

    Mel

    MB_, Nov 7, 2004

  3. Looking at previous messages I see reference to the
    "A series Canon soft image problem"

    Is there really such thing?

    Should I stay clear of the Canon?

    enorehtonatey, Nov 7, 2004
  4. enorehtonatey

    Steve Guest

    enorehtonatey:

    The A series Canon soft image problem, is a very real problem and it has
    been known for several years. It was quite noticable in the A series Canon
    that I formerly owned. Besides the soft image problem, my A series Canon had
    2 defects that Canon FAILED to repair 3 times so I would not recommend an A
    series Canon to you. The S series Canons are made in a different factory
    than the A series so the S1 is probably OK. Personally, I like the Nikon
    Coolpix line, but then you indicated that you had a problem with a CP 2100.

    BTW, what problem did you have with your CP 2100.

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 8, 2004
  5. It worked perfecty until one day recently. First sign of trouble was that
    when the review button was pressed it brought up the wrong pics. Then a few
    minutes later it just went dead. A few days later, it whirred into life but
    only for a few seconds and would not do anything. New batteries and leaving
    the batteries out has not solved problem. Nikon approved repair centre say
    it is probably the power board and would be around £60 + 17.5% V to repair.
    Clearly it is not worth paying that when its successor is now little more
    than that new.

    Thanks for your comments about the S1. It is more than I feel I can afford,
    but then I've been without a camcorder since my Sony one gave up the ghost,
    and the S1 looks like it would fulfill that role as well. Funnily enough,
    the Sony camcorder, like the Nikon, was just out of guarantee. I think the
    camera manufacturers should really have the confidence to give their
    products a 2 or 3 year guarantee.

    enorehtonatey, Nov 8, 2004
  6. enorehtonatey wrote:
    []
    Isn't there a mandatory minimum 2 year guarantee in the EU these days?

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 8, 2004

  7. I don't think so but I'll try to cross post this to uk.legal and hope for an
    informed reply . . . .

    enorehtonatey, Nov 8, 2004
  8. enorehtonatey

    tim Guest

    The EU directive required that countries change their consumer
    protection so that it provided redress for a minimum of two years.

    After much initial thinking that this meant that a two year
    guarentee was to be compulsory HMG decided that the current
    6 year period (5 in scotland) during which the seller was legally
    liable was sufficient to meet the requirements of the directive.

    Of course, enforcing your rights againts the seller is a lot
    harder than invoking the terms of a guarentee and in the case
    of complete failure the UK rules allow a deduction for 'fair use',
    but such is life.

    tim

    tim, Nov 8, 2004
  9. enorehtonatey

    Richard Guest

    The sales of goods act allows that items should have a reasonable
    life. Thus an expensive sony camcorder could be argued to have a life
    of more than 1 year. Your contract is with the seller and not the
    manufacturer and thus any argument must be taken you with them. They
    do not have to offer you a full refund as they can deduct an amount
    for 'fair use' They can offer to repair. Many retailers (especially
    the biger ones ) will try and avoid their duties under the sales of
    goods act. For clarification talk to your local trading standards
    office.

    You have to be able to 'prove' that the fault existed, or was inherent
    at the time of purchase. ie a manufacturing fault. Wear and tear do
    not count.

    see
    http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/guide/sogtraderguide.pdf

    Richard

    Richard, Nov 8, 2004
  10. enorehtonatey

    Peter Parry Guest

    No there is not. People have mixed up two pieces of legislation. In
    much of Europe consumer protection law was limited to the warranty
    period, in other places there was no explicit time limit for bringing
    cases and the only limit was a general statute of limitations. The
    EU directive which led to the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumer
    Legislation introduced a minimum limitation period (the period in
    which any claim could be made) to two years. In the UK this period
    was already set at 6 years by the Statute of Limitations and had been
    for many years so it remained unchanged.

    This period (be it 2 or 6 years) is simply a limitation period.
    Outside it no claim can be brought irrespective of its merits.
    Neither EU nor national legislation introduced any requirement for
    any guarantee whatsoever, much less one with an explicit time period.

    Peter Parry, Nov 8, 2004
  11. enorehtonatey

    MB_ Guest

    Steve:

    Can you elaborate on the problems regarding the A series?? I'm not sure what
    is meant by a soft image problem.

    Mel

    MB_, Nov 9, 2004
  12. Richard wrote:
    []
    I thought that it was now the opposite (at least in the UK) - the retailer
    has to prove that the goods were /not/ faulty at the time of sale.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 9, 2004
  13. enorehtonatey

    Peter Parry Guest

    Only for 6 months after the sale.

    Peter Parry, Nov 9, 2004
  14. According to the link posted recently:

    http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/wirral/support/support1.htm

    if you complain during the first six months, the onus is on the seller to
    prove there is nothing wrong; after six months, you have to prove that
    there's a fault.

    Also, if I read the page correctly, only "fair" wear and tear can be used
    as an excuse to duck repair/replacement/(partial) refund... plucking
    figures from the air, it might be "fair" for a £50 p&s to "wear out" in two
    years, but could be deemed "unfair" for a £1000 dSLR to do the same (but
    you'd probably need to bring in "expert" opinion to back this up).

    Regards,

    Graham Holden, Nov 9, 2004
  15. enorehtonatey

    Alex Butcher Guest

    Olympus cited a change in EU law as the reason why the warranty on their
    cameras had been extended from one to two years:

    ===
    Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:53:15 +0100
    Subject: Re: Digital Camera Warranty

    Dear Alex

    Thanks for your email.

    Your right...consumer law has now changed. Any camera bought on or after
    the 1st April has a 2 yr warranty.

    Regards

    Ms Harjit Sohotey
    Senior Receptionist/Telecoms Administrator
    Marketing/Communications

    Olympus UK Ltd
    2-8 Honduras St
    London
    EC1Y OTX
    Tel: 020 7253 xxxx
    Fax: 020 7250 xxxx
    mail to:
    ===

    Best Regards,
    Alex.

    Alex Butcher, Nov 9, 2004
  16. I finally decided on the Canon S plus a high speed 1 GB CF card and have
    ordered one. Thanks to all who responded here to this oft asked question.

    enorehtonatey, Nov 13, 2004
  17. enorehtonatey

    Renee Guest

    Enorehtonatey, I don't think you'll be sorry for your decision. Mostly all
    the S1 owners who post in this ng and other forums seem happy with it.

    Be sure to get rechargeable batteries as soon as possible. The regular
    batteries last only a short while; the rechargeables last a long time.

    Renee

    Renee, Nov 13, 2004
  18. When one remembers what digital camera prices were like just a few years
    ago, today's camera's seem just too good to be true. I just hope the S1 will
    last longer than the Nikon Coolpix . . . and I wonder what sort of specs the
    camera I'll eventually replace it with might have.

    I've got loads of rechargeable NiMH AAs already. I used them in the Nikon as
    well a whole list of other devices. That it takes AA batteries is one of the
    reasons I chose this camera.

    Andrew

    enorehtonatey, Nov 13, 2004